Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Fuel pump or GSC 264 Cams?
GSC 264 Cams and fuel pump later on
10.00%
Fuel pump and more aggressive cams later on
26.67%
Wait and get both at the same time
63.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Cams or Fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008 | 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

I don't understand this thread at all... you know how much its gonna cost you to get those cams installed... $300 at most shops. Your gonna need a tune afterwards also, on top of that, you never want to do cams on a stock 8 fuel pump.

Just get the fuel pump for now. Do the cams later.
Old Jun 27, 2008 | 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
I don't understand this thread at all... you know how much its gonna cost you to get those cams installed... $300 at most shops. Your gonna need a tune afterwards also, on top of that, you never want to do cams on a stock 8 fuel pump.

Just get the fuel pump for now. Do the cams later.
Well I was gonna put the cams in myself (Well me and my buddy)

And thats another thing I didn't know how long i could run without having them tuned. I obviously would not want to run at all without the tune by Im in KS and BR is in Ohio lol.

Also if it was doable to do cams without changing out the fuel pump. Just under lying questions I was gonna read between the lines for.

Think I'm just gonna get the Pump and go with some 280's down the road when I get my re-enlistment bonus and do my stroker kit. Just wanted more power then stock to hold me over till then.
Old Jun 27, 2008 | 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Do both. Save yourself the cost of the second tune you will need if you do them at different times.
Old Jun 27, 2008 | 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Like others have said, even if it means waiting awhile, get them both at once, and get tuned for both at once.
Tell the wife about your plan and how it'll save you the money and hassle of getting tuned twice that you are willing to wait and save for it. She will probably appreciate your foresight and common sense.
There you go, all three issues addressed at once.
Besides, you will see gains from the GSC 264's, but personally I'd rather get S1s or the Forced Performance cams anyway. No sense in bending over backwards for a great deal: it's like the irony of when people just can't pass up that item that's on sale for the deal of a lifetime and use their high APR credit cars to pay for it, and it end up costing at least as much as if they had just saved up for it at MSRP.

Last edited by hokiruu; Jun 27, 2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2008 | 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Do them both at the same time as stated above to save money on the tuning. Although tuning isn't required for the fuel pump you will run a little rich w/o a tune.
Old Jun 27, 2008 | 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

I agree pump is a must! Personally I would wait and get both then a tune...as a matter of fact thats what Im doing in 2 weeks...GSC S1's walbro and a tune at AMS...im doing the cams and obviously the pump myself before I head to chicago from MN...Does anyone think I would have a horrible time driving it 5 hours or should I do what my common sence is telling me haha and trailor it...I guess i just dont know how it will react without the tune and all the bolt ons I have to drive that far...thanks
Old Jun 27, 2008 | 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
Like others have said, even if it means waiting awhile, get them both at once, and get tuned for both at once.
Tell the wife about your plan and how it'll save you the money and hassle of getting tuned twice that you are willing to wait and save for it. She will probably appreciate your foresight and common sense.
There you go, all three issues addressed at once.
Besides, you will see gains from the GSC 264's, but personally I'd rather get S1s or the Forced Performance cams anyway. No sense in bending over backwards for a great deal: it's like the irony of when people just can't pass up that item that's on sale for the deal of a lifetime and use their high APR credit cars to pay for it, and it end up costing at least as much as if they had just saved up for it at MSRP.
Good advice.

l8r)
Evolved Member

A smart guy would look into a used IX pump at 40.00 bucks..tell the wife your saving money and buy the cams..problem solved, money and life saved for the level of perf you are shooting for.

Get em together..you'll need a tune with either upgrade..so it's pointless to do it twice. Plus doing multiple upgrades at the same time is nice cuz you will feel a bigger difference in performance....instead adding one thing at a time, and retuning a bagillion times.
Old Jun 27, 2008 | 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wreckless969
Shes cool with the $85 since i don't even have the car yet and have spent almost $1500 already on it...the cams she will have a problem with but damage control is a lot easier if I didn't get the fuel pump instead you know what I mean?

Get them both and whats this about not actually having the car yet...?
Old Jun 27, 2008 | 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wshihdnevo
Get them both and whats this about not actually having the car yet...?
I bought the car from Carmax and they are taking 3 life times to have it trasfered to the store by me so I can go get it.
Old Jun 27, 2008 | 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

You need a walboro if you plan on making any kind of power with an viii period.
Old Jun 27, 2008 | 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

get both at the same time.
Old Jun 27, 2008 | 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mplspilot
80 bucks dude, seriously. That's like 2 gas fillups. Get em both.
Word. get the pump man jeez. with the power coming from the parts and tune you [U]will[U] be happy without the cams for now...
Old Jun 27, 2008 | 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

what kind of question is that?
you might be better off asking french fries without frying.
like stated above, fuel pump is cheap insurance and its only 100 bucks, get both and get tuned right