Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mistake not doing O2 housing with fp green

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mistake not doing O2 housing with fp green

I'll be installing a FP Green soon and was planing on doing a megan O2 housing along with it. But it looks like the O2 housing involves a lot more work. Is it a mistake not doing the 02 housing also? I see a lot of people have had problems with stuck and broken bolts/studs, removing 02 sensor...... Is it worth the possible headache?
thanks
Old Jul 2, 2008, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

If you are doing the turbo then do it. It is not "a lot more work". You just bolt it to the turbine housing, then it bolts to the dp with 2 of those spring bolts. Easy, especially if you are swapping turbos anyway.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
It is definitely not alot more work since you are installing a new turbo. Bolt up the O2 housing to the FP Green and then install it as one unit.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 04:30 AM
Evolving Member

So I won't have to remove the manifold?

Last edited by bank277; Jul 2, 2008 at 04:37 AM. Reason: clarify
Old Jul 2, 2008, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bank277
So I won't have to remove the manifold?
It's not needed, but you can do it.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not removing the manifold might be a little tough. Do the o2 housing, its coming off anyway. spray all your bolts/nuts with liquid wrench several times and several hours before you start wrenching--this will spare you headaches later..There is a nice how to with pics for the housing on this forum with great pics and steps.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
Not removing the manifold might be a little tough. Do the o2 housing, its coming off anyway. spray all your bolts/nuts with liquid wrench several times and several hours before you start wrenching--this will spare you headaches later..There is a nice how to with pics for the housing on this forum with great pics and steps.
^If you are taking off the stock turbo and putting a new FP Green, why bother dealing with the stock O2 housing? Just throw the tubular one on the new turbo and remove the stock manifold, turbo assembly and lines at once.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
^If you are taking off the stock turbo and putting a new FP Green, why bother dealing with the stock O2 housing? Just throw the tubular one on the new turbo and remove the stock manifold, turbo assembly and lines at once.
I agree, you have to install a 02 housing on the green anway...
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
If I do it this way will I have to remove the under tray or can I get to everything from above?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bank277
If I do it this way will I have to remove the under tray or can I get to everything from above?

You'll be able to get the DP bolts off with the tray in place but may not be able to access the stock O2's bottom mounting bolt. It's been a long time so I don't remember for certain.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Exciting News
You'll be able to get the DP bolts off with the tray in place but may not be able to access the stock O2's bottom mounting bolt. It's been a long time so I don't remember for certain.
Remover the undertray, and your radiator before you do the turbo swap. It gives you alot more room to work.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Looks like I'm looking at more work then I really want to get into. What's the price range for this to be done at a shop?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Depends on the shop.........probably around 500.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 08:01 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Just do it, its not that hard. The turbo's right there at the front of the car, not much can go wrong. Remove undertray, drain coolant, unbolt drain tube from oil pan, unbolt downpipe, Loosen LICP, unhook coolant and oil lines, remove intake, unbolt manifold, unhook o2 sensor plug, out comes the turbo.

Unbolt manifold, send to buschur racing for porting, then install on evo green. Install o2 housing on evo green, install o2 sensor in o2 housing. Put it all back together in reverse order, then go have fun. Triple check for leaks.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its really not that difficult to do. I'd bet removing the undertray is a bigger pita than anything else. I have a coated o2 that I could ship you today if you are interested. It was removed from my green.

Quick Reply: Mistake not doing O2 housing with fp green