Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I'll be looking at this VIII tomorrow A.M., what should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of numbers am I looking for with a compression test?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

F*** the comp' test. Thanks for letting me know what's up! Why was it such a piece though? Out of curiousity...
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

WTF?! I just finished washing my car (about an hour), & was getting ready to go to sleep & dream of me being an Evo owner! The last car was a IX & was a great car, but the dealer was REALLY trying to screw me out of my car for like...pennies. If they were not such thieves, I would've bought the car. Oh well...the search continues...F*CK!!!
Old Jul 22, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Car had a maft translater, barely idled, had boost leaks galore.. Most the rims are curbed badly.. Its worth about 12k in all honesty..
I think this depends how dedicated you'd be to having an evo, like if you're willing to fix small problems. The only costly thing Mike listed is the rims. The other stuff can be fixed easily in my opinion.
maft translator - not sure what it is but guessing a piggyback device. Just remove it.
barely idle - fixed by tuning ecu
boost leaks - easy fix

Only things I'd be worried about are engine compression, tranny, and clutch condition (does the shifting feel easy or difficult?)

For the turbo, bring a flash light and one of those mirrors on a stick and look for something like this

TD05-16G6-9.8T is what that car should have from the factory.

Last edited by roger smith; Jul 22, 2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 08:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roger smith
I think this depends how dedicated you'd be to having an evo, like if you're willing to fix small problems. The only costly thing Mike listed is the rims. The other stuff can be fixed easily in my opinion.
maft translator - not sure what it is but guessing a piggyback device. Just remove it.
barely idle - fixed by tuning ecu
boost leaks - easy fix

Only things I'd be worried about are engine compression, tranny, and clutch condition (does the shifting feel easy or difficult?)
Your forgetting they want 19k for it.. Like i said for 12k if your into a fixer upper itll be ok.. not 1.00 more.. The body is a mess, the transfer case whines, and the list goes on and on.. I can barely remember as this was 3 months ago i sent the car back to auction..
Old Jul 22, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

+1 ^^ that pretty much sums it up.. not an easy fix anymore... good thing you guys come on here and check up on us...
Old Jul 22, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Your forgetting they want 19k for it.. Like i said for 12k if your into a fixer upper itll be ok.. not 1.00 more.. The body is a mess, the transfer case whines, and the list goes on and on.. I can barely remember as this was 3 months ago i sent the car back to auction..
If Mike wont touch it, I definately wouldn't. I would say all of those things to him like it barely idles, there's all kinds of boost leaks, and the rims are trashed. Offer him 12k and if not, keep looking dude you will find what you are looking for. There's always nice evos in that price range for sale on EvoM.