Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo Crankwalk - Pics

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told that it leaves the car more prone to crank walk, or it did in the 2G DSM's.

Unfortunately I am not certain of the validity of that statement and I would like to know. I posted the very same question on the other thread regarding the push style conversion for the exedy twin.

Can someone enlighten me?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by djtmotorsports
You haven't listened close enough! I've seen a handful of B- series Hondas with crankwalk. Twin & Triple disc clutches will do that to the thrust washers.
Hell, even my old 4Runner V6 wasted a set of thrust washers! And that was an automatic.

It can happen to any engine, at any time, for any reason!

Darin

you serious?
i've met a very well known honda guru who's built 500-600-700-800 whp hondas with stock cranks thrust washers crankshaft bearings and the crankwalk has never happened and he says it's not an issue in our cars.

look up crankwalk on honda-tech.com in the archives and you get 6 results- only one related to a honda.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor

I have a customer with a ix that has about an 1/8 of an inch of play in his crank as well. I noticed it when installing his exeddy twin hd. The car only has 16k miles on it. We recently put a 3076 on it and it made about the same power as the op's car. This is a stock engine and had a act clutch when I discovered the play. It does not at this point stall out or anything but it still concerned me and I immediately informed the customer. I hope we don't have a revisit to the old days of 2g crankwalk with evo ix's !!!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Same goes for sr20s.
Spun bearings, yes. Crankwalk no.

<-- owns 2 SR20 vehicles.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

How many broken/cracked bellhousings in FWD SR20s?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 05:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Ive never experienced crankwalk on an evo .. in all my years. But i can offer some info for you .

If the crank was cut .. ( and i've seen this before ) .. the person who cut it .. doesnt cut it straight or touches on the thrust surface when they cut the journals. Im not sure if you have a undersized crank or not.. But thats why i never use cut cranks for that reason alone.

Nobody is perfect and it doesnt take alot to make that mistake... If it was cut that is what i would look at as your problem. Tough thing is ....unless you have the proper equipment its hard to check for that. We have a jig setup in a lathe .. to check for bent cranks and run outs on thrust surfaces...

If you have a thrust surface .. or crank that is in your car .. and the thrust surface isnt square with the motor .. it will wear over time. Hope this helps you ..

mark
turbotrix
Old Aug 4, 2008, 05:44 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Johnboy1065
would converting your clutch to a push type even cause crank walk???
you can overthrow the hyd. release bearing and place force on the crank. this causes wear on the thrust washers.
this is one of the reasons a pedal stop is required on the hydro release bearing setups.
HTH
Old Aug 4, 2008, 06:22 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ericw
Spun bearings, yes. Crankwalk no.

<-- owns 2 SR20 vehicles.
haha true. At least you can fix a spun bearing.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MR Turco
haha true. At least you can fix a spun bearing.
spun bearings can result in blown blocks too.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spun a bearing on my old '90 Crx, that D16 was toasted! cracked the block when the rod-end decided to fall off. Amazing enough, it made it a few more miles to get me parked at college. Then i came back it was siezed, Heh, big suprise there. So i got a B16a, had fun with that, but now im a little faster.

Sorry..
Old Aug 4, 2008, 09:51 PM

wow that sucks
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although it's not common with the Evolution 7-9, crankwalk was an issue with the Evolution as well. I'm pretty sure it affected the Evolution IV and V models. It obviously affected the 2g DSM as well, specificly the 95-96 cars. They later went to a revised thrust bearing design, but that does not completely solve the problem.

As far as cutting cranks goes, just another reason why NOT to do it. Cutting the crank removes the nitride coating, not to mention removing material compromises the crank's strength and durability.

I am interested in seeing pictures of the bottom end tore down, specificly pictures of the main and thrust bearings themselves, along with pictures of the crank journals.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

OMG 1 evo with crank walk the sky is falling!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PeakBoost
you can overthrow the hyd. release bearing and place force on the crank. this causes wear on the thrust washers.
this is one of the reasons a pedal stop is required on the hydro release bearing setups.
HTH
ya think the quartermaster clutch with the hydrolic Throw out bearing would cause crankwalk....thats what I just ordered Also what do you mean a pedal stop??? A pedal stopper right below the clutch pedal???
Old Aug 11, 2008, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to clear the air here the car is at our shop but this is not an AMS built bottom end. It was built by another shop and afterwards brought to us for some more work...like head, turbo kit, etc.

I don't want to name the shop because I don't feel that the shop that built the motor is at fault at this point. Too many times people just see a name and place fault without looking into it, it has even happened on a small scale in thread with us. So with that being said I don't think its fair to post the name of the shop responsible for the bottom end build....as it might turn into a bash fest for no reason at all.

Oh, and just because Mark at Turbotrix brought it up we have never and will never use cut cranks....again though this is not our motor.

Eric

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; Aug 11, 2008 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo Crankwalk - Pics