Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just how bad are the MR 6-Speed Transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Probably not a good idea, but then again you're on the island and have no drag strip nor any room to go fast ,so you may be ok.

Your power level will likely overwhelm 4th gear, and your gearing will be a major restriction, since 4th is so short. You'd be at the top of 5th with 600whp in a 6spd if you dragged it.
One thing to consider though it would still be quicker than a IX 5sp. Since the 4th gear in the 5sp is almost identical to the MR it would be more beneficial to atleast have another acceleration gear instead of chugging into 5th on the 5sp. 5th in an MR is actually useful for accelaration. Either way at that power level he will need an VIII 4th gear or be able to rev past 9k.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran my 6 speed until it finally gave at 593whp. But i was pounding the **** flaps out of 4-6. Cant complain since I was running 10 second traps with my 6 at 475whp. If it does go then I would suggest converting to a 5 speed as the 6 will break again if it did once already.
Dont fix it unless its broken.

Im waiting for my new 5 speed from shep at the moment.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nez136
I ran my 6 speed until it finally gave at 593whp. But i was pounding the **** flaps out of 4-6. Cant complain since I was running 10 second traps with my 6 at 475whp. If it does go then I would suggest converting to a 5 speed as the 6 will break again if it did once already.
Dont fix it unless its broken.

Im waiting for my new 5 speed from shep at the moment.
how long do you think that trans lasted at that much of a power level, i think you just answered a lot of poeples ? on evom since we never see any 6 speed evos putting down big hp numbers.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

Cool Nothing Wrong with the MR.

There is no major problem with the MR transmission. The 5 speed may be slightly stronger, but the MR's 6 speed is pretty strong also...Just maybe bit less strong than the 5 speed...That's all. No need for anyone to regret getting an MR. It was an excellent choice for me, it still is, and it always will be. The end.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 03:03 AM
Account Disabled

Total Garbage I blew mine up with 350hp... with an Exedy Stage 2 Clutch after maybe 50 hard launches
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Learn how to drive. Not the cars fault if the person driving can't launch correctly.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
If you want, you can try changing to the Castrol SynTorq LT fluid I sell. I can't guarantee it will help/fix the probelm, but it got rid of my notchiness/grinding in the morning.

Click on the link in my sig for more info.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Aug 12, 2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

To the OP...the best people to ask would be the ones that were making close to your goal or a bit more with a 6 speed...ask the big builders and tuners also...they have more experience also.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

What exactly is the definition of banging gears? And are highway pulls in 4th, 5th or 6th going to do damage to the tranny? I'm basically stock, with just a base flash and an Agency Power exhaust.

Last edited by MaxKanisha; Aug 13, 2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
There are some people on here who are still running their 6 speed's after multiple track events. Warm Pepsi is one IIRC.

Some have had their 4th gear go kablooie! Warr and Razorlab are examples of those.
After 3 years of at least a dozen track days/weekends, mine is still alive. There is definitely some grinding in a couple gears now, and 6th is very difficult to get into (not syncro, but more a fork problem), so I will be needing a rebuild soon.

I've been using the Mitsu Diaqueen fluid in mine, changing it out regularly.

I have added a trans temp gauge and I definitely see my temps spike up WAY too high for my comfort. Before the rebuilt tranny goes in, I will be installing an oil cooler.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by MaxKanisha
What exactly is the definition of banging gears? And are highway pulls in 4th, 5th or 6th going to do damage to the tranny? I'm basically stock, with just a base flash and an Agency Power.
You won't have a problem.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fireball
You won't have a problem.
Thanks man, but can someone clarify banging gears for me? I get confused when people talk about banging gears.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by selp
I have an 06 MR with 30k and i have no problems shifts like butter.
I couldn't have made a better decision.
completely agree. I have 34K on my beast, and not a sinlge hiccup from the tranny.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fireball
After 3 years of at least a dozen track days/weekends, mine is still alive. There is definitely some grinding in a couple gears now, and 6th is very difficult to get into (not syncro, but more a fork problem), so I will be needing a rebuild soon.

I've been using the Mitsu Diaqueen fluid in mine, changing it out regularly.

I have added a trans temp gauge and I definitely see my temps spike up WAY too high for my comfort. Before the rebuilt tranny goes in, I will be installing an oil cooler.
What are your temps? Daily driving temps and ambient vs track and ambient. Any info you have would be great.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MaxKanisha
Thanks man, but can someone clarify banging gears for me? I get confused when people talk about banging gears.
Bump for an answer.

Quick Reply: Just how bad are the MR 6-Speed Transmissions?