Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Subframe Bolt Stripped - Any Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2009, 05:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so both studs had a lot of play, they could turn about 1/8" in either direction. It felt as though there was a head of a bolt boxed in but not tightly if that makes any sense. Anyway i tighten down the nuts to the 120lbs torque spec without issue or any modification. Maybe they are supposed to do this.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I currently have the same issue... I can see the collar (washer) on the nut spinning when I loosen the nut but it never feels any easier and there's always the same amount of threads left on the nut.

Where do I have to drill/cut to access this bolt and throw a couple tacks on it?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My bad for bumping a dated thread but wow, I just ran into this issue too and I'm not feeling too good... The bolt head is definitely boxed in but i guess when someone uses a 500+ft-lbs impact and just drives the **** out the nut; this will happen... What kind of welding wire did you guys use to make the tacks? I'm planning on going to HomeDepot to pick up a mig welder and was wondering if i had to buy any other welding wire to complete this task.

Thanks
Tim
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:38 PM

dam sucks bros
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

this just happen to me also . Is there anyway i could just use JB weld as i dont have a welder or the money to pay a shop to do this work
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gone2pimp
this just happen to me also . Is there anyway i could just use JB weld as i dont have a welder or the money to pay a shop to do this work
Probably not. The correct way is to have a shop tack it in place OR sandwich the bolt head in plate with additional pieces of metal but it might not work. Other than splitting the nut and tacking it there's no other way.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by timmiii
Probably not. The correct way is to have a shop tack it in place OR sandwich the bolt head in plate with additional pieces of metal but it might not work. Other than splitting the nut and tacking it there's no other way.

yea i just tried it the jb weld won't hold. Now i gotta find a shop .. fml
Old Oct 5, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

yea i just tried it the jb weld won't hold. Now i gotta find a shop .. fml
Damn... If you were close I wouldn't mind tacking it for you. You can always come over to NJ/NYC area and I'll help you out.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The bolts are supposed to have some play when loose. When you tighten them down they go furthur into the hole they are in and get tighter. If it spins pry down on the sub frame as hard as possible that will help hold the bolt still. Also make sure to lube the nut when reinstalling and spin it on as far as possible by hand before applying any tq to it so it is seated into the subframe properly.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
The bolts are supposed to have some play when loose. When you tighten them down they go furthur into the hole they are in and get tighter. If it spins pry down on the sub frame as hard as possible that will help hold the bolt still. Also make sure to lube the nut when reinstalling and spin it on as far as possible by hand before applying any tq to it so it is seated into the subframe properly.
How far does it go down and what are you supposed to use to pry the bolts down?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Damn... If you were close I wouldn't mind tacking it for you. You can always come over to NJ/NYC area and I'll help you out.
thanks for the offer. this thing is a pain in the ***. i cut a hole in the side and can clearly see that the bolt head spinning when we apply torque to it.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the offer. this thing is a pain in the ***. i cut a hole in the side and can clearly see that the bolt head spinning when we apply torque to it.
Lol, yeah I remembered that feeling. Wasn't too happy.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

My bad for bumping a dated thread but wow, I just ran into this issue too and I'm not feeling too good... The bolt head is definitely boxed in but i guess when someone uses a 500+ft-lbs impact and just drives the **** out the nut; this will happen... What kind of welding wire did you guys use to make the tacks? I'm planning on going to HomeDepot to pick up a mig welder and was wondering if i had to buy any other welding wire to complete this task.

Thanks
Tim
If i get a MIG welder will i need to rewire my garage or will it work on a normal circuitry?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

If i get a MIG welder will i need to rewire my garage or will it work on a normal circuitry?
Nah, I just got this Lincoln Electric 140HD from HomeDepot. It's a 120V MIG so you can use it with a standard electrical outlet at home. I was planning on using NR-211-MP wire, the stuff it comes with for the tacks since its not anything really structural. Basically for $530 you get everything you need to fix the spinning stud.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Nah, I just got this Lincoln Electric 140HD from HomeDepot. It's a 120V MIG so you can use it with a standard electrical outlet at home. I was planning on using NR-211-MP wire, the stuff it comes with for the tacks since its not anything really structural. Basically for $530 you get everything you need to fix the spinning stud.

This. But don't run it on an extension cord or on an outlet that's being powered when you're doing the welding. If you NEED to, find a donkey dick-style cord.

Quick Reply: Subframe Bolt Stripped - Any Ideas