Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP WHITE................................FTW!(dyno inside)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon

I think the gains are great, but I think it can be confusing to some who don't realize that IX turbos react similarly.

I have to agree with you 100% on this one.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the White really only $750...$300 more than a used IX? If so, then that's not so bad, since it's new.

Originally Posted by Liqquid
first of all, I wanted a NEW turbo, not used...and the White is only a couple hundred bucks more than the 9 turbo new.
Warr, I know you must have missed that part, if you have good luck buying used parts, good for you, for me, and others... buying used parts is buying used problems, I'm not trying to be an ***, but it never fails that whenever I buy a part used, something goes wrong with it even if it looked perfect when I bought it!

I'd simply rather start with a new turbo, and the White is not that much more than a NEW evo 9 turbo.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure I call 280 cams, cam gears, and a race FMIC to be VERY mild or even just...mild. Notice how late the spool is even on the stock turbo compared to most. Hell, that's as late as us up at sea level. I don't know how the cam gears are set, but 280s are definitely built more for top-end.

Big front mount and 280's are not the best for spool, yet this turbo makes it react very very quickly. I even have stock upper pipe which looks like it wants to jump out of the car when it spools up

The comp cams are ground on advanced lobe centers when compared to HKS and others, so therefore my gears are -3, -3 now, and during all testing. I wanted this to be a fair comparison, and it is.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Those results are impressive, but I can't help but remember the fact that Switzer got 440 whp out of the original white rabbit VIII turbo on this dyno -- on stock evo8 cams no less.
He still talks about that to this day, I think it's one of his favorite accomplishments!

As far as the dyno's numbers go, I trapped 116.4 last year at the Buschur Evo/WRX shootout, making 377whp and 409wtq, same dyno.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Liqquid
Warr, I know you must have missed that part, if you have good luck buying used parts, good for you, for me, and others... buying used parts is buying used problems, I'm not trying to be an ***, but it never fails that whenever I buy a part used, something goes wrong with it even if it looked perfect when I bought it!

I'd simply rather start with a new turbo, and the White is not that much more than a NEW evo 9 turbo.
I have to agree with Liqquid on this one. I've looked at 2 used IX turbos myself and both had excessive end play. When I saw the price of a brand new IX turbo, I figured that for a little more I could have a brand new White turbo. The cool thing is that if I want to crank the boost up on the White it looks like it's a real performer. I know it doesn't compare to the Green or Red turbos, but on the other hand I'm not asking it to. It seems to be doing as it was advertised to do.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

I guess warr has a point with the race fmic and comp 280's not being too "nild" but he still has the stock intake and stock uicp. OP what manifold? I didn't catch that.

I got a decent used IX turbo, but it seems like it might have a bit of shaft play. a rebuild is what....400? A white conversion is 600, so if you're converting its not a bad price.

Hey warr, if I end up getting a white we should throw it on your car real quick lol that'll give us a great comparison of what a very we'll set up but not full blown car with a great driver can do
Old Aug 2, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoPirate
I guess warr has a point with the race fmic and comp 280's not being too "nild" but he still has the stock intake and stock uicp. OP what manifold? I didn't catch that.

stock intake mani, stock TB, stock exhaust mani... no porting yet.

Thanks for all the questions and comments, keep 'em coming! I'll check back later, but right now I'm going to go out and drive this thing!!!
Old Aug 2, 2008, 08:52 AM

good no# liqquid as long your happy with ride bro' thats all it matter.i want the number u got on my evo
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

DaveK made some really good numbers with mostly stock parts as well (i think) I know he has E85 and AEM, but I think his IM/TB are stock as well as his cams. Something like 398whp.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoPirate
DaveK made some really good numbers with mostly stock parts as well (i think) I know he has E85 and AEM, but I think his IM/TB are stock as well as his cams. Something like 398whp.
Correct. I picked up 13whp and 8ft/lbs, both at the same boost level, and after AFR adjustments. My dyno sessions were about a month apart, so direct comparison is impossible. Temps were higher for the tune on the FP white. The only change other than the turbo was a PPI extreme port exhaust manifold.

I was a bit bummed by the gains at first, but again, the dyno doesn't tell all. When I was talking with Robert about turbo upgrade options, one of the things he stressed was that this turbo would spool like the stock IX, but would have more room to flow up top.

I race the car at high altitude, like 9,000+ feet. My second race in Victor, Colorado had a startline around 9,000 feet. In Denver we had been tuned for ~26psi. With no changes to the Hallman MBC, we were spiking to 21psi, and instantly falling to 15psi. We had hit the flow limits of the stocker. After some downward adjustment to the MBC, I was able to get it to spike to 20psi, and it would fall back to 18psi, then taper as the revs climbed.

Just before PPIHC, the FP White was installed & tuned, again for 26psi with the high pressure WGA. When we showed up at PPIHC on our first practice day, the car was hitting 20psi with almost no taper. I didn't try to see if we could get more out of it, b/c we wanted the car to be dead nutz reliable. It was. Being able to run an extra couple of PSI, not overheat the intake, & winning the Time Attack AWD class...priceless!

Dave
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks to all the guys sharing their results. It is good to see people sharing information in a constructive manner.

Liqquid - nice power, especially in 100F heat kudos!

DaveK - I am glad you enjotyed the benifits of the lower compressor outlet temps during your Pikes Peak hill climb event, these are exactly the type applications where this turbo will help a car out.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ForcedPerformance
Thanks to all the guys sharing their results. It is good to see people sharing information in a constructive manner.

Liqquid - nice power, especially in 100F heat kudos!

DaveK - I am glad you enjotyed the benifits of the lower compressor outlet temps during your Pikes Peak hill climb event, these are exactly the type applications where this turbo will help a car out.

I agree...its a shame far too many get wrapped up in dyno numbers... There is much more to the equation. If I see one more person try to compare the white to the red...I think I will puke. Please understand the target differences....I am a big supporter of the white based on my results and expect many more to come forward with similar results and levels of satisfaction as time goes on. Great job on this turbo Robert
Old Aug 3, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Update,

I noticed something last night, I probably would have noticed it on the drive home from Switzer Performance, but had been a long day, and took 3 energy drinks all 4 windows down to keep me from falling asleep

Ever since installing a Forge DV months ago, the car had this "hiccup" or "bucking" on the highway at cruising speeds of 70 to 85, if you tipped in the throttle and let off, the car would buck and jerk all over the place, this is with the red spring. I basically learned to drive around it and got used to it.

Well, last night I went for a 40 mile round trip on the highway, it's gone! Nothing was done to the DV source, or spring or installation, so I can only attribute it to the turbo..

Now, if I get on the gas in 5th at say, 75 and let off, I just hear the DV let off the pressure and that's it, no more car jerking all over!

Last edited by Liqquid; Aug 3, 2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Double bonus!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

The curve shows no spool increase, so it's hard to listen to the butt dyno chatter regarding response. I'm sure it feels great, but the graphs show the spool.

Hmmm.... you can clearly see the red torque line (FPWhite) turn up and climb faster than the blue torque line (Evo8), even if the runs were started at exactly the same rpm the white gets to peak power faster.... that's the whole point of the HTA wheel used in the White, and what helps the on/off throttle response

Quick Reply: FP WHITE................................FTW!(dyno inside)