Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

colder spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
colder spark plugs

hello,
I am getting tuned in a week and a half and i want to make sure that my car is fully ready. It has basic bolt ons such as intake tbe ebc front mount licp etc. Should i swap my plugs for one step colder plugs? If so which ones? Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
hello,
I am getting tuned in a week and a half and i want to make sure that my car is fully ready. It has basic bolt ons such as intake tbe ebc front mount licp etc. Should i swap my plugs for one step colder plugs? If so which ones? Thanks in advance!
Stockers are good for now, after a 100 hp increase go 1 step colder.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWOLN
Stockers are good for now, after a 100 hp increase go 1 step colder.
Why is that?? Most of the time everyone recommends the stock plugs, If I have 550 whp what plugs should I take if I follow your advise, like 3 steps colder???
Old Jul 15, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ He didn't say for every 100 hp increase over stock go a step colder.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

What is the purpose of colder spark plugs? How would they be used? Just would like to know.

Last edited by AIEvo9MR; Jul 15, 2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 05:19 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Colder plugs allow more heat to escape from the combustion chamber. This gives you more wiggle room to add more chamber pressure (boost or timing) without auto ignition. The downside, is if you go too cold, you will foul your plugs a lot, because they don't burn hot enough to keep the carbon build up off of them. Stock is 7 in the heat range and I run 8 heat range plugs (NGK BPR8ES), but have known people to run 9 without too much trouble.

Last edited by fre; Jul 15, 2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dragracer187
Why is that?? Most of the time everyone recommends the stock plugs, If I have 550 whp what plugs should I take if I follow your advise, like 3 steps colder???
Relax man, we are all trying to go fast here on EvoM.

My reason for saying 100 hp is based on heat control, not some generic answer. For me, I use pump gas more often than any other fuel, usually 93 octane. When I try to push it a little I like the cushion of the colder heat range on my plug.

The one step colder helps in detonation as most everyone will attest, by removing heat from the combustion chamber. Now, if someone uses race fuel, or meth, that is an added type of detonation control. Beyond that we start looking at ways to reduce back presure, like head porting, turbo porting, ect, ect. ... basically it all about heat control.

...and please stop blowing this out of proportion, if the OP has asked the question about plugs initially he obviously has a steep learning curve ahead of him/her before 550 hp. The information to understand how a motor works and to make power is already enough to get confused. Have some respect for the OP.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

what about using BR8ES, which are the non projected tip?
Old Jul 15, 2008, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
i appreciate all the advice i have been given to this point. Im still a little confused however. I have always heard that for every 50hp you should go one step colder plugs such as with a shot of nitrous. Anyway my car will not be putting down an increase in 100hp obviously.

Is running one step plugs going to benefit my car in anyway?

Im aware that if colder plugs arent needed then it will hurt gas millage and probably other things so im trying to become educated before just going out and doing... any other feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

basicly its like this to simplify it...

if ur stockish and have few mods just get stock plugs. you don't have enough changes to need different plugs.

if ur decently modded with some bolt ons and tuned with either heavily advanced timing or high boost then just get the 8's which are the 1 step colder and replace them every like 6k miles for best results. plugs r only 2 bucks each and take minutes to change so keep up with em for optimum performance
Old Jul 16, 2008, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
Relax man, we are all trying to go fast here on EvoM.

My reason for saying 100 hp is based on heat control, not some generic answer. For me, I use pump gas more often than any other fuel, usually 93 octane. When I try to push it a little I like the cushion of the colder heat range on my plug.

The one step colder helps in detonation as most everyone will attest, by removing heat from the combustion chamber. Now, if someone uses race fuel, or meth, that is an added type of detonation control. Beyond that we start looking at ways to reduce back presure, like head porting, turbo porting, ect, ect. ... basically it all about heat control.

...and please stop blowing this out of proportion, if the OP has asked the question about plugs initially he obviously has a steep learning curve ahead of him/her before 550 hp. The information to understand how a motor works and to make power is already enough to get confused. Have some respect for the OP.
Thanks for the explanation, I was not attacking you, everyone has a different opinion about when to go to a step colder, it confuses me. I think for 550 I will try one step colder and see how it works out.