Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Soon-to-be EVO IX RS owner looking for 400whp on stock turbo...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2008 | 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Oops... I meant to quote the other one
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I was talking about the exhaust manifold there. However, I did also have a Megan exhaust for a few years, and I had absolutely no problems with it. It was a good exhaust, but it weighed exactly 10lbs more than my Buschur does, and it had the resonated test pipe that is only 2.5" inner diameter or so. They may make a new version now with no resonated test pipe, but in the past that was the standard. Also, the muffler is more restrictive than the BR Bullet muffler.
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

All the latest testpipe are resonated 3in all the way through. How is it Buschur's muffler flows better? Both are ~3in perforated cores? IIRC the Buschur muffler tapers to 3.5in in the muffler but didn't Buschur himself state that 3.5in didn't do anything even at his power levels? I really don't see how 10lbs is going to make a difference. Looks of the exhaust and pricing would play more of a concern. IMO Megan is quieter and costs less. Of course that is just my opinion. Also in no way knocking Buschurs if it were my choice I would think the Megan is better. Even though I have neither of these brands.

Last edited by dbsears; Jul 6, 2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Megan Racing is not in Warrtalon's free sponsorship list of parts in his signature. Please don't expect to receive their recommendation even though they are the best quality and priced system in the marketplace.

Also it would be our recommendation to follow the recommendation of those who ACTUALLY HAVE ACHIEVED 400whp.

Warrtalon has taken 3 years to make 320whp, take that FWIW.
Ok, here we go again with the harassment. I have plenty of parts that weren't free that I laud. I also have had parts that were free that I didn't speak well of. In this case, I owned and ran a Megan TBE for almost 2 years, and part of it WAS free! It was good for being cheap - that's it. I made more power with my BR and saved another 10lbs all while not having that ridiculous 5" tip.

Best quality system in the marketplace??? You have _got_ to be kidding me. That in and of itself is enough to make me gag.

Those who have "actually achieved 400whp"??? I've taken 3 years to make 320whp???? Hahahaha, do you really think people are so stupid as to not understand how dynos read differently? Are you going to continue to act like altitude has no effect on power? Are you going to keep talking up your 400+whp Mustang Dyno cars that aren't much faster than my "320whp" at extreme altitude? You continue to stick your foot in your mouth at an alarming rate as if people reading your crap are complete idiots.

Is it better to run 11.5 with 320whp or 420whp? Hmmm, I wonder. I wonder if I really have 100whp less than all those cars, or if that dyno just reads a lot higher than mine. I wonder if I were to use the full correction factor (1.26) calculated by the weather station if I would be over 400, too? Hmmmm, I sure hope the general populace isn't dumb enough to fall for all your sensationalism and self-hype.
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
All the latest testpipe are resonated 3in all the way through. How is the Buschur muffler flow better? Both are 3in perforated cores? IIRC the Buschur muffler tapers to 3.5in in the muffler but didn't Buschur himself state that 3.5in didn't do anything even at his power levels? I really don't see how 10lbs is going to make a difference. Looks of the exhaust and pricing would play more of a concern. IMO Megan is quieter and it looks better. Of course that is just my opinion.
How does it flow better? Is that a serious question? Come on, you're smarter than that. That's like asking how an AMS FMIC flows better than an Ebay FMIC? They look the same, right? The Bullet is better than the other 2 BR mufflers per David's own mouth...it was so good, they just got rid of the old race muffler.

You don't see how 10lbs is going to make a difference? What??? People spend $1600 on C/F hoods and trunks to save that much weight. 10lbs is 33% of the BR and 25% of the Megan. That's a LOT of weight difference between two 3" exhausts. Some people may not care, but I prefer the much lighter and more powerful one.

Looks are a non-factor really, because you only see the muffler/tip, and the BR looks way better unless you like 5" tips and the JDM angle. The polished pipes become an ugly, grimy mix of blue/brown in about a month just like the MR exhaust manifold. Yes, the Megan is quieter - it's more restrictive. That's how it works.
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
How does it flow better? Is that a serious question? Come on, you're smarter than that. That's like asking how an AMS FMIC flows better than an Ebay FMIC? They look the same, right? The Bullet is better than the other 2 BR mufflers per David's own mouth...it was so good, they just got rid of the old race muffler.

You don't see how 10lbs is going to make a difference? What??? People spend $1600 on C/F hoods and trunks to save that much weight. 10lbs is 33% of the BR and 25% of the Megan. That's a LOT of weight difference between two 3" exhausts. Some people may not care, but I prefer the much lighter and more powerful one.

Looks are a non-factor really, because you only see the muffler/tip, and the BR looks way better unless you like 5" tips and the JDM angle. The polished pipes become an ugly, grimy mix of blue/brown in about a month just like the MR exhaust manifold. Yes, the Megan is quieter - it's more restrictive. That's how it works.
I believe its a legit question. Intercooler design is much more complicated design. How is one 3in perforated muffler going to make more than another? It is a very simple design. That isn't nuclear science. About the only difference is the muffler packing.
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 10:44 PM
Account Disabled

All the latest testpipe are resonated 3in all the way through. How is it Buschur's muffler flows better? Both are ~3in perforated cores? IIRC the Buschur muffler tapers to 3.5in in the muffler but didn't Buschur himself state that 3.5in didn't do anything even at his power levels? I really don't see how 10lbs is going to make a difference. Looks of the exhaust and pricing would play more of a concern. IMO Megan is quieter and costs less. Of course that is just my opinion. Also in no way knocking Buschurs if it were my choice I would think the Megan is better. Even though I have neither of these brands.
The fitment and finish of the Megan Racing unit is perfect. I cannot say this about some of the other products within this thread.

