Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

DTM's RB 2.3 and HeadGames Make a Perfect match!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great numbers.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 04:37 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Thanks guys.
Ted B always right on point.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

She got headgame man...LOL
Old Jul 3, 2008, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What would be the effects of sustained high EGT's?

If you are det free, I can only see a problem with turbo. And if you look at the reliability of turbos in comparison to engines, I don't think I would have much concern of the turbo.

Again I am just total amatuer but just curious.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
High EGT's=Blown turbos and melted valves.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 05:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
If you are det free, I can only see a problem with turbo.
So where do you think all that heat goes? Does it all go out the exhaust, or does some of it get transferred to pistons and valves and such?
Old Jul 3, 2008, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
So where do you think all that heat goes? Does it all go out the exhaust, or does some of it get transferred to pistons and valves and such?
Yes but if your det free presumably the exhaust valve temps are in check? I dunno.

I hate to have cluttered up DTM's thread. I was just curious as to how he went about choosing the boost level. And if actually he simply did not make anymore power with more boost. Seems hard to imagine because Buschur motors are 9:1 I think and run 30 psi on 93. While 9.6:1 is not a big jump from there.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain
Yes but if your det free presumably the exhaust valve temps are in check? I dunno.

I hate to have cluttered up DTM's thread. I was just curious as to how he went about choosing the boost level. And if actually he simply did not make anymore power with more boost. Seems hard to imagine because Buschur motors are 9:1 I think and run 30 psi on 93. While 9.6:1 is not a big jump from there.
Actually 9.6:1 and 9:1 is a pretty big difference in static compression, even bigger when you are force feeding it with a huge turbo. I'm sure Nick could have made an extreme amount of power by turning up the boost, but it a TA car. It's meant to run at WOT alot of the time. Its called risk vs. reward.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:09 AM
EvoM Guru

When pistons and valves and such are exposed to excessive heat, they begin to absorb that heat, and will do so until the metal surfaces reach the same temp. When this happens, the resulting hotspots will increase preignition potential. When the fuel mixture begins autoigniting, you're done.

There are differences of engineering strategies between endurance racing and drag racing. The motors running 30 psi on 93 octane aren't being subjected to 30 min of WOT events.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
When pistons and valves and such are exposed to excessive heat, they begin to absorb that heat, and will do so until the metal surfaces reach the same temp. When this happens, the resulting hotspots will increase preignition potential. When the fuel mixture begins autoigniting, you're done.

There are differences of engineering strategies between endurance racing and drag racing. The motors running 30 psi on 93 octane aren't being subjected to 30 min of WOT events.
Once again, Ted B puts what I am trying to say in a post alot better than me. Thanks
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
Once again, Ted B puts what I am trying to say in a post alot better than me. Thanks
I can safely say that he puts things into words alot better than the majority of us.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

I hear ya guys and thanks I understand what your saying.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor

we could spice this conversation up with some valve seat, valve guide and valve material conversation now that we are talking about heat if everyone is down with it.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HeadGames
we could spice this conversation up with some valve seat, valve guide and valve material conversation now that we are talking about heat if everyone is down with it.
YEs please!!! Inconel? Do tell, whatever your willing to disclose, I am sure porting an OEM head is a good bit science and a little bit art but I would love to learn more!

HeadGames, lots of people and or vendors on here have been selling your machined heads as there own, do you yourself offer the services or just through vendors?

Scorke
Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by HeadGames
Given that the originator of the discussion mentioned the use of your head specifically, and being that this is relevant to the discussion, I feel it's totally appropriate.

Quick Reply: DTM's RB 2.3 and HeadGames Make a Perfect match!!