Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BR's dyno testing and new parts development continues...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good stuff as always!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know the thread that the PCV valve is? i tried NPT and its not a pipe thread.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Great! I can't wait to see where this goes!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The valves that have been posted in MY thread about catch cans are one way check valves like a PCV correct? Which allows the breather to be attached to a boost/vacuum source to pull a vacuum under vacuum conditions and not push boost into the engine under boosted conditions, correct? If not please explain what the purpose is.
David, sorry for posting the info in your thread, I thought it pertained, and saw it mentioned, so I figured I would post up more info. If you would like it removed just let me know and I'll delete it all with no problems!

They are heavy-duty one-way check valves that will not clog, stick, or foul from oil sludge passing through them. The function you have posted above is correct. I have one between my stock PCV valve and intake manifold, and the other on the valve cover breather port with then runs to a catch-can, which is then run to the intake pipe. Setup this way, the crankcase should see vacuum under all engine conditions since when one valve is open the other is closed.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

How is this any different from the Saiko-Kun dual catch can, which has been around for a while?
There was a rather extended discussion about catch cans a while back:
PCV discussion: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=200793
Saiko-Kun catch can: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=209109

FWIW, I've been running the dual catch can for over 2 years now in between the intake manifold and PCV vent on the back of the head, and the intake pipe and PCV vent on the side of the head. Works great ... doesn't usually collect much on the intake manifold side, but does collect more gunk on the intake pipe side.

l8r)
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

If David's setup is not vacuum assisted through the intake manifold then there is no need for a one-way valve. Seeing as the Turbo Intake doesn't reach positive pressure, there is no need to restrict the direction of flow with a valve that also restricts the amount of air that can be flown in the desired direction.

It seems the difference between this and the DC series cans that Saikou Michi sells is that David's is one large can for both ports that drains back into the engine and is only vacuum assisted by the intake.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The post is fine, don't delete it. I can live with it. Thank you for the information.

I want to explain this further now that I have more information from everyone.

The valve that was pictured from S2kracka is a good idea to insure that no boost pressure from the intake manifold is pushed back into the valve cover/crankcase. It is not the same part or principle that I am doing with this can.

The other catch can set up that ludikrat is talking about I have seen. I did not go read the thread, maybe in a little while I will.

The main difference between any other catch can and the one I have built is the oil that ends up in the can is sent back to the oil pan. The can will never fill up or leak, doesn't have to be drained and because of this will only pull clean vapors back through the turbo, no oil.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

...The main difference between any other catch can and the one I have built is the oil that ends up in the can is sent back to the oil pan. The can will never fill up or leak, doesn't have to be drained and because of this will only pull clean vapors back through the turbo, no oil...
Ah, ok. I got it.

I do have to drain mine periodically

l8r)
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dave, nice work , I too have about half of my system complete,

this is what I came up with,

I have the part that goes from my stock pcv to the air/oil separator and then to the intake manifold.

I will be doing a return to the block from the bottom of the baffled catch can, The hole in the block that I will using, is the little bolt, that you stick a screw driver in when you need to stop the balance shaft from spinning during a timing belt change.

Good luck with your project.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I cannot vent our can to the intake with a one way valve, if this was done underboost the crank case would build pressure and smoke like a freight train, like it did on the dyno. In order to do that you need a breather on the catch can or an open hole or something.

In the case of our system it is completely closed, no open vent, no breather. It has to be vented to the turbo inlet when doing this.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Pictures and awaiting to make an order .
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

So Dave your system would cap off the intake manifold port?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

subscribed, I've been thinking about getting a catch can recently. I'd like one that ya don't have to ever empty
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cannot vent our can to the intake with a one way valve, if this was done underboost the crank case would build pressure and smoke like a freight train, like it did on the dyno. In order to do that you need a breather on the catch can or an open hole or something.

In the case of our system it is completely closed, no open vent, no breather. It has to be vented to the turbo inlet when doing this.
Dave are you concerned at all about one of the posters in this thread saying oil vapor contributes to detonation? Is there anyway to draw a vacuum without sending this crankcase gasses in the inlet charge for combustion?

Also, do you think you will get around to doing some datalogging of crankcase pressure? This would be cool to see.

Have you ever thought the factory valve cover ports needed to be bigger to vent the crankcase better?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
How is this any different from the Saiko-Kun dual catch can, which has been around for a while?
There was a rather extended discussion about catch cans a while back:
PCV discussion: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=200793
Saiko-Kun catch can: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=209109

FWIW, I've been running the dual catch can for over 2 years now in between the intake manifold and PCV vent on the back of the head, and the intake pipe and PCV vent on the side of the head. Works great ... doesn't usually collect much on the intake manifold side, but does collect more gunk on the intake pipe side.

l8r)
Show pics

Quick Reply: BR's dyno testing and new parts development continues...