Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Got dynoed today, not sure what to think

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
VIII's and IX's both came factory with Irridium plugs. Coppers replacements can be had for both. Not sure on the NGK Copper part #'s for the IX plugs
Old Jul 1, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Are those corrected numbers? Humidity was at 100% at one time today. Throw some C16 in it, "drop the dress and turn up the boost" see what it will really do.
I dont think he is "wearing a dress" because he isnt running C16... thats a bit ridiculous. 99% of people on this board dont and wont run race gas.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think it would be crazy to rule out the possibility that maybe AMS didn't tune it as well as they could've. I mean take a look at my sig. That's where you should be at with your mods.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nuked
Those numbers are almost identical to what my IX did on Buschurs dyno with a TBE, filter, mbc and flash. Ironically, with the parts on, stock tune it did what yours baselined at, and after the tune the final numbers where almost identical to yours.

SQ
thats because Buschur has a Mustang dyno.

Regardless with 93 octane you should have been in the 320 range. With my similar mods I put down 315 on 91 octane at 21psi...

so go figure

Old Jul 1, 2008, 07:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SAE will compensate for Temperature correction but its not perfect. If it was dramatically different weather wise when your baseline was pulled that will make a difference on the numbers.

Dyno's are a really sensitive subject. Some say our dyno reads low and Mustangs read even lower. Truth is our dyno reads really spot on and that mustangs can read low, high or dead on depending on how they are set up.

The most important thing is that you are happy with the car. I would not be concentrated on your peak numbers but rather what you picked up, that is what a dyno is meant to measure....gains...not just peak numbers.

Eric
Old Jul 1, 2008, 07:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Here is the stock chart vs the modded chart with a tune.

These results are typcial for our dyno, period. Highly modified EVO9's with cams and the rest of the bolt ons usually put down 325-345. Every car is tuned to it fullest capability while keeping safety and longevity in mind. If you have any questions please ask them or PM them to me and I will be happy to answer them.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

dynos are to be used a tuning tool. I mean you get a number but the number is just a number. You had a baseline and gained nice numbers from before, and from the graph the curve looks excellant and thats where its at...
Old Jul 1, 2008, 07:40 AM

everyone should know ams dyno always read a little lower if you go to other awd dyno you might get a higher number but as u should know ams they are really professional. shouldn't worry about that at all.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Your numbers look perfect to me. Max hp #'s are not what you should be focused on, your gains look great on the graph. I'm making 310whp/325ft-lbs with my mod list. All dyno's read different, you really can't compare. You have nothing to worry about my friend.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Something seems off to me because the car baselined what a stock 9 would, but the tune and mods don't add to be the expected whp since most will fall between 330-350 I'll say. So, the weather may have affected it, the gas, or maybe the exhaust that you are running isn't 3in all the way back? Either way, the graph looks good, its just the numbers were lower than expected when compared to most other setups.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, the low-reading dyno stuff gets thrown out the window when the stock baseline is nearly 260whp. That makes the meager gains hard to swallow. I know it has nothing to do with the AMS tune - they know what they are doing, but the car does seem weak. IXs usually pick up 70whp with those mods and even more if you run 24-25psi. Hell, VIIIs pick up more power than that with those mods, so I would think there is some other factor causing problems.

As a reference, my VIII put down 248whp when stock on the Extreme Motorsports dynojet. I ran 13.17 @ 103.89. I added an SAFC and put down 272whp, then ran 12.80 @ 106.30. By the time I had these stg1 mods like the OP, I put down 305whp and ran 12.26 @ 110.0. IXs typically blow those numbers away with these mods, so it does seem a little strange.

As another reference, during the last dyno day I held at Extreme Motorsports, none of the 3 stock IXs that day put down as much as the one in this thread.

Come to think of it, this does not look anything like 23psi. 23psi would typically give a torque spike that is about 10-20 higher peak than the peak whp. I wonder if the AEM is reading higher than actual and that this is just 20-21psi peak.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that can't be the stock baseline... thats gotta be an untuned baseline. as in - what it looked like with the parts on, untuned?

260whp unmodded - thats crazy!

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yeah, the low-reading dyno stuff gets thrown out the window when the stock baseline is nearly 260whp. That makes the meager gains hard to swallow. I know it has nothing to do with the AMS tune - they know what they are doing, but the car does seem weak. IXs usually pick up 70whp with those mods and even more if you run 24-25psi. Hell, VIIIs pick up more power than that with those mods, so I would think there is some other factor causing problems.

As a reference, my VIII put down 248whp when stock on the Extreme Motorsports dynojet. I ran 13.17 @ 103.89. I added an SAFC and put down 272whp, then ran 12.80 @ 106.30. By the time I had these stg1 mods like the OP, I put down 305whp and ran 12.26 @ 110.0. IXs typically blow those numbers away with these mods, so it does seem a little strange.

As another reference, during the last dyno day I held at Extreme Motorsports, none of the 3 stock IXs that day put down as much as the one in this thread.

Come to think of it, this does not look anything like 23psi. 23psi would typically give a torque spike that is about 10-20 higher peak than the peak whp. I wonder if the AEM is reading higher than actual and that this is just 20-21psi peak.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dexmix
that can't be the stock baseline... thats gotta be an untuned baseline. as in - what it looked like with the parts on, untuned?

260whp unmodded - thats crazy!
Eh? Nah, that's pretty normal for a IX on a Dynojet. Some have been in the 270s and close to 280. How else would they be running 12s and trapping 105-107 in the 1/4? That's how. I mentioned how my 05 VIII made 248 on a Dynojet uncorrected with no mods. IXs blow VIIIs away.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Ye the torque seems awfully low if its running over 21psi. Its down probably 30lb ft at least when you look at other setups and their dynos. I agree with Warr, the boost might be lower than we all think..
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Good info...I'm in need of a tune!

Quick Reply: Got dynoed today, not sure what to think