Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

OOPS! Leaded gas??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2003, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OOPS! Leaded gas??

Oh Crap. Accidently put about 2 gal of LEADED 110 racing gas in my Evo mixed in with about 11 gal of 91. I wasn't paying attention, thought it was unleaded.

What will this do (if anything) to my car? Will it screw anything up?? Or do I have no worries as long as its just a one time thing? Or is it just no problem?
Old Aug 21, 2003, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It can coat your O2 sensors and catalytic converters, ruining your emmissions system making your car run crappy. One time and dilluted won't hurt though.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

I could screw things up. But if you only have 2 gals in a tank that is filled with normal unleaded, you'll prolly be fine.

But as a precaution, I would purge the tank if I were you. Only a couple of $$ in wasted gas is worth piece of mind, I'd think.

SC~
Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Take off your cat, put on a test pipe and go enjoy your car at a the nearest road racing venue, you'll empty a full tank in about 30 mins. Yee haw! Congratulations! I think I may use this excuse with my wife. Doh.. I just put leaded fuel in, I have to go to the track now to fix it...
Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:33 AM

2 Gallons isn't gonna do crap. Using leaded gas once in a blue moon is actually good for your car. It can actually help get rid of any carbon deposits in your engine, but I wouldn't reccomend running it all the time and straight.

Best regards,

Mike
NorthEast Auto Design
www.ForPerformance.com
www.NorthEastAutoDesign.com
1.800.296.6560 ext. 202
Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NEADmike: Are you sure? I mean, I don;t want to do it again, but if you really know that the 2 gal won;t hurt, then I don't want to drain it.... and I may put the other 2 gal in in a few weeks (just to empty the can). But if it is gonna screw up my CAT or something, then I'll be out with the siphon!!! If you are right, that is cool.. I am just nervous. FYI: car is totally stock... no mods.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Mister2zx3
Take off your cat, put on a test pipe and go enjoy your car at a the nearest road racing venue, you'll empty a full tank in about 30 mins. Yee haw! Congratulations! I think I may use this excuse with my wife. Doh.. I just put leaded fuel in, I have to go to the track now to fix it...
Good one, that was what I was thinking.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

No...Leaded gas is NOT good for your car at all. Modern detergent gasses have just as much 'cleansing' power. And besides, is it worth it to clean your engine at the cost of your cat?

SC~
Old Aug 21, 2003, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
No...Leaded gas is NOT good for your car at all. Modern detergent gasses have just as much 'cleansing' power. And besides, is it worth it to clean your engine at the cost of your cat?

SC~
Heck yea! ... the stock cat is a restrictive piece of GARBAGE anyway! I say purposely destroy it so u can go buy a test pipe or a 'real' high flo cat. JK Chimpie ...
Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:04 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cats can be replaced with test pipe cheaply but the the O2 sensors is what i'd be worried about. Those are costly and doesn't add hp
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two gallons of 110 isn't going to hurt anything. Like the new gasoline's today w/ detergents and everything else, so is the 110 leaded gas. I wouldn't waste my time draining it out instead just go to the track. Your cat and 02 sensons will be fine with the small amount of leaded gas you put in.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by gtr
Cats can be replaced with test pipe cheaply but the the O2 sensors is what i'd be worried about. Those are costly and doesn't add hp
That's what I was gonna say. Stole my thunder. On the up side, AEM's UEGO wideband is reasonably inexpensive and looks to be an awesome replacement for anyone's dead O2 sensor(s).
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by svillata
NEADmike: Are you sure? I mean, I don;t want to do it again, but if you really know that the 2 gal won;t hurt, then I don't want to drain it.... and I may put the other 2 gal in in a few weeks (just to empty the can). But if it is gonna screw up my CAT or something, then I'll be out with the siphon!!! If you are right, that is cool.. I am just nervous. FYI: car is totally stock... no mods.
Yes,

I am 100% sure it will do absolutely nothing! I will buy you a brand new factory oem cat or o2 sensor and whatever else it damages if that happens. That's how sure I am that it will do absolutely nothing.

Best regards,

Mike
NorthEast Auto Design
www.ForPerformance.com
www.NorthEastAutoDesign.com
1.800.296.6560 ext. 202