Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car cuts out under full boost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock ECU >>>>>>>> SAFC2

leave the SAFC2 for the cavemen, and the rest of the clueless who don't know about ECUFlash.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well you guys are convincing me here.. I will start looking into this tatrix cable thing. Where do you guys usually buy them at? I'm guessing this isn't something I can find at radioshack or bestbuy is it lol?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:33 AM
Account Disabled

www.tunertools.com or www.tactrix.com
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Will do! I will maybe even be giving you a call when after I get my cams and injectors installed and get a tactrix cable for my laptop. Thanks for the help guys.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:56 AM
Account Disabled

you're welcome and I'm sorry we seem to be bagging on the S-AFC but we're just trying to point you in the best direction for your nice car. I used the S-AFC for years on my TT Stealth and had relatively good success tuning with it but once I discovered the Greddy E-manage Blue that not only had fuel control but timing control as well it was a whole new world and the car was stronger than ever. With the Evo ecuflash will give you direct control over the ecu rather than trying to lie to it with a piggy back, it just makes more sense. The learning curve is a little steeper but it's worth it in the long run and you'll thank us again later
Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Is it kind of a learn as you go thing or are there books, or online links that I can view that'll teach me the basics of tuning and what everything means.. Because I know the SAFC is probably the simplest form of tuning but I don't have a clue what the knocking means or the karman or any of that stuff.. I basically just hand it over to my buddy for him to dick with it.. i mean he could set my car to blow and I would have no idea and that really frustrates me. I want to learn this stuff so I can become a little more independent with my car just so I can always know what's going on.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

i think it has alot to do with your tial bov- as this is a very effective and huge diameter bov and releases pressure extremly quick. When u have that much load on your engine and u spool it up part throttle (spool up very lean), then if u slighty lift up on the throttle thats enough vacuum to throw the tial open and dump all your boost- so just when ur entering open loop in the fuel system and start dumping fuel to compensate for the lean spool up and ur running lots of timing because of the part throttle spool up- your car dumps out all the air the MAF is telling it to expect.
while a custom tune can help this especially if they try to tune your lift off- i think the problem will still be there slightly due to the tial bov
Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thatsMR2u
i think it has alot to do with your tial bov- as this is a very effective and huge diameter bov and releases pressure extremly quick. When u have that much load on your engine and u spool it up part throttle (spool up very lean), then if u slighty lift up on the throttle thats enough vacuum to throw the tial open and dump all your boost- so just when ur entering open loop in the fuel system and start dumping fuel to compensate for the lean spool up and ur running lots of timing because of the part throttle spool up- your car dumps out all the air the MAF is telling it to expect.
while a custom tune can help this especially if they try to tune your lift off- i think the problem will still be there slightly due to the tial bov
In a word - NO.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

along with ur messed up tune, it could also be ur fuel pump if urs is stock.... 23 psi is alot for a stock fuel system
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PVD04
In a word - NO.

Couldn't agree more...

Dude leave the tuning to the pro's. I understand you want to learn but if you don't even know what knock is and or what causes it, you need to leave it to someone who does.

Personally I think you need to change your driving style as well.

Good Luck
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

SAFC has no place on a turbo charged car IMO. I dont care who's done it, when, where, or why. That's a junk solution period. I realize sometimes when nothing else is available junk has to do. If you have to use a piggy back on a turbo car at least use the emanage, as Mellon mentioned it has fuel control without disturbing ignition timing, and it has timing control as well.

For the Evo get ECU Flashed by a good tuner, it's a great solution that is fully tunable and capable of 500+whp. If your planning on 500+. a standalone might be a better solution but 350whp Evo's dont need standalones.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
Couldn't agree more...

Dude leave the tuning to the pro's. I understand you want to learn but if you don't even know what knock is and or what causes it, you need to leave it to someone who does.

Personally I think you need to change your driving style as well.

Good Luck
I never said I was gonna tune my own car.. just want to learn.. Is there something wrong with that? And I think the guy was saying "NO" to the dudes assumption that my tial bov would somehow cause my car to cut out during full boost at a low rpm. It doesn't do it all the time just sometimes so i believe it may be in my tune. And there's nothing wrong with my "driving style" lol, I should be able to accelerate up the on ramp getting on to the highway without my car cutting out like that.. I have driven several evo's before and none of them do what mine does.

My bov is not the issue the reason I have this is because three of my friends have had this exact same type of BOV on their evos with no issues.. I just don't want some ricey greddy, hks or XS bov on my car.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by whitepwr
Will do! I will maybe even be giving you a call when after I get my cams and injectors installed and get a tactrix cable for my laptop. Thanks for the help guys.
Please, please, please just make sure you fix this issue before you further modify your car! You'll be glad you did.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
In a word - NO.
care to elaborate- I’ve driven many cars with tial bovs- and had one myself and no tuning with stock maf can completely alleviate all the problems
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it is a fuel cut, due to that much boost u need to change the boost limits in your Ecu.

i have used a couple SAFCs i hate em....

ECUflash and a cable are inexpensive and amazing!

logging tools are the same.

oh and u should also look into a wideband sensor

Quick Reply: Car cuts out under full boost