Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 Aem Intake Installed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2003, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use a 10mm and a 12 mm wrentches to get em off easily!

Last edited by Deceit; Dec 18, 2003 at 07:09 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 05:50 PM

A properly shielded open intake will not "bake". Please do us a favor and run the car for a while in the daytime and then pop the hood and touch the filter. If the filter is cool to the touch...then it's definitely being shielded properly.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 06:36 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally posted by evo8urlunch
A properly shielded open intake will not "bake". Please do us a favor and run the car for a while in the daytime and then pop the hood and touch the filter. If the filter is cool to the touch...then it's definitely being shielded properly.
That's not an exact science in the least. You think a K&N element is going to get hot if its only filtering hot air? Of course it isn't.

The only honest way to find out is to physically measure the air intake temperature at the MAF. Only then could you deduce that your shielding is adequate or colder than the stock airbox encasing. On a hot day, its going to be really tricky to get cooler than the stock box at the MAF with an underhood WAI, no matter how well its shielded (unless it is sealed).
Old Sep 17, 2003, 07:07 PM

Noize, you're not getting it!
I think it's been decided that the open cone filter will indeed draw more air than the stock air box, right! Don't tell me that you've gotta measure the fricken air temp to know for sure if the shielded cone works better than the stock airbox.
Have you ever felt an unshielded cone filter in the engine bay? It will burn you!!! However, if you shield it PROPERLY, the intake will absolutely be cool to the touch...much cooler than anything else you can touch in your engine bay! Now, how can that possibly be worse than the stock airbox? Are you suggesting that the airbox acts as a refrigerator...somehow cooling the air down moreso than the ambient air temp and more than a properly shielded open cone filter??? All I can say is I'd like to see you prove it!
The concern was the hot air from the headers/engine. If the intake is cool to the touch...then it's gonna be better than the stock air box...if indeed the cone will draw in more air than the stock airbox. Get it?
My personal experience is with the e36m3. I was a club racer. It was proven on the dyno without a fan placed at the open cone filter to be effective in adding bhp's over the stock airbox. I also ran a ram air type effect while club racing to force air into the bay where the filter was located and actually found myself leaning the car out a bit too much. So, on the e36m3, a properly shielded cone filter absolutely make more power!
Old Sep 17, 2003, 07:39 PM
Account Disabled

You gusy forget one inportant thingy. Look at the front of your car, see all those hole thingys? Yeah those are ducts, air actually gets to your engine at 60+ MPH and blows in from the bottom, and then pout through that other hole thingy in the hood (A VENT!!?!?!?!?) You get VERY cool air running trhough everything, especially the intake, as long as your are moving when you are driving anyways, if you drive and are not moving, then you get hot air (DYNO)
Old Sep 18, 2003, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by umiami80
You gusy forget one inportant thingy. Look at the front of your car, see all those hole thingys? Yeah those are ducts, air actually gets to your engine at 60+ MPH and blows in from the bottom, and then pout through that other hole thingy in the hood (A VENT!!?!?!?!?) You get VERY cool air running trhough everything, especially the intake, as long as your are moving when you are driving anyways, if you drive and are not moving, then you get hot air (DYNO)
Hey umiami80...unbelievable win against Florida a couple of weeks ago. We go to the Swamp this weekend. While I'm not Alumni of TN...it's hard living here and not pulling for them! Sure hope the Vols have got it together after a week off!

Concerning the intake...I've not gotten into this intake at all. I would hope that the tuners are making a shielded open filter system to be installed EXACTLY where the stock system currently rests! Again, if all else is equal, the open cone system with a PROPERLY SHIELDED CONE FILTER, should increase air flow and bhp's.
Can anyone chime in with where the shielded systems are being placed in relation to the stock airbox???
Old Sep 18, 2003, 09:07 PM
Account Disabled

C...........A............N...........E............ ..S.......

CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 16, 2003, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

anyone else have this intake? how is the performance
Old Dec 16, 2003, 03:57 PM

dont have this one, but I have the Kn Typhoon it rocks, looks the best also with its carbon fiber finish.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Intake

Well if you go to the K&N website they have a short ram that give 14 WHP gain
Old Dec 16, 2003, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

i heard that it modifies your A/F ratio or somethin and i don't want it to do that, thats what the AFC is for...i think im gonna get the RMR or buschur cone filter after i get my exhaust because i used to have the RMR but sold it because my car lost power; i hear that the the exhaust is complimentary to the filter because it frees backpressure or somethin
Old Dec 18, 2003, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Buschur Racing MAF Pipe. 3" diameter. I have to go with Buschur. Can't stop now.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Coolguy949

I've never seen a cold air intake for any turbo car. Usually they're just a "short ram" filter.
I have one on my Grand National. It's a K&N 9" cone with a 4" opening that is routed just behind the front bumper. Completely away from the engine compartment.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by StreetPowerEvo

Man that cone filter looks like its been beat to hell, dented, maybe even burned?
The AEM is a BIG filter and very hard to fit under the hood. What you see is where it rubs on the hood. When I had mine installed they dented it themselves to prevent the rubbing. Personally I think their solution was worse than the problem. Now I have a big *** dent in my filter, and it looks like ca-ca.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

WOW! It's like stepping into a hornets nest up in here. But performance wise I can tell you from my own experience, there was a noticeable difference when driving after installing the AEM. It did pull harder. The sound is incredible when that turbo is spooling.

I think some of you guys get too technical and wrapped around the horns about who's right/who's wrong... who cares? I mean it's okay to discuss your opinions, we all do, but at some point you should just AGREE to disagree and leave it at that.

Last edited by WILDMAN; Dec 18, 2003 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 Aem Intake Installed