Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Driveshaft making noise

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2008, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveshaft making noise

Got a clutch put in at a local shop, picked the car up, got gas, then went to work with no issues. I go to leave on lunch and I notice the car is making the "failing bearing" sound. At first I thought it was brake related, but after having several coworkers listen to it, we determined that it is coming from underneath the car. The speed of the noise increases as vehicle speed increases. What could it be? Carrier bearing? Pinion bearing? My buddy and I are gonna put it on the lift this afternoon and see if we cant pinpoint it. Thanks for any help you guys can give.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's probably the exhaust rubbing against the driveshaft. What exhaust is on the car?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Surprise, surprise. It wont make the noise when it is on the lift. I think the drivetrain has to be under load to get it to make the noise. I have a Burschur exhaust, and it appears to have alot of clearance from the driveshaft. Ideas?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

ive seen this problem before, i think. if it sounds like a tinking sound, its the driveshaft rubbing the tail of the transfer case housing and can be fix real easy by ajusting the tail cap of the draftshaft. can you describe the sound a little more?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SpoolnupTuning
ive seen this problem before, i think. if it sounds like a tinking sound, its the driveshaft rubbing the tail of the transfer case housing and can be fix real easy by ajusting the tail cap of the draftshaft. can you describe the sound a little more?
I think you are onto something here. At first it sounded like a brake squealer on a warped rotor. Kind of a "ree...ree...ree" sound. Now it does sound like more of a "tink" sound. Its freaking embarassing to drive a car of this caliber and have it making junker noises.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Vibrant
I think you are onto something here. At first it sounded like a brake squealer on a warped rotor. Kind of a "ree...ree...ree" sound. Now it does sound like more of a "tink" sound. Its freaking embarassing to drive a car of this caliber and have it making junker noises.
thats whats wrong, ive seen this before it happen to mine too. when i put in my clutch i did it and **** me off till i found it. but just get it up on a lift and you will see the head of draftshaft is hitting the cap on the end of the driveshaft.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

I havent ever heard of the BR exhaust rubbing, but any exhaust could possibly rub if it was mis-aligned, or bent for instance.

If the exhaust is rubbing you'll see a shiney part here. This part is black from the factory. It's hard to see from a lift because it actually rubs on the top of the exhaust pipe. I had been under my car 5 or 6 times looking for the rub before I found it. This is an extreme case pictured..

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Jul 12, 2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

New developement: After driving the car a bit, the sound goes away. But when the car has had a chance to sit awhile, the sound comes back until you drive it a bit more. Wtf?!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

transfer case maybe, have you changed the fluid regularly? Proper fluid level?

do you have the ability to get a sound clip, most digital cameras have some video / sound ability.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

It could be hitting the exhaust as it warms up. The exhaust grows as it gets hotter and it may rub at one of the intermediate stages of growth. I had a problem with mine where it would hit my rear sway bar when cold but had a bunch of clearance when hot.