Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP RED vs 35R

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am comparing the two of these for purchase at some point... At modest tune these are not THAT far apart. Yes the 35r is a clearly more powerful turbo, but the RED is cheaper, spools faster, and is a bolt on. These cannot be compared in terms of maximum capabilities, but in terms of overall package on moderately modded car, I think this is a fair comparison that I would like to learn more about.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

HTA 3076 = 57lb/min
FP Red = 56lb/min

How is 57 less than 56. There are rumors that it flows more (60lb/min), but it is advertised to flow at 56lb/min
Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PsychDr. HN$
I cant remember exactly where I read it but i thought i saw where the RED flows 60lbs per minute. I cant remember what the 35R flows
if so 60lbs a minute is nothing to sneeze at.
Its natural to compare two turbos that are "next" to eachother on the power scale. There have been threads comparing 50trim vs 30r, 30R vs 35R, 35R vs 37R.
So why not this comparison. The Red flows more than the 30R, right?!?
but the whole point of this is.... look at what kind of platform you are limited to.. ported stock twinscrolll manifold (unless you want to spend 1k on a full race and gain a few extra ponies) vs true equal length tubular manifold .. internal wastegate vs an external wastegate to control boost.. recirculated dump tube (unless u want to go with the unproven stock o2 dump tubes on the market) vs true atmospheric dump tube.. AND the biggest of it all.. you are limited to a TINY hotside on the red, compared to all kinds of options with a 35r..

of course the Red has been proven already to make a TON of power on fully built cars.. with professional drivers running 10's on race gas.. but, it is still never going to be able to outflow a fully built 35r setup in the end..

IMO .. It for sure the best setup to look "stock" though.. I wanted to get one because it would be a fun street car... but then I just realized that I want something with a lot more potential... Every one has different ideas of what kind of power and spool-up that they want..
Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Protostar1
I am comparing the two of these for purchase at some point... At modest tune these are not THAT far apart. Yes the 35r is a clearly more powerful turbo, but the RED is cheaper, spools faster, and is a bolt on. These cannot be compared in terms of maximum capabilities, but in terms of overall package on moderately modded car, I think this is a fair comparison that I would like to learn more about.
Actually they can be compared in terms of maximum output, but as I said earlier you can also compare them based on end user desires. If YOU plan on not building your bottom end and want something less expensive, spooling faster, and just bolts on, then why even ask this question. You already answered it. If in fact you ever decide to build the bottom end and go crazy then the 35r makes more sense and it allows you to upgrade to a bigger turbo because you'll have the kit already
Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Dont get me wrong i love the 35r, but the red has so much more to offer!! Spool up for one, its gonna be at least 1k rpm faster and make more torque! Also how many people is going to look under your hood and say, wow is that a stock turbo?? They want even know the difference! 35r's do make way better power when you crank the boost, but you still got that lag!! But in the end everyone will have their preference. But i say red cause of the spool and potential to go tens on stock bottom end! Also it looks just like the stock 9 turbo.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:45 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by sspaladin28
HTA 3076 = 57lb/min
FP Red = 56lb/min

How is 57 less than 56. There are rumors that it flows more (60lb/min), but it is advertised to flow at 56lb/min
your right i guess the 60lbs/min is just a rumor but i thought it was advertised at 60 but just checked buschurs and its advertised at 56
Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for what u r doing, it would be the red. but if you're the numbers guy, go for 35R.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

The red is essentially a bolt on stock looking 30r. Same flow rates as an HTA 30r, same peak HP/tq, just looks stock. Think of it that way and this is an absurd comparo, unless you just want to compare what makes more sense for each individual based on their desires...just like you would with a 30r/35r
absurb?!? whats in bold is exactly what im doing. Threads like this one open more eyes than roll them. When DB testing the HTA30R somebody put up a graph showing 3 equal set-ups just differing in turbos (fp green, hta30r, and hta35R). That graph showed first hand how those turbos compared. The 30R made more power than the 35R UP TO A POINT, then it was game over. What im saying is if the RED can out power and spool faster than the 30R then its more than a relevant comparison. Look at the the OP. Im comparing more than overall power. I know the 35R makes more overall power.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:50 PM
Account Disabled

i think a red well take a 30r anyday of the week
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Protostar1
thanks homie. this is exactly what im saying
Evolved Member

Read my post again because you are totally missing the point...I am AGREEING with you, but only after you clarified the reasoning behind your thread.

This is only a valid question when certain qualifiers are stated, which you did after my original post
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Let me claify, IM NOT DISSING THE 35R. I love the 35R and i WAS seriously eyeing one until the RED came out. What im saying in regards to power, that on a full bolt on car this turo can make pretty close to 500whp. We have already seen what this turbo has done on an all-out buschur car on race gas (530-ish i think. i gotta find the thread again). If you just made 530ish on your RED and you want more then the 37R may be your next step instead of the 35R. to me if you already have a RED with a built motor and want more power then the 37R is the way to go.

This is just a comparison/debate/informative thread on two great turbo options that we have.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Read my post again because you are totally missing the point...I am AGREEING with you, but only after you clarified the reasoning behind your thread.

This is only a valid question when certain qualifiers are stated, which you did after my original post
its all good were are on the same page now. i just figured that most people would do that considering thats whats done in every comparison post. in the OP i compared 8 different categories. eitherway, its all good.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

btw can somebody state what the 35R flows? I think is like or around 80lbs per min but im not sure.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

I have a different opinion than most. I agree you can't compare the two. The reason you can't is because the 35r is such a better choice. An ETS kit with a 61mm turbo with tubular mani, dp, ewg, licp etc. is like 2700. The RED turbo is 1900. I am willing to bet that the ets kit would blow the red out of the water for not a lot more money and way more parts. It will spool slower yes, but that is all subjective as to what is slow spool. The red is simpler. I'm just not sold on a $1900 turbo that doesn't make more power than this.

Quick Reply: FP RED vs 35R