Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP RED vs 35R

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Scott at TTP: How is it that the Red spoolsup at 3800 RPM and then reaches 32# only 200 RPM later(4000 RPM)? It's hard to believe 32# by 4000. No way! Naw!

4000-5000rpms flutter which is manageable.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
What gear is that Scott? Also what boost at 7k?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering

As some of you may remember, we caught a LOT of **** after the 'leak' of the Red on why it was forecast for release so far down the road vs. NOW. The entire reason for that was Surge Testing. We felt during the Alpha phase long ago it was entirely too possible a large fraction of the customer base would attempt to induce 'surge' in high gear and complain, therefore the original design was to allow for a (properly implemented) surge ported comp cover, which proved to be a time consuming endeavor. We could never induce true surge, just presurge (flutter, etc.) during alpha/beta phase. We have yet to see a combo that is able to jump the surge line. I suspect it exists, but as the above poster states, 'It is manageable'. You have to remember, everything is a compromise. To gain in one area, you must lose in another. This project (rev rot. EVO Red) is a perfect example of a four YEAR struggle to compromise around the factory footprint for housings.

If you insist on 5th or 6th gear 1500-3500 RPM up a 11% grade clean performance, buy a diesel truck. Or a Camry. Myself, I'd rather shift down 2 gears.

After living with this thing for awhile, anyone who catches me on the tech line and *****es about 'surge' will be emphatically encouraged to buy a Camry or a Tahoe.

Last edited by GrocMax; Aug 10, 2008 at 02:37 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 03:20 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, this is ridiculous. Okay...
I can see the mentality behind wanting to compare the two turbos but the whole "comparison" suffers from multiple flaws that turn it into the mess reflected in this thread, including:

#1- NUMBERS! EvoM suffers from excessive emphasis on dyno and other numbers, especially peak numbers. Not that this isn't useful info, but there's more to it than a dyno can show, and more to take into consideration when thinking about turbos. What about HOW THE CAR DRIVES? Just a reminder what all the numbers are for anyway.

#2- "Let's compare this to a 35R." As some have already stated, there is too much difference between the parts needed to run either turbo to make an accurate comparison between the two. Tons of 35R results are everywhere since a long time and come in all types of variations and combinations. Stock vs. built block, stock vs. built head, manifolds, pump gas, race gas, E85, blah blah blah.
The Red is simply too new to offer the same spread of results... yet. Just because we have what, less than a handfull of Red cars dyno'd and drag raced on the Red so far doesn't mean we have enough data to make a truly informed comparison yet, especially between a 35R. In addition, a 35R should still flow more.

They aren't supposed to be similar or comparable, like which is going to be better with 99949547 possible variations of it compared to the 889887348 variables of the other!!! They fill different niches in power, price, need, and market. Is that okay? If you MUST compare, please compare it to something at least a bit more appropriate, like a 30R.

*The "rumor" that the Red flows more than 56 lb./min and as much as 60lb/min. came directly from 9sec9/Tom based on specific datalogging he has done. Refer to "THE" original Red thread.

#3 "Since it's a bolt-on turbo, it's more suitable for the stock bottom end than a 35R. Yay it's a $1900 way to 450+ whp from stock with boltons! Let's even push it there on 91oct!!!"
... or so some seem to think I'm not saying X whp./tq can't be made on a dyno with either turbo on a stock bottom end/head, but BOTH of these turbos are capable of making more than enough power to exceed the limits of your stock bottom end if you actually drive the car hard enough and often/long enogh to enjoy all that power. With the level of power most seek on a Red or 35R, it warrants a built block.

#4- The people saying that this is the "ultimate Road Race and Autcross turbo", WHAT are you basing that on? The fact that it's smaller and spools faster than a drag racing turbo? Not all driving with "twisties" needs even remotely the same turbo. Serious and purpose-built road racing and autocross cars can require very different power and in different places. Do you even know what serious road racers and autocrossers run, win on, and need? It doesn't seem like it with blanket statements like that, so please, don't lump the two together and assume anything smaller than a 35R is "the ultimate road race and autocross turbo."
/rant. I probably won't even keep the subscription to this BS.

