Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

power problems on evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power problems on evo 8

i have run into a problem with my evo 8. the power has drastically dropped in the car. i have to hit literally like 6krpms in 1st gear to get the car to go 15
and when i go into second same deal ill be about 5.5k rpms and the car is barely doing 25mph and my foot is pegged to the floor and my boost gauge read 19psi

i dont have many mods on the car except exhaust. no engine light is on and i dont know what could be causing such a big power loss. my civic would smoke the crap out of my evo right now.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:31 PM

is the clutch slipping?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:58 AM
Evolving Member

i dont beleive its the clutch but maybe a posibilty my car has hit 65k mark and im the second owner.
would the clutch really make the car drive that slow?
the car finally gains momentum after like 6k rpm
so dunno if the two would relate
it shifts fine though just the car bogs down very much and i reallly have to push it to make the car drive like it did 2 weeks ago
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if you're on 6k rpm and watching the speed increase while the RPM's are staying the same, it could very well be the clutch. Add a funny smell to that and you have yourself an answer without question.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 02:50 AM
Evolving Member

so far no nasty clutch smell but i wouldnt doubt if im still running on the original clutch
Old Aug 7, 2008, 02:52 AM
Evolving Member

if it is the clutch u guys got any recommendations on a good oe style replacement
i dont need a $1k double carbon fancy clutch just something that can hold 350 whp
Old Aug 7, 2008, 04:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbodemon
if it is the clutch u guys got any recommendations on a good oe style replacement
i dont need a $1k double carbon fancy clutch just something that can hold 350 whp
Double carbon starts at 3k$

The most popular vote would be ACT or Exedy.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have a catalytic converter? If so check it, mine melted and caused a dramatic power loss, not as bad as what you are saying though. You may want to have a compression test done as well. If it is the clutch check into act they make a great product.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

If you're using the stock intake, the snorkel may have slipped out of it's place. That will cause a dramatic power loss in higher rpm. I had this when I first got my car, and took me a while to figure out. Check your intake.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Did you forget to put your e-brake down?

I highly doubt this is the clutch that's causing the issue... you'd be smelling a nasty burning smell and you would probably be able to feel it slipping as well if you've had the car for a while..

If the RPMs go straight up like you're in neutral almost but the car doesn't accelerate it could be either A: Clutch or B: Transmission; however, if the RPMs and MPH increase steadily together just at an alarmingly slow rate it could be something clogging your intake causing you not get any air, it probably smells extremely rich too in fuel when you floor it and it doesn't go anywhere. I would maybe even just pay a shop to check everything out for you..

I hope everything works out for you though let us know what it ends up being as I'm pretty curious myself and without being there to look the car over it'd be hard to tell lol.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Your power loss is a bit extreme, but the standards to check when ever you have a power problem, idle problem are:

1. boost leak test and check all intake piping - this will also show if you have an issue with the BOV leaking and if you have any vacume lines off.

2. Spark Plugs- pull them, and check to make sure they look normal. Check the gap, I gap between 22 and 26 on my plugs.

3. Timing - be sure the engine is in time, when the engine is set at topdead center, make sure all the timing marks line up (Crank pully and the two timing gears) At 65k you should be looking to replace your timing belt if it has not been replaced, its rare but possible, your tensioner has gotten weak and the belt jumped time. Also while you have it set at TDC, check the belt tension, it should be firm but you will have some loosness in the belt, (not tight wire tight)

3. Compression check - you are looking for concistantcies across the cylinders, and I think 165 or so off pressure.

It sounds a lot like the clutch we did tuesday night, you would rev it to 6K and the car just starts moving....... so if your RPMs are going up fast but the speed of the car is not, then its most likely the clutch.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my clutch was slipping it didn't really make to much of a smell for some reason.

But when Id step on the gas while driving the RPMS would jump up then fall back down and sync with the wheels.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have run into a problem with my evo 8. the power has drastically dropped in the car. i have to hit literally like 6krpms in 1st gear to get the car to go 15
and when i go into second same deal ill be about 5.5k rpms and the car is barely doing 25mph and my foot is pegged to the floor and my boost gauge read 19psi

i dont have many mods on the car except exhaust. no engine light is on and i dont know what could be causing such a big power loss. my civic would smoke the crap out of my evo right now.

at the rate you're driving now, you'll need an engine soon also. lol. probably clutch or limphome mode. maybe bad tune?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Even my granny with her Toyota Sienna can smoke your Evo I'm sure others probably already said so but try checking around your IC pipes.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

ACT HDSS - almost like stock, but holds more tq.
or ACT XDSS - is what i have. pedal is heavier than stock, but i love the way clutch feels.

Quick Reply: power problems on evo 8