Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New FP White turbo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiruu
I know the TME 6.5 has been around for a long time and has extremely fast spool, with more top end flow than a stock VIII turbo, but for similarly priced stock-frame turbos, how does the White compare the the TME 6.5 in terms of spool and flow?
There's a guy that posted on another FP White thread and he says he got a nice power increase over his 6.5 TME. You'll have to search, I'm at work and am a bit limited.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@FastFreddie: hey man how's it! Hope you guys'll be back soon. Need to give you guys a REAL test drive haha

@Aniel: great news, noted. FP site is frequently open in a Firefox tab

@hokiruu: good question. I haven't heard much about the TME turbo (and variations thereof) other than the reliability issues under high boost due to the mag wheels...not sure if that applies universally to TME variations though.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:59 PM

There getting bigger and bigger!
Old Sep 19, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Im glad someone has had the similar experience as me, with my old 18" wheels i was running 255/40/18 tires with the stock turbo i could break loose when hitting the throttle aound corners after i steped the tire size up to 275/35/18 9 1/2 wheel width and i could not even in the rain break these things loose but now with the FP White HTA im making enough power to break loose even these 275 size tires Im having fun again

Originally Posted by EvoTio
Well, I installed my FP White a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it so far. I still need to be retuned as my injector IDC's were at 96% with my old stock turbo, a 10.5 hotside, and HKS 264/272 cams. I did get a surprise when I first took it for a test drive. I usually have this turn I take near my house and when the boost hit at a 26 psi spike, the power hit so hard that I had a bit of trouble keeping the car in control. That never happened to me with the stock turbo. Overall I'm impressed. Can't wait for the new tune.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the FPWHITE after I blew my second 9GT turbo(71 series). Things I noticed:
1) The car keeps on pulling in the highs revs. Shifting at 7500+ rpm, I get a nice bang in the head as the rpm falls in the sweet spot of the turbo.
2) The midrange+toprange is definitely stronger. As can be seen in the graph (2-byte load shown)
3) Spools a bit slower than the GT turbo, but sure does make it up in the topend.

I have seen IDC increase with same AFR levels in the top end. One thing I am facing is, at low RPM in high gear (3-3.5K, 4th, or just below 3K in 3rd) going WOT, I get this tssst.....tsss....ttssst... noise which is a bit annoying.

As you can see in the comparison graph I have shown 2-byte load and boost comparison. All other mods remain same. The WHITE clearly shines in higher boost and higher revs. AND some how I am able to run more timing with higher boost. ALL these are in 91 octane.
Attached Thumbnails New FP White turbo-fpwhitevs9gt.gif   New FP White turbo-fpwhitevs9gt-boost.gif  

Last edited by Chamama; Sep 19, 2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

I definitely like the idea of it pulling better at the top without losing that midrange "giggle zone". For the guys running this turbo - are you able to do it on stock injectors or have you upgraded? What kind of IDCs does the white put on the stock fuel system when tuned?

May not be an easy answer but I'm just curious.

chamama - I find it very encouraging that it doesn't mess with your AFRs much - should maje it easier for my tuner to tune (I hope!).
Old Sep 20, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by theshadow
I definitely like the idea of it pulling better at the top without losing that midrange "giggle zone". For the guys running this turbo - are you able to do it on stock injectors or have you upgraded? What kind of IDCs does the white put on the stock fuel system when tuned?

May not be an easy answer but I'm just curious.

chamama - I find it very encouraging that it doesn't mess with your AFRs much - should maje it easier for my tuner to tune (I hope!).
I wouldn't say that the AFR did not change from swapping the turbo. With the same tune, my afr went 0.2 points leaner at same boost levels with the white. So I had to tune a bit to make it right.

And in my case, using stock injectors, I had to lean the AFR to 11.4-11.5 till redline(7.6K) to keep the IDC to about 98%. Any richer at the top end and the IDC would go above 100%+. Especially in higher gears.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

God info, thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2008, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 9sec9
When we tested the HTA-White back in early July, the initial observation from both vwjeff and I was holy crap. I've said it so many times, "The midrange is strong and it continues too pull up top." That was no bs, just factual observations from two people who know performance from bs. The HTA-White is an excellent option for a stock replacement turbo. If you're going to have to rebuild your turbo, you may as well upgrade to the White and gain a bunch of midrange and pretty darn good topend at the same time. Besides the performance, the efficiency is better too, allowing for .....MORE BOOST.
Speaking of which, lets get that turbo on the SE and see what is can do on a relatively stock car!

I will order the boost controller soon and with the white and o2 housing, it should be a fun combination.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 02:39 PM
Account Disabled

so is the white just a upgraded comp wheel? or turbine to?? sounds like a good turbo for autoX
Old Sep 20, 2008, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yea some people said it's good for auto x
Old Sep 20, 2008, 03:54 PM
EE
Evolving Member

just the comp wheel is upgraded. Stock exst wheel
Old Sep 21, 2008, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
this turbo or the red is what i'm trying to decide on. i have to find someone that has both and get a ride in them.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

If you are comparing white or red...RED all the way
Old Sep 21, 2008, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

+1 I was thinking about upgrading to a RED but had a change of heart since ive got a built bottom end. bought a WHITE before the built bottom end but never used it.

Quick Reply: New FP White turbo