Last edited by hokiruu; Aug 10, 2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

We have tuned thousands of Evo's and in this experience have tuned every variation of the stock footprint turbo. Had one of the first EvoGreens, one of the first EvoReds.

In our experience, we feel confident in stating that the Red consists of a proprietary compressor wheel with a TME titanium shaft. We believe this to be the reason for the ultra fast spoolup and the reason the EvoGreen appeared laggy. We have tuned TME 6.5 shaft turbos before and the red exhibits the same characteristics as the TME based turbos.

We also believe that the reason that the HTA Evogreen threads fell of the face of the earth was simply because they tested the HTA Evogreen to such success that they gave it a whole new name. Hence the "EvoRED".
Interesting theory. I guess FP would sell more turbos by renaming the HTA EvoGreen to EvoRed.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
463.1whp/445wtq Mustang Dyno AWD 500
Sunoco 110 octane
Maximum boost 33-34psi with slight compressor surge to 5000rpms
Spoolup 3800rpms
32psi @ 4000rpms
27.6psi @ 8000rpms

FP EVORed Turbocharger 10.5 single puck with HP actuator, unported.
HKS 280 280, both intake and exhaust.
Adjustable exhaust cam gears 0/0
stock, stock retainers
ARP head studs
Ported coated manifold
Stock FMIC
745cc TTP injectors
342 fuel pump
Megan Tubular O2 housing
Megan 3” DP
Megan 3” test pipe
Megan 3” catback
Forge Evo 15 valve
ACT HDSS clutch
Stock ECU Custom tune by TTP-Engineering

Stock intake manifold
Stock head (no porting)
Stock shortblock
Stock Turbo Air inlet pipe
Stock upper IC pipe/hoses
Stock throttle body
Stock exhaust manifold (no porting)
Stock ignition system and coils
Could you post up that dyno sheet , any tuning on 93 btw ?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We have tuned thousands of Evo's and in this experience have tuned every variation of the stock footprint turbo. Had one of the first EvoGreens, one of the first EvoReds.

In our experience, we feel confident in stating that the Red consists of a proprietary compressor wheel with a TME titanium shaft. We believe this to be the reason for the ultra fast spoolup and the reason the EvoGreen appeared laggy. We have tuned TME 6.5 shaft turbos before and the red exhibits the same characteristics as the TME based turbos.

We also believe that the reason that the HTA Evogreen threads fell of the face of the earth was simply because they tested the HTA Evogreen to such success that they gave it a whole new name. Hence the "EvoRED".
The Evo RED (that I had in my hands and is now in my car) has a proprietary billet HTA 76mm CNC'd compressor wheel (which is NOT the same wheel as was tested in what was originally called the GreenHTA -- that one was smaller (47lbs/minute or so) than the existing Green (49 lbs/minute), which the one in the RED is obviously substantially larger @ 60 lbs/minute.

The RED also has a proprietary turbine wheel assembly that is larger than the one in the GreenHTA or the Evo Green. I understand that this turbine wheel was especially designed and produced by FP with characteristics that they determined would be a very good match for the 76MM HTA compressor wheel. That is a lot of time and effort, and a substantial lead time as well. This didn't happen overnight, folks. Does it ring any bells when you hear from FP potential competitors that " our xxxx product that will compete with an Evo Green will be available as soon as we figure out where to get a turbine wheel for it?" Well, custom sized turbine wheels are a lot more difficult to make than are compressor wheels, which can be had by machining a properly sized piece of aluminium in a 5 or 6 axis CNC mill. FP stepped up for us months ago, did their homework, paid the substantial cost of making precision molds, etc. etc. etc. and now has a custom turbine part that we're enjoying.

