Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

DTM's RB 2.3 and HeadGames Make a Perfect match!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 09:13 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTM's RB 2.3 and HeadGames Make a Perfect match!!

As stated earlier in another thread, We have been very busy this month and haven't had much time to post about some of our projects. Well here is one that really shines in our eyes and hopefully shed some light on the dark world of efficiency in the internal combustion engine.
Our Newly designed RB 2.3 Engine for the EVO8 and 9, along with our 35r hybrid turbo kit, mated to a HeadGames/DTM Spec Cylinder Head. the result were amazing to say the least.
Below the graph outlines the previous setup with the addition of the Cylinder Head in the latter graph. The engine is in our TA car running straight Pump Gas and a single Walbro Fuel pump. Stock Manifold, Throttle Body and fuel lines. AEM, 880cc injectors and our Stage II FMIC. The cars runs a whopping 17.5 Psi of Boost pressure!!!
Special thanks to the King of Cylinder Heads ... Master Dave at HeadGames Motorworks

Enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails DTM's RB 2.3 and HeadGames Make a Perfect match!!-rb23-headgames.jpg  
Old Jul 2, 2008, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

WTF, 17.5lbs of boost?!?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
490 atw at 17 psi.

Is this a high compression motor?

Do you have a sheet that shows boost pressure on the page?

Why exactly did you choose that boost level?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 09:28 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by crcain
490 atw at 17 psi.

Is this a high compression motor?

Do you have a sheet that shows boost pressure on the page?

Why exactly did you choose that boost level?
9.4:1 Compression and our custom piston & rod sizing.
We chose lower boost for a TA car. It has much smoother response and allows us to come out of the corner like a bullet. We ran the same setup last year on 18 psi. Won the Nationals at MidOhio the same way. Its not about boost, but about efficiency and EGT in check. We have learned quite a bit these past few years. Unfortunately I do not have a plot from the dyno. BUT since I have to re-dyno next week for an event I will capture and plot and update this thread for you.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 09:29 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by xiaoni420
WTF, 17.5lbs of boost?!?

yeah were running pump fuel with a bit more static compression. Its just riggghhhht

Cheers, lol
Old Jul 2, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Headwork is so critical to making big numbers on low boost that people don't realize.

I made 600whp on 94 octane Sunoco at 24psi with 9:1 slugs. It was an old school 5 year old 4g63 (DSM), HKS 272's, stock 60mm TB, Forrester Race Head and Forrester Intake Manifold. Obviously something flowed well and it pretty much has to be the head.

Nice numbers.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 09:42 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DTM
The cars runs a whopping 17.5 Psi of Boost pressure!!!

Old Jul 2, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

484whp at 17psi??? That's it???....Shizzzzz
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And this is why i want 9.5:1 pistons.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

So the car made less power with more boost?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good job guys!

-Em
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:36 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

So the car made less power with more boost?
Previously the car ran almost 20 psi in the higher gears. Statically in third it was around 18 psi.
With the higher compression and lower boost we ran very conservative timing down low, so that we could run a bit more aggressive up top. We are ecstatic over the results. It has performed flawlessly in the past two events.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

impressive power for such low boost. Its really amazing to see that kind of efficiency
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DTM
Previously the car ran almost 20 psi in the higher gears. Statically in third it was around 18 psi.
With the higher compression and lower boost we ran very conservative timing down low, so that we could run a bit more aggressive up top. We are ecstatic over the results. It has performed flawlessly in the past two events.
Ok I'm not sure I'm being clear in my questions. I've seen threads from 10:1 Evo motors and they still run upwards of 2 bar of boost.

So as an enthusiast I'm just kind of curious how this works and the effects of different compression ratios. So let me ask again... did you map the car for more boost? If so what happened? Did you find it made less power with more boost and less advance?

Also you mentioned EGT's... what is your concern with EGT and what temps concern you and where are you measuring EGT?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:24 AM
Account Disabled

Ok I'm not sure I'm being clear in my questions. I've seen threads from 10:1 Evo motors and they still run upwards of 2 bar of boost.

So as an enthusiast I'm just kind of curious how this works and the effects of different compression ratios. So let me ask again... did you map the car for more boost? If so what happened? Did you find it made less power with more boost and less advance?

Also you mentioned EGT's... what is your concern with EGT and what temps concern you and where are you measuring EGT?
i think he is trying to show what a good high comp motor with a very good flowing head will do.this has been done in the honda world for years.honda has a better flowing head and usually run higher comp than evos/mitsubishi do,they make high hp pump gas #s all day.2.4 k series will make over 500hp on pump at about a bar with a gt40 turbo and have a very usable power band.these are on stock ported heads.good job on the setup dtm!!!any pricing on these heads?

Quick Reply: DTM's RB 2.3 and HeadGames Make a Perfect match!!