Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whistle/whine under boost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2008, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Whistle/whine under boost

Hey guys,

I am kind of a noob when it comes to Evo's, so I need your help. I just bought a '06 Evo IX MR from the BMW dealer a couple days ago and I have been getting a kind of whistle/whine from the engine bay while under boost.
Sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_FXe...eature=related

The car appears to be stock except for a badge on the back that says Dyno-Comp tuned. I am thinking that it is running lean because it was tuned with some upgrades and then put back to stock for trade in...

What do you all think? Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jzapatajr
Hey guys,

I am kind of a noob when it comes to Evo's, so I need your help. I just bought a '06 Evo IX MR from the BMW dealer a couple days ago and I have been getting a kind of whistle/whine from the engine bay while under boost.
Sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_FXe...eature=related

The car appears to be stock except for a badge on the back that says Dyno-Comp tuned. I am thinking that it is running lean because it was tuned with some upgrades and then put back to stock for trade in...

What do you all think? Thanks in advance!
Sounds like you have a leaking intercooler pipe. It would be a good thing to look at all couplers and clamps, to make sure all are tight and non leaking. If it doesnt have the stock intake on it, then you will hear the turbo spooling. Another way to check isif you have a boost gauge, watch it and make sure the boost is not falling real bad. But i would def. see about getting a tune before something bad happens.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by SpoolnupTuning
Sounds like you have a leaking intercooler pipe. It would be a good thing to look at all couplers and clamps, to make sure all are tight and non leaking. If it doesnt have the stock intake on it, then you will hear the turbo spooling. Another way to check isif you have a boost gauge, watch it and make sure the boost is not falling real bad. But i would def. see about getting a tune before something bad happens.
I'm not real familiar with how the boost is suppost to behaive. But when not accelerating it is pretty low...way below 0 on the boost gauge. Is that normal?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 07:29 AM

bump
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well boost varies with different gears right. It takes a while to build boost while I am unsure of what stock levels are, it should hit peak and fall slowly.

I second the noise being a boost leak. Did you check all couplers? Look for holes in your pipes, and tighten the couplers then check to see if the problem persists.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jzapatajr
I'm not real familiar with how the boost is suppost to behaive. But when not accelerating it is pretty low...way below 0 on the boost gauge. Is that normal?
You should be seeing low boost or vacum when at low accelerating, but when at full accelerating you should see no more than 23 or 24 psi. the boost will not come onto somewhere around 4k or little less, but if the car has a tune and someone has taken off parts i would def. check on getting a tune! But does the car have a intake or is it on the stock air box??
Old Jul 14, 2008, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something else to consider is the early 65mm throttle bodies had a problem with whistling. The easiest way to tell if yours has been bored over is to pop the UICP pipe off at the throttle body and see if the throttle valve itself is made of bronze/ brass looking material. or you could take it off and measure. PM me and I'll see if I can take a picture of my stock one next to the 65mm ones I have been making.

Josh
Old Jul 14, 2008, 05:00 PM

My ix mr has the same sound until its properly warmed up, is it cold when you hear the whistle. Also are you sure its not your intake filter sucking in the air.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:56 PM

The more I am learning about my car... the more I am thinking it is just a normal sound it makes... ha-ha Sorry for being a Noob

It is quite possibly just the intake...
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

the whistle sound is called a Turbo....
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

its probably missing these plastics i just cant remember there names if u dont have them the snorkel is making a seal with the hood when or under accelaration, and never mind the k&n intake on the pic... check it if you have a stock intake, if you have an aftermarket intake then its something else
Attached Thumbnails Whistle/whine under boost-rez-k-n.jpg  

Last edited by ciclops04; Jul 14, 2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03
the whistle sound is called a Turbo....

But that still sounds kinda high pitched.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

that dosen't sound right. i'd do a boost leak test.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
If you hear an excessive wistle it's likely a leak at the Turbo Outlet Pipe or LICP