The Evo Red is NOT a more successfully tested HTA Green, nor does it use the TME turbine wheel, but I'm happy to hear that it spools like one

Last edited by CO_VR4; Aug 10, 2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
The Evo RED (that I had in my hands and is now in my car....
How close are you to firing it up and giving us your Red driving impressions? And what's with all the smiley faces, anyway? LOL
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We have tuned thousands of Evo's and in this experience have tuned every variation of the stock footprint turbo. Had one of the first EvoGreens, one of the first EvoReds.In our experience, we feel confident in stating that the Red consists of a proprietary compressor wheel with a TME titanium shaft. We believe this to be the reason for the ultra fast spoolup and the reason the EvoGreen appeared laggy. We have tuned TME 6.5 shaft turbos before and the red exhibits the same characteristics as the TME based turbos.
Sorry to doubt, and thanks for the boost log graphic. Simply incredible! Nice job of tuing it, BTW!

Incidentally, AFAIK the TME turbo had a Titanium-Aluminide turbine wheel, but the shaft is steel. At least, I think that's right, although I am probably wrong again.

Last edited by sparky; Aug 10, 2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

I have a mismatch in flanges on the downpipe to exhaust joint that will take a few days to have modified and TIG'd into matching up, and some AEM map changes to get the transition from the 35R maps to the new maps in shape, then I should be ready for startup again. I made a few more changes to the system than just the turbo swap, so the small things slow you down, sometimes. Work gets in the way of car modding sometimes, too...

As far as the smiley faces, well, that's just anticipation There will be more when the car fires up...
Old Aug 10, 2008, 08:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Scott, I an very glad that you are satisfied with the results of the FP EVORed turbocharger. I liken it to someone telling me that my newborn son is handsome

I think you got great results out of this car, and 460+whp is a handful of fun to drive to be sure. Thanks also for sharing your observations about the spoolup of the turbocharger. Many people on the board are anxiously awaiting "third party" results from tuners like yourself and need to see what tuners in the field observe in "normal guy" type cars.

Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PsychDr. HN$
possibly it does? but im looking at ur sig and it looks as if ur on stock block. if so, when u get tuned please post your results in this thread. if youre on a dynojet i hope that you make more than 470whp or you might have to eat those words.
ok i will post up my pump and my race gas map wen i get tuned. member im on stock ecu stock block no meth. in my own opinion u cant compare 35r at full potential vs a fp red at full potential.

Last edited by evoracingstar; Aug 10, 2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PsychDr. HN$
huh?!? the car that ran 11.3 was not on race gas and it def wasnt fully built. i dont think that was a professional driver either. it was 100oct and on 26psi. that car had a lot of STOCK parts on it.
Stock intake manifold
Stock head (no porting)
Stock shortblock
Stock Turbo Air inlet pipe
Stock upper IC pipe/hoses
Stock throttle body
Stock exhaust manifold (no porting)
Stock ignition system and coils

and it was full weight too. He prolly couldve hit high 10s with a ported intake and exhaust manifolds, 6mm throttle body, short routing uicp, and a diff air inlet pipe. Plus he said it wasnt his best driving. Also I never said it would outflow a 35R either.
Well you cant even lookm at this car as a liable source.. this dude OWNS FP and yea his car is going to be ridiculous..

either way you put it.. 35r will outflow any day of the week! all in preferance tho
Old Aug 10, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^^ To the contrary, FP's personal car is relatively stock -- the only major mod that most of us won't duplicate is the Motec, which was necessary for multi-source non-factory datalogging.

FP has no preference which one you buy -- the HTA 35R is the best of that genre, and the Red is a FP proprietary exclusive, so they've got you covered no matter which you prefer.

There's no question that the 35R will "out-flow" the Red, but the question is for most people is whether the upper end advantage justifies giving up some of the other characteristics that the Red has.

Plus, what exactly is the difference in the real world? The PR guys already laid down a 9.59 at 142MPH on the Red within a week of its being shipped. You only need your fingers to count all faster Evos than that, no matter how much bigger turbo they're running... and Dave Buschur is the only one who has run a better time than that on a 35R in an Evo, at least according to the list at DSMTimes.org http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...ype=evo&Page=1
Old Aug 10, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

PR's got Roly and don't forget... They got a green into the 9's so if people are misreading this - no buying a Red won't get you a 9 second evo. However for the price it seems so far, by far the best bang for the buck.

Quick Reply: FP RED vs 35R