Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

DTM's RB 2.3 and HeadGames Make a Perfect match!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:30 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DTM
9.4:1 Compression and our custom piston & rod sizing.
We chose lower boost for a TA car. It has much smoother response and allows us to come out of the corner like a bullet. We ran the same setup last year on 18 psi. Won the Nationals at MidOhio the same way. Its not about boost, but about efficiency and EGT in check. We have learned quite a bit these past few years. Unfortunately I do not have a plot from the dyno. BUT since I have to re-dyno next week for an event I will capture and plot and update this thread for you.
CR, I understand what you are asking and have answered you several times. Maybe I am not being clear. Please read below.

Originally Posted by DTM
9.4:1 Compression and our custom piston & rod sizing.
We chose lower boost for a TA car. It has much smoother response and allows us to come out of the corner like a bullet. We ran the same setup last year on 18 psi. Won the Nationals at MidOhio the same way. Its not about boost, but about efficiency and EGT in check. We have learned quite a bit these past few years. Unfortunately I do not have a plot from the dyno. BUT since I have to re-dyno next week for an event I will capture and plot and update this thread for you.
The engine is in our TA car running straight Pump Gas and a single Walbro Fuel pump
Originally Posted by DTM
yeah were running pump fuel with a bit more static compression. Its just riggghhhht

Cheers, lol
Originally Posted by DTM
Previously the car ran almost 20 psi in the higher gears. Statically in third it was around 18 psi.
With the higher compression and lower boost we ran very conservative timing down low, so that we could run a bit more aggressive up top. We are ecstatic over the results. It has performed flawlessly in the past two events.
Originally Posted by crcain
Ok I'm not sure I'm being clear in my questions. I've seen threads from 10:1 Evo motors and they still run upwards of 2 bar of boost.

So as an enthusiast I'm just kind of curious how this works and the effects of different compression ratios. So let me ask again... did you map the car for more boost? If so what happened? Did you find it made less power with more boost and less advance?

Also you mentioned EGT's... what is your concern with EGT and what temps concern you and where are you measuring EGT?
This car runs ONLY on 93 octane pump fuel. Rarely will you find another one like this running 2 bar and pump gas. The static compression alone of 10:1 and forced induction will grenade the engine in very little time, with 93 octane fuel.
We wanted a good combination of combustion efficiency vs. fuel volatility.
The car is mapped to run no more than 23 psi. If it goes above it then ignition cut will take effect. There is no need for anymore power than this on the tracks we run.
Because of the more free flowing head, we were able to INCREASE power while maintaining a lower peak boost level. Even in the higher gears she doesn't go above 18 psi with the addition of the new cylinder head. With the old head there was pressure behind the valve mounting up but not being processed by the engine.
Now, if you look at the graph it made a TON more power with .5 less boost and the new head. That is the point of this thread.
EGT's are a great concern when you are running 25-40 minutes sessions in 3 gear and above. EGT is datalogged from the collector. I will not go into the tuning practice nor the values we run on an open forum. I will just say that we are now able to stabilize our EGTs with what WE want them to be on the tracks we are running.
Hopefully that helps clarify and answer your questions.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Ok I'm not sure I'm being clear in my questions. I've seen threads from 10:1 Evo motors and they still run upwards of 2 bar of boost.

So as an enthusiast I'm just kind of curious how this works and the effects of different compression ratios. So let me ask again... did you map the car for more boost? If so what happened? Did you find it made less power with more boost and less advance?

Also you mentioned EGT's... what is your concern with EGT and what temps concern you and where are you measuring EGT?
This head and motor combo probably flow the right CFM to hit in the center of the map of that turbo. I'm sure that 17.5 psi was just where they want to be in terms of efficiency of the turbo throughout the rev range.

Optimizing Flow rate of the engine with the efficiency range of the turbo obviously is having great results for them, not to mention lower temps and stress on the turbo
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeez I am simply asking IF the car was mapped for a higher boost level. It is a VERY simple question.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I checked and the 10:1 motor in the UK ran 1.8 bar on pump so I was wrong of the upwards of 2 bar statement.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice power congrats!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Drifto
You guys realize that this is not an Evo motor. RB is a Nissan 6cyl.
<spits out coffee on computer keyboard>
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

very impressive.....
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:25 PM
DTM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
<spits out coffee on computer keyboard>
LOL This one is still an evo motor....
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:26 PM
DTM
Account Disabled

Jeez I am simply asking IF the car was mapped for a higher boost level. It is a VERY simple question.
I tried to answer it as simply as possible.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:27 PM
DTM
Account Disabled

I checked and the 10:1 motor in the UK ran 1.8 bar on pump so I was wrong of the upwards of 2 bar statement.
Im not sure if I want to try that on 93 octane fuel.
But congrats to them
Old Jul 2, 2008, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor

I love it when a plan comes together!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 06:44 PM
DTM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by HeadGames
I love it when a plan comes together!
You are the Man. Once again great job.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I've seen threads from 10:1 Evo motors and they still run upwards of 2 bar of boost. ... Also you mentioned EGT's... what is your concern with EGT and what temps concern you and where are you measuring EGT?
This situation is one that deals with multiple variables. In Nick's case, he's looking at extended WOT time, and he doesn't want to subject the engine components to high EGT. To increase efficiency and reduce EGT, one needs to be able to get ignition timing close to MBT (Mean Best Torque), which means that given a fixed fuel octane, one has to balance SCR and boost pressure to get to the point that represents the least amount of compromise.

If one were to do anything that necessitates retarding the ignition timing an appreciable degree, EGT goes UP. These motors running high boost with low octane will have elevated EGT.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:19 PM

so,how many of you guy are running 10:1 cr with pump 93??
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DTM
As stated earlier in another thread, We have been very busy this month and haven't had much time to post about some of our projects. Well here is one that really shines in our eyes and hopefully shed some light on the dark world of efficiency in the internal combustion engine.
Our Newly designed RB 2.3 Engine for the EVO8 and 9, along with our 35r hybrid turbo kit, mated to a HeadGames/DTM Spec Cylinder Head. the result were amazing to say the least.
Below the graph outlines the previous setup with the addition of the Cylinder Head in the latter graph. The engine is in our TA car running straight Pump Gas and a single Walbro Fuel pump. Stock Manifold, Throttle Body and fuel lines. AEM, 880cc injectors and our Stage II FMIC. The cars runs a whopping 17.5 Psi of Boost pressure!!!
Special thanks to the King of Cylinder Heads ... Master Dave at HeadGames Motorworks

Enjoy.

Awesome #s keep it up

Quick Reply: DTM's RB 2.3 and HeadGames Make a Perfect match!!