Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car died when alternator went out, Now no power, Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car died when alternator went out, Now no power, Please Help.

Alright, my alternator on my 2005 evo VIII was going out on me, so i drove it in to a nissan dealership (no mitsu dealer in town), on the way there my car died due to no regenerative power coming from the alternator. Towed it the rest of the way. They installed my new alternator and now my car runs like crap. It holds peak boost about 20psi but, is louder and has NO power like it should. It honestly runs like crap. It revs up normally and runs like it should aside from being just a little throatier and with No power, I've got 417awhp normally. Feels like i'm driving a dam 1.8t. Please help, the dealership isn't doing much. I've got the AEM EMS, HKS GT3037, and many supporting mods. Could it be a fuse? I changed out the plugs, it wasn't them. Anything fried due to running out of juice while driving? Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bad tank of gas?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:16 PM

should've done it yourself.... Maybe your hoses????
Old Jul 7, 2008, 02:00 PM

Yeah, that alternator is in a tight spot. It was running just fine before i took it to the shop and it still has the same gas. Hmm.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not good!! It could be anything.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 04:13 PM

Need specifics to check haha. But, yeah, it could be anything.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 09:28 AM

bump
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Check to see if your timing marks are lined up...also make sure the serpentine belt isnt slipping....then I would do a boost leak test etc...
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:37 AM

I by no means am a expert on the EVO but with you losing power like that it might of missed up your tune, maybe reset it or something, just me thinking out loud
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

The tune is stored in the ecu....you can disco the battery and whatever and the last tune that the aem had stored is what will be there....but it is worth looking though since that is the easiest thing to check.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 01:45 PM

I disconnected the positive terminal on my batt a few days ago thinking that same thing. It didn't help it. The timing belt shouldn't have been touched during an alternator install, I checked the work slip and it wasn't. I'll check on the serpintine belt, but, even if it was slipping i don't think it would effect power immediately? My volts from my alternator are right on so I think its not slipping. I'll upload my original tune again tonight and let you guys know if anything changes. Thanks alot for the help thus far guys. I'll check fuses, reset the old tune, and sniff around for any boost leaks, etc..
Old Jul 8, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

I know the timing belt isnt touched but if they had the cover off and dropped anything in the belt...just covering all bases
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:23 PM

Ah, the gears are exposed all the time anyway. I need to get a cover for it. I can check the marks and see if they line up.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 09:03 PM

Figured it out, the injector wire came off the top of the injector. My dumbass "mechanic" broke the clips so my #4 cylinder's cap was only touching intermittently. A saying to live by, "Your mechanic is only as good as his shop is tighty." I've heard that before and this guy's shop is a wreck, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. There is another saying for you .. Thanks for the help everyone.