Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FMIC testing with the speedy AEM air temp sensor.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks Al and Mellon.

Too bad you aren't coming up this year to the shootout Mellon, I was looking forward to meeting you. You should just catch a ride and come up.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I might shoot down Dave. Would liike to see a bunch of narly evos doing there thing.

S
Old Aug 8, 2008, 08:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's awfully tempting David...wish you weren't 11 hours away.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon
it's awfully tempting David...wish you weren't 11 hours away.
wa wa wa! This is the event of the year! People are coming from way over 11 hours away! Its going to be crazy this year!!!
Old Aug 8, 2008, 08:48 AM
Account Disabled

yeah I made a post on my forum to see if there's some interest...who knows maybe my wife will come along, her sister lives in ohio and they would love to see each other more often. We have a familiy vacation coming up soon and I'm not sure if it's that weekend or not (I don't do the planning, I just show up and hand over my wallet)

http://www.racevideoforums.com/forum...th-2008-a.html
Old Aug 8, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Like 18 maybe.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2.3 Evo 8
David, you forgot to fart on the sensor and test the reaction time. Every Engineer does this test.
This quote made my day. Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2008, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Great, and when it's all said and done you know what you are going to learn?

That the air temp sensor is plenty fast enough to log an increase in air temp during a dyno or street pull to show how well and intercooler works. Which in case that is too simple for you, that means you will learn what I just posted.......

After giving his considerable thought I think you bought the wrong car 03white, you should have bought a Dolorean and made that sucker into a time traveling machine!

Even though I don't agree with David's bashing (probably still well deserved out of disrespect), 03white you need to understand what he is actually trying to prove. I admire your approach to take your 12ounces of engineering knowledge with heat transfer and CFD to find the most scienctific method possible to determine temperature sensing rate of the sensor, but honestly David is right. What are you going to prove?????

He is only trying to show that the sensor is adaquite for IAT. Sure I understand the heat transfer differences of using brake clean insted of an atmosphere medium, but the point IMO is to show that the sensor actually reacts respectively, and your only pointing out ONE method that was not comparing apples to apples which he did not state it to be. Conduction from his hand is just nonsense through the housing of the sensor, remember where the sensing element is, conduction is going to be so minimal it is negligable. Even your TC's to 0.01 degree of accruacy would tell you that.

I hope my point is made by now, the problem with undergrad engineering students is alot of information is still fresh in their minds. Alot of undergrad students feel they know everything! If you ever made it towards Ph.D. you would realize how little you DO know.

Take SloRice's advice, schooling has only prepaired you with the tools to take them to the REAL world of engineering. There you'll understand the differences from schooling book problems to REAL work engineering problems and how they're solved.
Just to understand I'm not talking out of my *** I have earned both Mechanical BS degree and Aerospace BS degree
Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:13 PM
Account Disabled

sometimes common sense > Degree
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Very fair informative testing Al results are insane killer *** cores Dave DAMN
Old Aug 9, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon
sometimes common sense > Degree
Sometimes... unfortunately you can't teach common sense, I think thats the advantage
Old Aug 10, 2008, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You guys make me laugh a little. I know the difference between practical and experimental. My only gripe is that a lot of people around here try to say they are doing scientific based experiments and they are not. They are verifying practical use with rough tests to show basic principle. Expose a thermocouple to a heat source, it shows a gain in temperature. Big surprise. But there is a big difference between a scientific experiment and these types of tests and I'm just trying to point out the differences.

As for my knowledge. Some of you may want to get a better understanding of my experience before passing judgment. I have 8 years of professional field experience in various scientific fields and I'm only 26. I would say for my age, I'm fairly well experienced in the real world as I've had a career, lived on my own, and paid for school on my own since I was 18. These fields I have experience in include: component level electronics repair, industrial power systems, Metrology and scientific testing, quality control, process engineering, and mechanical engineering. I have a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering. A 2 year technical certification in electronics along with half of an Electrical Engineering degree that I finished before I decided computer programing doesn't really fit my interests. I was a 1 hour lab away from a minor in quantum physics but didn't finish simply because I learned what I wanted to know and could care less about having a minor in something I'll never use, I just liked quantum mechanics because I found it very interesting. I am currently a graduate student in precision mechanical design with an adviser that is the quintessence of German engineering in what he expects from a design quality perspective. Maybe this is why I make such a deal out of these types of things? I'm held to that level, so I guess I expect others to reach that level as well? I'll likely pursue a PhD in the long run as well, because honestly, the pursuit of knowledge keeps me very interested in school. I like to learn, it's as simple as that. But I'm really not a textbook learner, I'm a visual/hands on learner. 90% of what I have actually learned, has come from experience. The formulas I know just put what I have learned from experience into quantifiable values. I use school knowledge to simply solidify my experiences into something that can be put in a spreadsheet and kick out a rough estimate of what should happen before I try it out. But I'm VERY well aware of that fact that engineering is a rough order of magnitude approach to problem solving and nothing can be solved with any absolute certainty.

