Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

1st Shakedown on PT 6765 Turbo - 9.80 @ 138.9 mph !

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:18 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Shakedown on PT 6765 Turbo - 9.80 @ 138.9 mph !

I went to ATCO raceway this Thursday evening to do my first shakedown on the new PT6765 turbo set up I have put together for Pinks All out which is in two weeks.

I wanted to share my results as they are very promising for this turbo combination and I thought in general the whole project I am doing is very curious

Lets recap what has transpired thus far

This season I upgraded my Gt42 to a larger 76 mm wheel and upgraded my fuel system to handle extreme levels of fuel supply at very high boost. Making 55 psi plus I was able to temporarily set a power record of 1060 whp to the wheels with a full exhuast and air to air fmic.

This is when we cracked 1016 whp - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoZS7F-Zb5A

1062 WHP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjcoKpny8SA

Sadly, over time the set up with the large Gt42 proved to me not only very unpleasant and difficult to pilot down the track due to its exterme lag and high end power band but also very punishing on parts (cracking blocks in half and snapping rods, etc).

With my apperance on Pinks All out looming large I made the decision to go in a different direction in order to make my car more consistant as a race car - more reliable and most imporantly more fun to drive.

Those who are more curious on this subject can read my previous two threads on the project - here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=355643

and here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=352987

I wanted to reieterate that I owe the inspriration for my decision to go with a smaller turbo to David Buschur and his fleet of super fast 9 second street cars which were at the May Buschur Shootout Race in Ohio. There is no doubt that having a super fast 9 second street car with a driveable turbo is a lot more fun that a drag monstrosity with a giant laggy Gt42.

Onto what happend on Thursday. I am getting very good at wrenching and tuning Evos (after 6 years of trying). I put this whole new Buschur Engine together and into the car and fired it up for its dyno break in. Other than re-tq'ing the head studs I have no lifted a wrench to the car since building it 3 weeks ago. Not a leak, drip or problem of any kind. I dyno tuned it in 3 quick passes on the dyno and headed to the track to see how the car would make out.

I took it out on the road driving around to shake it down with a photograher from the Uk who is at ICS doing some photo shoots on BMW's they are building there and he said it was the fastest street car he has ever been in (I have a video of that I will be adding to my You Tube Channel soon but will NOT link it here as Evo m does not want street driving vieos on here).

At ATCO - my very first pass down the track shifting rather easy and with terible tire spin in 1st gear and a 1.78 60' was a very promising 10.2 @ 142 mph.

They had a really nasty bike accident so I had to wait in the staging lanes for the next 4 1/2 hours while they conducted a clean up and run out a whole bunch of other cars. At one point they decided to let us go, I started the camera and you can hear the track guy tell me to "get confortable" as they changed their mind and decided to let the street cars run some more.

Anyway 10:10 pm at night after a long wait I get my second and final pass and being so tired I forget to turn on the video! The second pass is 9.8 @ 138 mph.

I am very happy with the new set up and now I am going to work harder to dial it in 100% and squeeze out the last ounce of power I can and make it more reposnive between shifts.

I feel this set up as a mid 9 second potential and will prove to be very easy to drive and very enjoyable.

I am super happy to crack into the 9's so easily on the new set up so easily and so quickly.

I wrenched it, drove it and tuned it myself but super thanks and appreciation goes out to Master David Buschur for the idea to switch to a smaller turbo and for all the great Buschur Parts and the Buschur Motor which is a amazing power plant. Also, the Buschur Race FMIC is working like a charm even in 90 degree hot summer heat.

Here is the video which includes some footage from my outside car camera which is something new I am toying with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVT45AbMun0
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

I'm sporting that Race FMIC too. and love that I'll never have to buy another. Congrats on the new setup. Can you post a dyno chart? How do you feel this would be on a street car?
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:59 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mtevoracer
I'm sporting that Race FMIC too. and love that I'll never have to buy another. Congrats on the new setup. Can you post a dyno chart? How do you feel this would be on a street car?
This is a great street set up. The car made 740 whp on the dyno at 41 psi.

