Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BR's dyno testing and new parts development continues...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The way I see it this is actually how the factory is doing it too, nothing different except the oil is not re-burnt and it doesn't end up coating your i/c pipes, intake and FMIC with oil inside.
I disagree with this. Your setup completely eliminates the vacuum source from the IM and uses only the small vacuum source for the turbo inlet pipe. So, now, rather than routing the gases and vapors directly to the IM to be burnt, you are now routing them to the turbo intake pipe. Even a properly configured catch can won't condense 100% of the oil vapor and water vapor, let alone the other blow-by gases and fuel vapor, so over time you will still possibly get some contamination in your IC and IC pipes, as well as introducing a larger quantity of other contaminants that normally exited right to the IM.

In stock form, under manifold vacuum, these gases are mixed with fresh air (from the breater vent) and into the IM. Your way completely reverses this, so it's taking a much longer path to be burnt and also using a very weak vacuum source, risking more contamination, such as the water vapor that you mentioned a couple posts up. It is this contamination that the PVC system is designed to remove, using the greatest vacuum source (IM) and the shortest path to the cylinders (IM).

If all you want to do is remove the oil coming out of the breater vent to turbo intake pipe under boost, then just put an inline filter, as someone mentioned on that hose. Some people use cheap fuel filters, some people use water/air separators from compressors, as well as a number of other options.

If you want to automatically drain the oil back to the pan/block or whatever from there, that would be OK, as long as you measure any potential vacuum in the breather hose first. But I think my point here is that removing the vacuum source from the IM isn't a good idea.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jun 25, 2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought vaccum was needed to pull the vapors out and if no vaccum is supplied, there will be excessive pressure in the crankcase. Reason number 1 I never VTA'd my lines, or else I would... the PCV especially.

I'm not worried about my intake pipe side, like I am the PCV side. My fuel filter does an awesome job between the valve cover and intake pipe. I need a new set-up on the PCV side, and I'm to cheap to buy a catch can. If it is, infact true you can safley VTA, I'll do JUST that. I'm used to oil drips. My Mirage leaks a quart of oil anytime you drive it
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

May be a noobie question but how does having this effect the shooting dip-stick syndrome we all loath?

-E
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Less crankcase pressure = less Daniel Day Lewis calibre dipstick oil well explosions.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by l2r99gst
This is one of the points that I was trying to make. The intake manifold vacuum is what is pulling the blow-by gases, water vapor, etc, into the IM. If you unhook the PCV hose coming from the backside of the valve cover and don't provide a large enough vacuum, then you risk leaving too many blow-by gases, especially water vapor, which can cause problems in the long run.

It's called positive crankcase ventilation, because it is venting postive pressure from the crankcase (blow-by gases) which work their way under the valve cover from the oiling passages. There is vacuum in the intake manifold, which is pulling the blow-by and vapors into the IM. The fresh air comes from the breather nipple that hooks into the intake pipe. The air is 'clean' air because it is being drawn through the air filter and counted by the MAF first.
Your right. What I meant was that that its not a "closed vacuum". Basically the vacuum being pulled by the intake manifold from the valve cover is fed with fresh air from the breather side like you explained. Basically creating a draft under the valve cover and not a vacuum with no moving air.

Hope that makes sense...
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
vacuum=good, pressure=bad
like you know what you are talking about.....

Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

BTW....this is starting to turn into another confusing "theory" thread.

I went through all this crap with the Subaru and ended up buying the Crawford catch can. It sounds like it is installed the same way David installed this catch can for the Evo.

On my STI, I will say at first I didn't have anything in the hose going back to the intake, but stuff eventually started building up and I got oil in my intake, turbo and intercooler.

I personally think the system works two ways.

1. under vacuum conditions, the PCV is open and air is getting sucked through the front valve cover port, around the engine and then out through the PCV into the IM.

2. under boost conditions, the PCV closes and we start creating crankcase pressure due to blow by. But we now have a larger vacuum draw on the front valve cover port because the turbo is sucking air in. So its enough to keep the crankcase from getting to pressurized.

My vote goes for leaving the PCV setup in place and putting just the front valve cover port on the catch can and running it back into the intake.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SloRice
like you know what you are talking about.....

He's on his way to a doctors appointment. When he gets back, boy are you in trouble.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

BTW....this is starting to turn into another confusing "theory" thread.

I went through all this crap with the Subaru and ended up buying the Crawford catch can. It sounds like it is installed the same way David installed this catch can for the Evo.

On my STI, I will say at first I didn't have anything in the hose going back to the intake, but stuff eventually started building up and I got oil in my intake, turbo and intercooler.

I personally think the system works two ways.

1. under vacuum conditions, the PCV is open and air is getting sucked through the front valve cover port, around the engine and then out through the PCV into the IM.

2. under boost conditions, the PCV closes and we start creating crankcase pressure due to blow by. But we now have a larger vacuum draw on the front valve cover port because the turbo is sucking air in. So its enough to keep the crankcase from getting to pressurized.

My vote goes for leaving the PCV setup in place and putting just the front valve cover port on the catch can and running it back into the intake.
Sometimes I get wordy in my posts. This is a great summary. I agree 100%.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Can excessive crankcase pressure push oil from the crankcase through the piston rings and cause excessive oil consuption?

Is the only reason crankcase pressure exists because of blow by?

Would a relatively loose piston to wall gap create more crankcase pressure?

Is it plausible that the factory ports for venting are not large enough in situations like this?

What effect would 0 psi, 7 psi, and 15 psi crankcase pressure have on engine power?

What is the likely crankcase pressures of a stock Evo engine?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain
Would a relatively loose piston to wall gap create more crankcase pressure?

Is it plausible that the factory ports for venting are not large enough in situations like this?
I don't know the exact answers to all of your questions, but any 'built' engine with looser than stock tolerances on piston to wall or ring gap or any engine that isn't peoperly broken in can have more blow-by and more crankcase pressure.

This is where you see people talking about their dipsticks blowing out. It's due to the amount of blow-by into the crankcase during boost situations and not large enough venting to relieve that pressure quick enough.

I think the best solution for a situation like this would be to keep the existing PCV system in place and add another vent to the VC with a one way check valve only allowing pressure out...a weak one way check valve. But, that is an entirely new thread and not really what this thread is about.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

This is exactly what I was thinking.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 01:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Short of running a pump, one can easily find "fast" people running bigger fittings/hoses, and even extra ports off of the valve covers of many different engines. I like David's idea, yet wonder if drilling and tapping the valve cover with larger pluming would not benefit you guys running the "big power" motors. Something David could offer as an option, if he so chose, for the people who were determined to actually need it.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Lots of large hoses and filters...

Old Jun 27, 2008, 02:05 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

That's and example... however, there still needs to be a vacuum in my opinion. Then again, maybe this one has one that is not visible.

Last edited by Zeus; Jun 27, 2008 at 02:07 AM.

Quick Reply: BR's dyno testing and new parts development continues...