Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

To Stroke or Not to Stroke

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2008, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very interesting info
Old Sep 17, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

I spun a bearing at 47K miles. The dealer didn't warranty it. (Bone stock car) It's in the driveway on jack stands and i've been fighting with what i want to do... This article sealed the deal. I'm going 2.3. I don't feel the desire to rev past the stock limit and i would like more torque. I can alwas swap for the old mans s2000 for a day.

Having come to the EVO community from an S3 SRT-4 i really miss the feel of that engine. Flame away
Old Oct 1, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally got around to reading the whole thing, and I think I'll be reading it again a few dozen more times.

The 2.1 does seem to be an excellent choice, except for the fact that one needs a 4G64 block. Does anyone then reuse their original Evo 4G63 crank to build the destroker, or is that a bad idea?
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rob_GPT
I spun a bearing at 47K miles. The dealer didn't warranty it. (Bone stock car) It's in the driveway on jack stands and i've been fighting with what i want to do... This article sealed the deal. I'm going 2.3. I don't feel the desire to rev past the stock limit and i would like more torque. I can alwas swap for the old mans s2000 for a day.

Having come to the EVO community from an S3 SRT-4 i really miss the feel of that engine. Flame away
My stock SRT-4 made more torque than my Evo IX @ 2400 RPMs. I have to rev to 3K and feather the clutch to get across some busy intersections in Vegas.

There's a video (allegedly) of a 2.3L stroker on the stock turbo on youtube; it reminds me of how the SRT-4 used to behave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykmet7Tmnoo
Old Oct 3, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

^ I came from a Srt4 to a S2k to the evo now and man talk about a jerk around on torque. The S had - torque.

I cant open the PDF right now but how awbout for higher milage evos? Is it a good idea to stroker them? I was just curious about making the engine stronger.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by abazaba410
^ I came from a Srt4 to a S2k to the evo now and man talk about a jerk around on torque. The S had - torque.

I cant open the PDF right now but how awbout for higher milage evos? Is it a good idea to stroker them? I was just curious about making the engine stronger.
Why wouldn't it be a good idea? The entire rotating assembly would be replaced with stronger parts...
You should read the PDF
Old Oct 3, 2008, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by abazaba410

I think of the 3 options the stroker is actuially the least "Strong" but that really all depends on what your definition of strong is. I'm still doing the stroker becuase it's PLENTY strong for what I want to do. For what a lot of people who have taken it MUCH farther than i plan to the stroker has been more than strong enough.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

I was just curious. I plan to DD my evo and I have 74k miles on it. I jsut started to mod it (i/e/licp) and im hoping it will last long. I dont have any dreams of 600 whp or anything. I plan to be in the 300s then if i stroker i would like to be 4-500 awhp. So just trying to get some input on the car.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 02:21 PM

I didnt read all the post here but i would love to see a side by side that had the 4G64 2.4L.. I 'm headding that way with a build and would love to see how it would stack up to the others in the paper...
Old Oct 12, 2008, 08:13 PM

seems to me to get top hp numbers you dont stroke,reaso n being you have to get high in the rpm band to get the boost press. high.so mad hp is going to be in the destroked 2.1 or stock/slightly overbored even 2.0.street only drivers will be very satisfied with a 2.3 and say a gt35r spool up fast and rev to 65 or 7 k.great for around town just not a miximum top end hp build.just my thoughts.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoguy69
seems to me to get top hp numbers you dont stroke,reaso n being you have to get high in the rpm band to get the boost press. high.so mad hp is going to be in the destroked 2.1 or stock/slightly overbored even 2.0.street only drivers will be very satisfied with a 2.3 and say a gt35r spool up fast and rev to 65 or 7 k.great for around town just not a miximum top end hp build.just my thoughts.
Are you drunk? My head hurts trying to decipher this code.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

Oh, and steeeeeeeroke it!!!
Old Oct 30, 2008, 02:29 AM
Evolving Member

I haven't finished reading the paper yet, and so far the author makes several interesting points. However I'm interested in his use of the mach number. I'm not sure your numbers are accurate if you only used the calculator on the Wallace Racing site. Adding a few BAR of pressure will pump up the velocity considerably, though your aim may have been only to show the difference in airflow between the 2.0 and 2.3, I don't think it was well enough addressed.

From what I have seen in the V8 world, our heads regularly approach and hit velocities of up to 1100 fps(mach). Some interesting facts first, a 500cid, NHRA Prostock car reaches piston speeds of 100 fps(to my knowledge pistons don't go faster than 100fps anywhere in motorsport) at 10k rpm, a 2.3 hits 92 fps at 8500. So we've got piston speeds approaching that of a prostock car, once you add 30 pounds of boost to the equation I don't see how we could possibly be at only .6 mach, and at some areas of the port, particularly around the valve stem and guide, we should easily be hitting mach.

Not that I know how to calculate the new discharge coefficient with added manifold pressure, but I'm sure someone less lazy than I could figure it out.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 03:18 AM

nice paper...very well written
Old Oct 31, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by icantdrive75
I haven't finished reading the paper yet, and so far the author makes several interesting points. However I'm interested in his use of the mach number. I'm not sure your numbers are accurate if you only used the calculator on the Wallace Racing site. Adding a few BAR of pressure will pump up the velocity considerably, though your aim may have been only to show the difference in airflow between the 2.0 and 2.3, I don't think it was well enough addressed.

From what I have seen in the V8 world, our heads regularly approach and hit velocities of up to 1100 fps(mach). Some interesting facts first, a 500cid, NHRA Prostock car reaches piston speeds of 100 fps(to my knowledge pistons don't go faster than 100fps anywhere in motorsport) at 10k rpm, a 2.3 hits 92 fps at 8500. So we've got piston speeds approaching that of a prostock car, once you add 30 pounds of boost to the equation I don't see how we could possibly be at only .6 mach, and at some areas of the port, particularly around the valve stem and guide, we should easily be hitting mach.

Not that I know how to calculate the new discharge coefficient with added manifold pressure, but I'm sure someone less lazy than I could figure it out.
Very interesting info... We need 9sec9 in here!

Quick Reply: To Stroke or Not to Stroke