Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FMIC testing with the speedy AEM air temp sensor.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2008, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
You come off as the big engineer all the time.
The problem is he's not even an Engineer. He's a STUDENT taking engineering classes. Wow, you take a few thermodynamics, machine design, mechanics and vibrations classes and you are all of the sudden an Engineer.

Get real kid.....95% of what you are learning in your engineering classes you will forget in your first year of being in the real world. Some of the smartest people I know and work with don't even have a degree or ever opened one of those books you have.....they have EXPERIENCE. Which is worth 10 times more than your formulas and equations.

So please grow up and see the simplicity of the test for what it is.

He blew on the sensor and the temperature increased 20 degrees in 4 seconds, a temperature increase of 5*F per second.

He then did a run on the dyno and temperature increased 9 degrees in 9 seconds, a temperature increase of 1*F per second.....much less than the 5*F per second shown in the test above.

So not only did he proved that the reaction time of the sensor is much quicker than the temperature increase the sensor sees in the IC pipe, he also proved that his IC is very efficient.

There is no need for thermocouples, supercomputers, 1000Hz datalogging rates or any other testing equipment as his simple test proved the sensor reacts quick enough for the purposes we use it for. You don't even have to be an engineer to understand what this test proves.

Sincerely,
A REAL Mechanical Engineer
Univ. of Toledo, 2003
5 years in the REAL world

P.S. You can call me a nuthugger all you want because David and I are friends. I don't really care. But on this particular subject, you are flat out wrong.

Last edited by SloRice; Aug 1, 2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 07:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I'll do something for the both of us David. I have now added you to my ignore list.
That right there sir , is the best contribution you have given to the EvoM community.. Thank you so very much!!!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SloRice
The problem is he's not even an Engineer. He's a STUDENT taking engineering classes. Wow, you take a few thermodynamics, machine design, mechanics and vibrations classes and you are all of the sudden an Engineer.

Get real kid.....95% of what you are learning in your engineering classes you will forget in your first year of being in the real world. Some of the smartest people I know and work with don't even have a degree or ever opened one of those books you have.....they have EXPERIENCE. Which is worth 10 times more than your formulas and equations.

So please grow up and see the simplicity of the test for what it is.

He blew on the sensor and the temperature increased 20 degrees in 4 seconds, a temperature increase of 5*F per second.

He then did a run on the dyno and temperature increased 9 degrees in 9 seconds, a temperature increase of 1*F per second.....much less than the 5*F per second shown in the test above.

So not only did he proved that the reaction time of the sensor is much quicker than the temperature increase the sensor sees in the IC pipe, he also proved that his IC is very efficient.

There is no need for thermocouples, supercomputers, 1000Hz datalogging rates or any other testing equipment as his simple test proved the sensor reacts quick enough for the purposes we use it for. You don't even have to be an engineer to understand what this test proves.

Sincerely,
A REAL Mechanical Engineer
Univ. of Toledo, 2003
5 years in the REAL world

P.S. You can call me a nuthugger all you want because David and I are friends. I don't really care. But on this particular subject, you are flat out wrong.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

hmmm. I need that 24whp to reach my 500whp+ on Pump!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 11:07 AM

I would still like to see baffles/dividers in the end tanks. But that's just me.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

David, you forgot to fart on the sensor and test the reaction time. Every Engineer does this test.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 03:43 PM

40 whp + on Buschur FMIC Way too go !!!!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

So if I'm reading this correctly, you prefer NOT to use the AEM IAT instead using the GM IAT sensor?

-E
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The AIT we use we order from AEM, I believe the GM sensor and AEM are the same.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:37 PM
Account Disabled

I recently conducted a testing of two fmic's on the same car, same tune, same day

It was a true A - B test of two fmic's using AEM and a AEM air temp sensor to log the changes (if any) in air temps between the two fmic's

It was interesting to see how quickly the AEM air intake sensor reacts

I made a video of the testing and you can observe the AEM parameters window and the air temp figure as we are doing the pulls

We did 3 pulls back to back with "brand X" fmic - giant core racing version and saw a peak air temp of 165 degrees

On the same car shortly thereafter 133 degrees was the peak we saw on the Buschur unit after 3 pulls

Just adding the Buschur fmic - which was actually smaller than the gargantuan "brand X" unit added approx 15 - 18 whp and made the car spool up faster

After tuning the car picked up just about 30 whp - making 651 whp on pump gas and meth

The AEM intake sensor may not be a labratory instrument but I feel it is very useful and reliable for tuning and testing purposes

This is the video for those interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUk9A0soWhY
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
It is interesting to see how fast the AIT's climb on the screen.

Thanks for doing the testing Al, thanks for giving our FMIC a shot Suman.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:13 PM
Account Disabled

good test AL very informative and pretty shocking that the bigger FMIC couldn't hang with the BR Race FMIC
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:50 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Mellon
good test AL very informative and pretty shocking that the bigger FMIC couldn't hang with the BR Race FMIC
In that test, we attempted to mainatin an open mind and conduct a fair and unbiased comparision

As you can see in the video, the customer who is a very smart and involved Evo owner, was there watching every move and making sure that the testing was conducted in a very consistant manner

An educated consumer is the best customer in all cases

The best part was hearing back from the customer later in the day and hearing that the difference was significant enough to effect the way the car feels and pulls, especially on the top end

It is hard to beat the genuine Garret fmic cores and the technology and process that goes into making them. The is a reason why the top Evo tuners and shops all use fmic's with genuine Garret cores

Hopefully my effort in testing will open the eyes of some customers who automatically assume that bigger is better

The internal design and construction of the fmic extrusion is a critical aspect of how well it will dispate heat

The air is always flowing through the fmic at a rapid pace it is very amazing just how well those fmic cores can cool the charge temps give the fast movement of air through the core

Air denisty is perhaps the most overlooked aspect of forced induction performance
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:56 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
It is interesting to see how fast the AIT's climb on the screen.

Thanks for doing the testing Al, thanks for giving our FMIC a shot Suman.
It was interesting to focus on the AEM value and realize that it is a very quick acting sensor

This is really a fascinating business and the more time I spend tuning cars the more interesting it becomes

The biggest two lessons I have learned were #1 not to waste time trying to disprove what Buschur has said (total waste of time - we tried this once years ago withe Co2 fmic sprayers) and #2 make one change at a time

By making one small change at a time and noting the gains or losses tremendous progress can be made

Al
Old Aug 8, 2008, 07:07 AM
Account Disabled

I agree, I sent a customer to buschur yesterday and told him simply "david will take good care of ya" ... I know david isn't going to sell him a thing he doesn't need. My customer e-mailed me back with the list of items David suggested for his build and it was absolutely perfect for his goals so he'll be very happy when his car is done.

Quick Reply: FMIC testing with the speedy AEM air temp sensor.