Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Getting Ready To Buy an EVO, STi forums scaring me

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Ready To Buy an EVO, STi forums scaring me

I have 2002 WRX now but I am looking into getting an Evolution to fill in for my currently stock car. I was really looking at getting an STi but 300 a month for the entire US and deealers keep painted pinstrips and putting in ungodly expensive radios on the ones that are sitting on the showroom floor. Plus I want the car that will outhandle the STi. And I just want something different than my Subaru.

Skip here for more to get the details:

I was wondering about the relaibility issues of 's. And how worried should I be about the clutch problem? Last thing do you think if I told the dealer to take off 500 of the price of the car then he could just install a clutch for me because I am scared of the replacement no covered?
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

I have a modded Evo that I used to drive in stop and go traffic, I have driven it hard in canyons, and I drove it cross-country. 10,600 miles and not a peep of a problem. No rattles, squeaks, clutch or tranny problems. Just lots of fun.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:34 PM

that is all well and good but what about all the others that are reporting dieing when it is wet outside, and clutch dieing after a couple thousand miles.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Dude, I drove through torrential rain in Tennessee, 101 degree weather in New Mexico, etc etc with the A/C on. NO PROBLEMS! The people you read about with the clutch problems? 90% of them are doing drag launches and frying the thing. The rest might be unlucky. I know a lot of people who have Evos and drive them hard. No sweat. If you are so worried about reliability, then how could you even considering the detonation-prone STi with it's unproven motor? Buy a Honda and sleep well at night.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:43 PM

I am not going to buy a honda, I am just not ready to get into another WRX. Weak clutch, especially for the way I drive. I will drag this car hard on occasion. But a few thousand miles is not hard driving that is defective. I can only hope that I am as fortunate as you to have a perfectly running evo. I considered the STi because it had more horsepower, but the detonation scared me away, plus I dont feel like paying the extra $ for crappy seats, no radio, and the same interior I have in the parking lot.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Tell you what - if the clutch is what scares you, upgrade it to twin-disk (Exedy, Cusco, whomever else) and then don't worry. Trust me, this car is fun. Just be a little sympathetic mechanically.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:46 PM

Sounds like the plan I am thinking about. What will that do for driveability. Will I have clutch pedal feel like trying to crush a rock, or is there much change.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

If you are so worry...then buy the STI. Then maybe you will even be more worry of other things. However, I think you are hearing mostly from those that have things breaking only. Because you rarely here from people with no problems. Oh, btw 6000 miles and heat above 110 in AZ, running 91 peewater, I haven't had any problems yet. (Knock on wood)....
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by WRXEVOGuy
I considered the STi because it had more horsepower, but the detonation scared me away, plus I dont feel like paying the extra $ for crappy seats, no radio, and the same interior I have in the parking lot.
well the i heard the detonation can be fixed by having your ECU reflashed. unfortunatly as for the interior, and no radio...cant help with that one
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with Chris. Don't drop the clutch at 7k and you will love the car. If you take it to a drag strip you will replace the clutch pretty quickly. This is a road racing car not a drag car!
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:53 PM
Account Disabled

Stage 3 ClutchMaster Cluth....solution to your problems.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:54 PM

Dont get me wrong, I am not tearing down the car. I am just making sure that I dont make the mistake I did with the wrx, and replacing the f***ing clutch. To get all testy about the EVO. I love the car too.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Well, if you watch or have seen 5th gear (they test all new cars in EU, and they are awesome ), when they show cars with AWD, they always say to let the car roll a little first and THEN floor it. Otherwise, it will ruin the clutch or it will wear prematurely. Most EVOs that run low 13s dump their clutch around 5-6k. If you will be dumping the clutch at those RPMs, expect to replace the clutch sooner than 12k miles (the factory will warrantee it up to 12k provided they do not detect abuse).

I have 3200 mi on my EVO and I love it a lot. With just a boost gauge, AEM cone intake, and an MBC, the car is a beast. I bet you I can smoke a stock STi with $150 worth of mods!!!

Judging from detonation issues, it seems like the STi is the one that is overstrung to produce 300HP300TQ, though a lot of NASIOC and other STi forums say 19.5psi is a lot.

Read a few forums here (specially AlfredSQ, a former STi owner) and you will never look back!

Last edited by BadBoyBeltran; Aug 20, 2003 at 05:19 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 12:55 AM

Yup, like everyone says, don't drag it and it will be fine. I go drfting alot and pop the clutch to make the rear drift so I installed the twin plate excedy clutch. It's just a tad bit harder than stock but no probs. Evo all the way. I don't know about the WRX but remember, Mitsubishi made the car for RACING then built the car for sale to the public. Most cars are the other way around. Even supra, 300Z, VR4, NSX, ETC.... Only other car that I know of that were made for race then sales are, Skyline GT-R, R390-GT1!

Last edited by mama's evo7; Aug 22, 2003 at 01:00 AM.