Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car cuts out under full boost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car cuts out under full boost

Now it only does it at certain times and I have no idea why my car cuts out but here's just an example.

Heading down the road at oh say 40mph in 4th gear. If I floor it and let it build peak boost of 22-23psi, so I can A. accelerate and B. hear my sweet Tial BOV, the car will hold full boost for a second and then cut out and practically throw me forward. It doesn't do it if im "racing" it and building full boost just if I'm at a lower rpm like under say 4,000rpm and have the pedal to the floor. It's a problem that's really irritating me and I would like to know why. My friend that tunes the car on an SAFC2 was able to make it a little better but we don't really know why the car does it.. Sometimes my service engine soon light comes on and it's an overboost issue code, which is I believe a p234. One of my friends guesses on why this is happening is because I'm running a 3" turboback exhaust off the o2 housing and 22-23psi with a stock intake and stock ic-pipes. Probably trying to suck in more air than I can on all this restrictive **** that's on my car; however, I did put an aftermarket ebay airfilter on the stock plastic intake pipe because the stock intake won't fit anymore with my UICP and tial bov combination.

Well if you guys have any other suggestions or if you've ever experienced this lemme know what you guys had to do to fix the issue.

thanks,
- Tyler Gammon
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
I have tried to help you with this before and it falls on deaf ears. Replace that ebay POS with a better designed filter and get a REAL tune.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Fuel cut. Get rid of the SAFC2 and get a real tune from someone that knows what they're doing.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

oh.. hmm lol well what should I go with aside from SAFC2? I mean I don't really wanna have to spend $1,500 on an AEM system for a car that'll probably never see much more than 400hp..
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
you dont need an AEM system to get a real tune. Contact Mellon, depending on how local you are to him, you could probably get a road tune. Or you can do the mail in route, but anything is better than getting fuel cut.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by whitepwr
oh.. hmm lol well what should I go with aside from SAFC2? I mean I don't really wanna have to spend $1,500 on an AEM system for a car that'll probably never see much more than 400hp..
Get an ECU reflash. There are a ton of vendors on here that offer them. All you need is EvoScan, a laptop and Tactrix cable. Search those if you don't know what they are.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

What's an ECU Reflash I hear about a lot of those...

I like the SAFC just because I can have it tuned constantly for free without spending tons of money on a tune everytime I throw something on my car. I just don't understand how someone can mail me a tune when they've never ridden in my car or felt how it reacts with the parts I have on it.. I figured that was all something that needed to be adjusted as you drive the car. Everyone here in town that has had about the same parts as me with the same guy tuning their SAFC2 have ran like LOW 12's or high 11's. His evo ix with intake, mbc and exhaust went 12.4 its first run at the track. But a guy here in town with a 30r evo 8 could barely beat my buddies stock Ls1 z28 camaro on a mail in tune.. I just have a lack of faith in a tune that I have to pay for or re-do everytime I add another part on my car.. Just wanting to know why you guys feel like a flash or a mail in tune is so much better than doing the same thing on an SAFC2?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

With the SAFC all you can do is adjust the airflow signal to the ECU. It can't make independent fuel and timing changes like an ECU flash can. If you have a laptop all you need to purchase is the Tactrix cable and you'll have access to your tune as often as you'd like. The email tune is done by logging some pulls and sending them to the tuner. The tuner makes adjustments and sends a new tune. You log that tune and send the logs back. For most tuners they'll continue the back and forth until the tune is right. It usually doesn't take many back and forths for the experienced tuners.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your problem is your loading the engine way too much, you should not be flooring it @ 40mph in 4th gear. Your making the turbo do all the work, its gonna spike real high in those conditions, hence why your getting fuel cut and overboost.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:41 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndyBandy
you dont need an AEM system to get a real tune. Contact Mellon, depending on how local you are to him, you could probably get a road tune. Or you can do the mail in route, but anything is better than getting fuel cut.
thanks Andy...

OP, check out www.mellontuning.com for details on the process
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by whitepwr
What's an ECU Reflash I hear about a lot of those... I like the SAFC just because I can have it tuned constantly for free without spending tons of money on a tune everytime I throw something on my car. I just don't understand how someone can mail me a tune when they've never ridden in my car or felt how it reacts with the parts I have on it.. I figured that was all something that needed to be adjusted as you drive the car. Everyone here in town that has had about the same parts as me with the same guy tuning their SAFC2 have ran like LOW 12's or high 11's. His evo ix with intake, mbc and exhaust went 12.4 its first run at the track. But a guy here in town with a 30r evo 8 could barely beat my buddies stock Ls1 z28 camaro on a mail in tune.. I just have a lack of faith in a tune that I have to pay for or re-do everytime I add another part on my car.. Just wanting to know why you guys feel like a flash or a mail in tune is so much better than doing the same thing on an SAFC2?

No you didn't ask this question?
Dude you have a lot to learn about modding your car... I highly suggest using the search function and finding a good tuner in your area.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
[/B]

No you didn't ask this question?
Dude you have a lot to learn about modding your car... I highly suggest using the search function and finding a good tuner in your area.
Oh yes I did girlfriend! lol
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:52 AM
Account Disabled

hahahahah!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

I was gonna chime in and say its def fuel cut because of that SAFC2 your using like said before, it is just modifying the MAF signals if im not mistaken and basically making the ecu think the car is seeing more air etc and compensating for that by adding fuel etc. This is my understanding at least.

so basically you still have your factory boost limit applied which is 22psi, and if that is still applied i doubt that you are running 23psi peak in any condition.

Tactrix cable is under $100 for the original one and the rest of the software is free.
With EcuFlash you can remove those pesky limits and change more parameters than you can ever imagine and you can still have your friend tune your car as often as you need.

I just want to add that i am no expert and these are just my experiences with tuning and if anything i have said is incorrect for somebody with some seniority in the matter chime in and correct. thanks

good luck!

-Ethan
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:22 AM
Account Disabled

^^ dead on and also keep in mind that when you're intercepting an airflow signal from the MAS and molesting it with the S-AFC then sending it to the ECU so it sends more/less fuel you're also unintentionally putting it in a different load column for timing as well...it's a **** poor way to tune a nice car.

Quick Reply: Car cuts out under full boost