So, while a few of you have tried to attack my experience and knowledge, I just have to laugh, because I have a little myself; more actually then a few on here have that have attacked me. I fully understand the difference between paper and the real world. All I'm trying to do is show the difference on this board to hopefully encourage the pursuit of knowledge in others. I do get a little over ambitious in my responses. And some times my posts do come across as very disrespectful because I'm a little too be blunt and I am known to force my ideas upon others.

Nobody is perfect...
And I certainly don't try to be. </rant>

In seriousness, I was an a**hole to David on this thread. I'll own up to that and I apologize to David for being an a**hole.

And yes, like I said, I'm 26, I'm still wet behind the ears, young and dumb. But I'm not an idiot like some of you want to try and proclaim.
Thanks
Buh bye

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Aug 10, 2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
You guys make me laugh a little. I know the difference between practical and experimental. My only gripe is that a lot of people around here try to say they are doing scientific based experiments and they are not. They are verifying practical use with rough tests to show basic principle. Expose a thermocouple to a heat source, it shows a gain in temperature. Big surprise. But there is a big difference between a scientific experiment and these types of tests and I'm just trying to point out the differences.

As for my knowledge. Some of you may want to get a better understanding of my experience before passing judgment. I have 8 years of professional field experience in various scientific fields and I'm only 26. I would say for my age, I'm fairly well experienced in the real world as I've had a career, lived on my own, and paid for school on my own since I was 18. These fields I have experience in include: component level electronics repair, industrial power systems, Metrology and scientific testing, quality control, process engineering, and mechanical engineering. I have a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering. A 2 year technical certification in electronics along with half of an Electrical Engineering degree that I finished before I decided computer programing doesn't really fit my interests. I was a 1 hour lab away from a minor in quantum physics but didn't finish simply because I learned what I wanted to know and could care less about having a minor in something I'll never use, I just liked quantum mechanics because I found it very interesting. I am currently a graduate student in precision mechanical design with an adviser that is the quintessence of German engineering in what he expects from a design quality perspective. Maybe this is why I make such a deal out of these types of things? I'm held to that level, so I guess I expect others to reach that level as well? I'll likely pursue a PhD in the long run as well, because honestly, the pursuit of knowledge keeps me very interested in school. I like to learn, it's as simple as that. But I'm really not a textbook learner, I'm a visual/hands on learner. 90% of what I have actually learned, has come from experience. The formulas I know just put what I have learned from experience into quantifiable values. I use school knowledge to simply solidify my experiences into something that can be put in a spreadsheet and kick out a rough estimate of what should happen before I try it out. But I'm VERY well aware of that fact that engineering is a rough order of magnitude approach to problem solving and nothing can be solved with any absolute certainty.

So, while a few of you have tried to attack my experience and knowledge, I just have to laugh, because I have a little myself; more actually then a few on here have that have attacked me. I fully understand the difference between paper and the real world. All I'm trying to do is show the difference on this board to hopefully encourage the pursuit of knowledge in others. I do get a little over ambitious in my responses. And some times my posts do come across as very disrespectful because I'm a little too be blunt and I am known to force my ideas upon others.

Nobody is perfect...
And I certainly don't try to be. </rant>

In seriousness, I was an a**hole to David on this thread. I'll own up to that and I apologize to David for being an a**hole.

And yes, like I said, I'm 26, I'm still wet behind the ears, young and dumb. But I'm not an idiot like some of you want to try and proclaim.
Thanks
Buh bye
I can certainly respect that, not just anyone would give in and admit it