IMHO for a street driven car the PT62/65 or 62/62 would make nearly as much power at the same boost level but with a faster spooling response and those may proven to be a better choice.

The HTA Gt35 continues to be the bench mark of the ultimate street turbo IMHO as it has the potential for lightning fast spool up and 740 whp also on our dyno as evidenced by the Bad Bish II (which also makes 630 who on pump gas at 30 psi)

These are good times for street cars as there are a lot of great turbo choices out there and they all seem to work great

Al
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:21 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Excellent ET for the MPH!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats on the new found method....consistency is better than a few glory runs.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keep that 9.8 and you will be on pinks easy thats what they always use
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:53 AM
Account Disabled

9's on the first outing...very nice Al congrats.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

nice run al congrats!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Al that is awesome!! From the looks of the video, you are running the stock coils? No coil on plug?
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Nice job Al!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:03 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Poloiceberg
Congrats on the new found method....consistency is better than a few glory runs.
It speaks volumes for the physics behind drag racing and what consitutes a good drag racing set up.

After watching so many V8 Amercian Iron powered drag cars going high 9's with low 130 mph trap speeds, it was making me ill to see a 150 - 155 mph trap speed an a high 9 second pass out of my car with the Gt42.

I am very confident that with my present set up I would do really well racing against my more powerful gt42 set up as driving the Gt42 set up was very difficult. Staging was trickey, making sure the car is on boost before you leave, holding out 1st gear to the right mph so you dont bog 2nd, making sure you dont leave too hard and break the transmission in half, etc. etc.

With the new set up, its more like driving a typical customer's street car, sit on the two step momentarily and then drive it like you stole it. Much easier to drive and more forgiving when you miss a shift point as you have a broader power band and its much harder to fall out of the sweet spot and bog between shifts.

I will admit that it is lacking the out of control, dangerous, insane power rush of the Gt42 in 3rd gear when it hits 55 psi and the car starts to slide back and forth like you are on a patch of ice. That top end trust is totally gone. There is a huge difference in the back 1/8th between 750 whp 1,000 whp. The car now feels tame and slow by comparison. Having gotten the 1,000 whp thing out of my system and having already expereinced what it feels like to have a rod exit the block at 149 mph I am confident that I have gotten my fill of the sling shot effect. (At least for now).

My main objective for now is to try and take the Pinks All out competition as seriously as I can on the limited budget I have available to work with. Having the ET and MPH look within reason is very important if I am to convince the producers of the Pinks TV show that i am realy going ALL OUT and not holding back. I am sure they would not be "feeling" a high 9 second 154 mph time slip which is what I had before.

I am working with David Buschur and Forced Performance on a few minor changes to the set up which hopefully will get me into the mid 9's. I have to say thanks to Buschur Racing for their continued assistance and guidance.

I feel the MPH is a bit off on the set up for the weight 3200 lbs and dyno power 740 so I have already begun the process to try and further refine the present set up and tweak it a bit more.

Incidentally, we have a customer who is running a very similar turbo who is making 630 whp @ 34 psi on pump with Aquamist and that is a really fun running street machine for sure. The feeling when you are winding out the gears is like a super car. Very intoxicating.

Al

Last edited by DynoFlash; Jul 13, 2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Great first outing! I was at ICS when Al took the DynoFlash Evo off the trailer and into the ICS bay. Car sounds and still looks amazing, and that VP Import fuel is still fresh in my memory! Good luck dialing it in and show Pinks the real deal!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Al good luck on pinks, I will be there in person to cheer you on!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Good to know Al, I have the same turbo coming in a few weeks.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 02:50 PM
Former Sponsor

I have that turbo sitting here to go on a customers car and i cant wait to get to get some results.. I was always happy with the 67p trim from precision as I feel its the baddest t3 turbo..

Congrats Al on the 9 sec pass right out of the box on the new setup.. I sometimes wish i had that setup still as it makes racing the car alot more fun since it will break alot less.. I guess i am going to have to take my RS and get it up and going so when i cause wreckage with the 42r i have a backup to still have fun with like you are!! Good luck!!

Quick Reply: 1st Shakedown on PT 6765 Turbo - 9.80 @ 138.9 mph !