Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Subaru FP green reliability

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the DSM days, I have heard nothing but great things about FP and their products.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by gtpumps
We supply upgrade turbos for EVO's and Subaru's in the Australian market. I can say first hand that Subaru's can have turbo oil feed issues especially with that stupid filter in the banjo bolt. Also the oil banjo bolt on the turbo end of the oil feed line (that post only shows the banjo on the engine end) can be restrictive as well.
Mitsubishi based turbos like good flow AND pressure if you have this they are bullet proof, if not they will not last very long.

In my opinion that post has no relevance to EVO applications.
This is the main problem with all the aftermarket Scooby turbos. Our Evo's coolant and oil feed lines are both extremely effective. The Scooby's were designed for ball bearing turbos so their oil lines are much more restrictive. They weren't designed to feed a turbo with journal bearings and a huge thrust bearing.

What sparky mentions is right, journal bearing turbos should all be pre lubed before start. On our Evo's the oil feed is both gravity and pressure fed. The Scooby's aren't so lucky due to the location of the turbo. Their oil feed lines are pressure fed so after a fresh install, it will take longer for the oil to get to the turbo. This is primarily due to wire mesh filters that are inside the fittings that feed the turbo line.

Cliff Notes: FP Evo specific turbos won't have the cartridge failure issue that the Scooby's have.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ball7068
Yeah, I hear the fact that its a different turbo, and know from reading all kinds of posts on this forum about the Green that the EVO owners don't have problems w/ this turbo, but yes, reading this Subi's customer support experience was a little troubling.
Maybe FP doesnt like Suby as much as Evos?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

I'm going to repost this, as this thread seems to be the active one:

It's a tough spot, for sure. Both for the customer and for the business.

While I tend to side with the customer in this case, I can still see the point of view from the business. The OP seemed to insinuate that if he didn't get a resolution that was satisfactory, he would smear FP across the Internet, which seems to be happening. This passive aggressiveness isn't usually the way to go, but I can understand why the OP did it. He has a big voice in the Subaru forums and let it be known that he will be heard by many.

Perhaps FP thought they were being strong armed into giving this guy a refund, and they wanted to set an example that they will not be blackmailed by consumers. I can see why, but on the other hand, if their turbos are "perfect" as they state they are in that thread, you shouldn't have to worry about it too much.

On the other hand, businesses should know that negative press is not good for business. They should have seized the opportunity to turn a negative into a positive. Instead of having this moderator sing FP's praises for aiding him in his time of need, FP is now seen as some evil corporation in the eyes of those who have read that thread. Was the OP unreasonable in his demands? I think he was reasonably entitled to a refund of both turbochargers, but not any of the labor, tax, etc that he had alluded to (which he wasn't asking for anyways). In the end FP decided to rebuild his FP Green under warranty. They had said they'd refund him his money for the turbo, but the OP refused to hold serve. Ultimately, he refused his rebuilt Green, which he could have sold and gotten some of his money back, but I'm sure he wanted to make a point.

All in all, this kind of thing shouldn't have to happen. The customer is always right is a tired old saying that gets thrown around a lot when people don't get their way. If the customer was always right, nobody would be in business or make any money. However, FP failed take a positive spin on a negative situation and compounded by making it worse. Spend $2,600 and have this guy be a walking FP mouth piece for a few months, or spend 0 zero dollars, rebuild a turbocharger that probably have set aside monies for, and get a bunch of negativity across the Internet. Any smart business would take the first option.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:56 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
The OP in that scooby thread should have pulled his head out of his **** and got the money back for the green, or just had it rebuilt and sought out a resolution to the problem. Blaming it on the turbo is so easy to do, there's just too many other variables in the equation. A free rebuild is a great deal, and a vendor willing to work with you on why there was oil starvation is invaluable.

Driving more and more on a turbo that's already smoking is just stupid, I'm surprised FP didn't say something about that.

The nice thing about the FP Green and Red for us evo guys is that it uses the STOCK center section, no fancy lines needed, bolt on and go.

