Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cam gears now or later?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2008 | 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Cam gears now or later?

I have to put a new timing belt on my car. Right now i have HKS 264's, im going to upgrade to S2's eventually.

But im undecided if i should get cam gears now and try to squeak out more power out of the 264's or should i wait and get them on the s2s.

Has anyone got any power gains out of adjusting the 264's on a big turbo?
Old Jul 5, 2008 | 12:19 PM

Cam gears are always a good option. Even if you decide to upgrade to S2's, cam gears allow to dial in your powerband, and in most cases squeeze out additional HP. I got some cam gears for my Comp 280 setup and by adjusting it, i was able to make some additional power as well as get better spool up.
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 09:32 AM

i will say so it now.
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 09:49 AM
Former Sponsor

if you can find a smoking deal on gears, get them. otherwise wait.

will you be doing the install yourself? idid all the work / tuning myself, it only cost me time.

i had adj. on 264's w/tme turbo....it just moved the power band around a bit. i got more power @ 7k than i lost @3k, if that means anything to you. So running -2/-2 was ok for me.....on 0/0 my car rolled over @ ~6,500....this was more than a few drinks & a few years ago But they helped me.

maybe it will help more with your big turbo, but dont expect huge power gains, but you wont know if you dont try. you'll just be able to push the power out to the right where the big turbo works better & is able to maintain your desired boost level.

your going to hear people say that cam gears are a waste of money from other people......i believe they are worth some money.

if your doing the install & tuning yourself + you find a great deal on gears, go for it, but dont expect big gains.......if your paying for all work listed above = WAIT for the S2's

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Jul 6, 2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 09:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Cam gears are more advantageous with larger cam profiles. I doubt I'd waste my time with cam gears if dealing with a set of HKS 264s.
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the help, going to wait until i put in s2
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

i might be selling my fidanza set if you are interested