FWIW, Buschur also sponsored Warrtalon. His advice should be approached knowing this information.
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

I believe its a legit question. Intercooler design is much more complicated design. How is one 3in perforated muffler going to make more than another? It is a very simple design. That isn't nuclear science. About the only difference is the muffler packing.
Yes, an FMIC is more complicated, but the point is that...well, you missed the point it seems, since you said it again, "How is one 3in perforated muffler going to make more than another?" I don't know, I guess we'll just sit here and assume all perforated mufflers make the exact same power!!!
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

The fitment and finish of the Megan Racing unit is perfect. I cannot say this about some of the other products within this thread.

FWIW, Buschur also sponsored Warrtalon. His advice should be approached knowing this information.
Man, you sure love to say this over and over again.

How about you? EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS TO FURTHER YOUR OWN BUSINESS. I guess no one should listen to any of your advice, since it's all for the purpose of making money. At least in my case, I have been given both a Megan and BR TBE through sponsorships. I have run both for over a year with success, and I am not sponsored by anyone now who would supply such things to me or who would benefit from my comments. Looks to me like my opinion is FAR MORE VALID than yours then, since I have nothing to gain...
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 10:57 PM
Account Disabled

Yes, I was talking about the exhaust manifold there. However, I did also have a Megan exhaust for a few years, and I had absolutely no problems with it. It was a good exhaust, but it weighed exactly 10lbs more than my Buschur does, and it had the resonated test pipe that is only 2.5" inner diameter or so. They may make a new version now with no resonated test pipe, but in the past that was the standard. Also, the muffler is more restrictive than the BR Bullet muffler.
The MEGAN RACING EXHAUST is a full 3" mandrel bent exhaust system. The testpipe is resonated, the catback has a resonator. There are no 2.5" MEGAN RACING testpipes in the marketplace at the moment. ALL UNITS are a full 3" everywhere.
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 11:03 PM
Account Disabled

Man, you sure love to say this over and over again.

How about you? EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS TO FURTHER YOUR OWN BUSINESS. I guess no one should listen to any of your advice, since it's all for the purpose of making money. At least in my case, I have been given both a Megan and BR TBE through sponsorships. I have run both for over a year with success, and I am not sponsored by anyone now who would supply such things to me or who would benefit from my comments. Looks to me like my opinion is FAR MORE VALID than yours then, since I have nothing to gain...
Everything we say is TRUTHFUL.

Megan Racing does not sponsor our cars.

I paid full retail for my own system before we were impressed with the quality, fit and finish of the MEGAN and chose to become the largest Evo dealer.

WE WILL NOT SIT BACK AND IGNORE INACCURACIES ABOUT PRODUCTS IN THE EVO MARKETPLACE as we read your lies about products to promote present and future sponsorships for yourself.
Old Jul 6, 2008 | 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

I have seen more than few Megan products that aren't up to snuff. I think its pretty well known about their o2 housings and manifold quality. I respect Warrtalon quite a bit and usually sometimes disagree. But don't play innocent when you always tout Megan as he likes too support his sponsors as he should.

Yes, an FMIC is more complicated, but the point is that...well, you missed the point it seems, since you said it again, "How is one 3in perforated muffler going to make more than another?" I don't know, I guess we'll just sit here and assume all perforated mufflers make the exact same power!!!
The point I was trying to make when looking at various brands of 3in perforated muffler their is very little difference if both are a true 3in. Thats obviously an outsourced muffler Buschur uses but it seems high quality. Thats like saying one 3in pipe is better than another. If both are 3in how is one better? Now if you take some of Greddy's that taper down to 2.5in then yes the Buschur flows much better. But for sake of discussion both Megan and Buschur are 3in all the way through. How will one flow better than another? I have a feeling either way this thread is long gone though
Old Jul 7, 2008 | 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

I love how this thread was hijacked lol. Do some more research on your own , as far as ttp goes they give advice to many people on parts and stages, some of the parts they don't even carry themselves. Call a shop or a knowledgeable person whos worked on more than one evo ttp,ams,buschur,dynoflash, to get your plan of attack.
Old Jul 7, 2008 | 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

TBE, MBC, FP, FMIC, & Fuel. Don't forget that you'll be needing a clutch soon too with that power. If you don't make it with those parts, then try adding cams.
Old Jul 7, 2008 | 07:56 AM
Account Disabled

I have seen more than few Megan products that aren't up to snuff. I think its pretty well known about their o2 housings and manifold quality.
Megan O2 housings are on all 3 of the 430whp+ stock turbo record holders we tuned last week. We have never had a problem with them.