My only complaint about the flapper issues some people have been having is, perhaps FP could toss an extra spot weld on the flapper while they have the turbo apart, before it goes out to customers.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

From the very start Majin starts with the innuendo of retaliation by talking about his website and turned it up a notch with this statement.

"I will also keep my experience off the forum since you are willing to go the extra mile for me."

Not a good way to get what you want when dealing with an honest person IMHO.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the guy wanted $2600!!!! when the warranty clearly states they will only replace the failed turbo if they can't tell if it was a defect in manufacture.

holy extorsion batman.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Originally Posted by kim.ry
Maybe FP doesnt like Suby as much as Evos?
I know I don't
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:49 AM
Former Sponsor

I took the guy as extorting me from the beginning. Left a foul taste in my mouth right off the bat. "send me a check and I will keep this off the boards" basically. That is just not how I do things. He says, he consulted his attorney during this, but I don't think he was asking his attorney the right questions.

No, I am not planning on posting on IWSTI, there is way too much blood in the water over there, and it doesnt look like anyone is even reading the correspondence between uber mod and myself anyway. The emails show us trying to replace his product for him.

Bottom line is we offered to replace his damaged product, but not cut him a check for $2600 or whatever ridiculous amount he was after. He didn't want that. He wanted his pound of flesh, and I guess this is how he is going about getting it.

Boost on!

Robert Young
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Yo not for nothing but when you mod your car outside of stock guess what these things can and will happen. The day you put a intake or exhaust on a perfectly running stock car you run the risk of breaking something. I bet you this guy is like 19 or 20 some spoiled SOB who needs to be smacked for even suggesting he be paid 2600. Heh Rob maybe you should consult a attorney I'm pretty sure extortion
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:21 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Robert, thanks for your honest post. I agree with what you said and your stance on the whole thing, and the fact that he even posted it all and still expects the money is just plain silly.

Oh oh, I have an email address on the internet. Robert, if you do not send me 1 free FP RED I will email everyone I know on the internet and tell them about how you did not send me 1 free FP RED!!! I await your answer!

Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Robert do us a favor stop building turbo's for the Subbie. Those cars suck *** anyway. That fact that this guy thinks your going to refund him for 2 turbos and a oil feed or return(whatever) you as a vendor have a warrenty that is pretty straight forward repair or replacement I have never heard of either vendor, tuner, or shop refunding money. I got a new tranny once for my DSM but the shop I took it to to have the clutch change the tranny dropped off the jack. they called me at work and told me right away and told me I was getting a new tranny.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So basically, something foreign damaged the original 20g he had on the car, but he wanted cash for it. The FP Green was damaged by a flaw in the turbo, FP agrees to replace it free of charge, yet he wants cash.

You don't get cash at the dealership for something that is covered under warranty and you certainly don't get covered under warranty for something that isn't the manufacturer's fault.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

I reread the original posts and I'm going to revise my stance on this issue. I had originally leaned towards the customer in this issue, but I am going to flip flop like a dirty politician.

It's clear to see the first turbo failed because something went through the fins. The explanation by Forced Performance seems spot on. What else can do that to a blade? It could happen from a multitude of things that pass through the engine. Bad luck, game over, can happen any time.

The second turbo FP said they would rebuild/replace, which it seems like they tried to do, but this guy just wants money for his time, taxes, towing, etc...

I guess he doesn't understand the risk you take when you mod your car and want it to perform like the Porsche's, etc, he was hanging out with over the weekend. He is all dickhurt because his STi dropped a turbo, but when he actually gets a warranty repair order he wants more. That is a bit unreasonable.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

I don't even think it's really any flaw in FP turbos but he basically said remove the filter from the oil feed line cause it reduces the oil pressure just change your oil regulary ahole

Turns out that there is an oil filter screen built into the factory oil feed banjo bolt at the cylinder head, and Subaru wants it either serviced regularly or removed completely in order to avoid turbocharger oil starvation and failure.

Oh well like Dave Chappelle said "Tuff break Nugga"(I'm black I can say it ha!)

Last edited by DBallz; Jul 31, 2008 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Subaru FP green reliability