Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New FP White turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I said **** it when I got a new turbo and just went for a evo 9 turbo for now on my 8 and with meth injection the spool was really fast and good power too

haha enough to blow my motor a lil over a month ago. I'd go with something based of the evo 9 turbo
Old Jul 8, 2008, 04:45 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I have a Evo 9 going on the dyno this thursday with a FPwhite on it. Before it had a stock 9 turbo. I will have before/after overlays for the curious.

91 octane, OEM Ecu, Ecu-boost, intake, cams, TBE no cat

Yay! This is what I've been waiting for! Razorlab does the best reviews, I can't wait!
Old Jul 8, 2008, 04:49 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a Evo 9 going on the dyno this thursday with a FPwhite on it. Before it had a stock 9 turbo. I will have before/after overlays for the curious.

Yay! Razorlab does the best reviews; I can't wait!
Old Jul 8, 2008, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for GST Motorsports!
Old Jul 8, 2008, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

yes we need to see this
Old Jul 8, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Absolutely, although most compressor flow maps give a decent indication of the max speed you will get out of them. The more vertical the top shaft speed line ends up being as the airflow rises, the closer you can get to a decent idea of how much is left in the wheel on the right of the map. I'll then start manipulating boost and VE based on data that I've collected on several different setups. Typically speaking, if the car seems to have more turbine then compressor, the boost pressure usually drops and VE stays up to a reasonable level. In comparison, I've tended to notice that undersized hotsides typically make a ton of boost, but VE takes a serious hit as exhaust backpressure rises.

I've deduced this by back calculating compressor flow from data logs and then plotting it on the maps. I don't have all the neat stuff you guys have to really put everything together though, so it's mostly just a causal rule of thumb that I've gone by. Maybe it's a bad rule of thumb that I'm going by, but it seems to hold reasonably true on different cars and different turbos.

Referring to the plot of the turbo while running ~166k RPM: The white makes for a very interesting system. Looks like a very good turbine to compressor match. I say this based on the data at the absolute limit. The back pressure is still reasonably well in check, the wastegate is open and controlling boost still, boost is holding (at least the average value), all while the compressor is showing it's limits through the choppy pressure reading. 23 psi and 7000 RPM and that thing is looking happy as can be where the IX turbo is getting a little over ran by 20 PSI at this RPM.

Originally Posted by GrocMax
Only problem is unless you use a stock factory car with a factory boost curve you're driving waaaay outside the meat of the comp map. Once everything is turned up a notch or 3 trying to plot is somewhat useless. Difference between a performance oriented unit and a factory unit is the performance unit will work better 'on the edge'. It won't make a damn bit of difference if the center island says 80% or 70% when you're never there. There's a copy of the TME 8 comp map on our website, it actually goes farther to the right than a 9 does, plot the data on that and see just how far off the map it is already at a 2.7 PR. The factories never show you the far right side where all the RPM lines are basically vertical and near the same flow rate, operating in this area they consider 'not normal' but we all do it. But if you look at the data on the 1580 I posted this 'wall' becomes very clear- it WON'T do any more. Its done. Every compressor/cover combo has this.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TKEVO
Well some don't know everything as much as some that's why we try to get as much information as I can before I purchase anything. If I have a question up here, dang on skippy I'm going to ask, no matter how stupid it may sound. I like to have things clarified and get opinions.
were you drunk when you posted this?

on topic: I'll have an FP turbo of some color someday...
Old Jul 8, 2008, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

I really want to see how the white performes compared to the 9 turbo. I am buying a 9 turbo for my VIII and if the results are as good as i think i will have it shiped to FP.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:24 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03v8slayer
I really want to see how the white performes compared to the 9 turbo. I am buying a 9 turbo for my VIII and if the results are as good as i think i will have it shiped to FP.
Exactly!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome!!!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I look forward to your comparison Bryan, this will be along the lines that most have or plan too. Can you list the intake & cams used after the tune please mate.

Cheers Steve
Old Jul 9, 2008, 02:54 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by theshadow; Jul 9, 2008 at 03:04 AM.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 03:04 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone think you'll need injectors to run the White, assuming you have a fuel pump, or would the stock injectors be able to keep up?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think it would be a bad idea but I don't think so. Why not tho?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Mmmm just wondering.

Adding some 680cc injectors and a fuel rail wouldn't be that difficult and I'd be retuning anyways so I suppose rescaling the injectors etc. wouldn't be an issue.

Just curious I guess

Quick Reply: New FP White turbo