Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose on a stock car?
HKS DP 2.65\" $400
48.82%
RMR DP 3\" $325
51.18%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

HKS Downpipe vs. RMR Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2003, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Noize
For any that doubt this, I challenge you to find a dyno run of an RMR unit on a 400whp car and then swap the HKS part on and run them back to back. The difference will surprise you.
OKAY! A 400 whp car ... exactly! I stated many times that UP TO APPROX. 325-350 or so whp, the HKS 2.65" is just fine. At below 300 whp (where most evo owners dwell), the HKS is a very logical choice, and may even work out better IMHO. Bottom line, below 300 whp, a 3" dp is either overkill, or the top end gains are so small that one most likely won't even feel the difference.

However, IMHO .... at 300 whp or below, low end torque loss with a 3" dp would become more apparent then the improved top end would be. To translate, I'm stating that a 2.65" dp is MORE ideal for this application (300 whp or below), hence why HKS designed it that way. I'M NOT ... AND NEVER INTENDED TO ARGUE THAT A SMALLER DP IS BETTER IN ALL TURBO CAR APPLICATIONS!!!

You claims suggest that most evo owners are interested in climbing the horsepower latter as far as safely possible like u; however, sorry to inform u but you are mistaken if you feel this way. The truth is, most evo owners are looking for a nice power gain for the street (daily driving) use ... and 350 + whp is NOT likely a hp number that most will see, simply because the car must be reliable as many use it for everyday use.

As for me .... sure I will swap to a larger dp down the road, because I would like to make close to 400 at the wheel someday ... as i consider myself among the minority of 'daily drivers' that prefer to risk running allot of power in a car used on an 'everyday' basis.

Just remember though .... that my argument is that the smaller HKS dp is ideal for a certain applications, but by NO MEANS .... would I be so uninformed to suggest that the HKS is best for all applications .... now can all we agree on this or not?

Last edited by evo1; Aug 28, 2003 at 07:27 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by EVO_RPM

Do you have the JIC with the extended tip so it doesn't burn or make your bumper black?
Correct extended no burning got it from boostsolutions.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

I sugget a full 3" mandrle unit in most cases. We offer a 3" 02 elim Turbo back that outflows anything currently on the market.

I am unaware of any other company offering such a high flow downpipe. The great part about ours is that it eliminates the restrictive stock 02 sensor housing with a 3" SS tubular unit.

I have down a lot of dyno testing with the EVO and have never found more low end power with a smaller downpipe.

We always make more power with a true 3" unit. We usually seem the same power down low and a lot more power up top. The bigger downpipe isn't going to hurt power.

We have relocated our 02 sensor from the older pic below. It is now lower in the downpipe. You cna see the design of our 02 elim where it gets rid of the cast housing.
Attached Thumbnails HKS Downpipe vs. RMR Downpipe-evo-exhaust-2-009-3-.jpg  
Old Dec 3, 2003, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

IF u plan on rocking the stolk cat. Go with the bushour 2.5 dp or the HKS cause there is no point of going from big to small to big again. It will cause turbulance and loose a bit of power sure it will make some but it wont live up to it potential.

my .02
Old Dec 3, 2003, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Well the O2 housing change is good idea but I made my downpipe to just mate up to it for two reasons. Number one, people want something that is easy to install and with just 4 bolts, this way is easier. I made it integrated with the cat delete so just bolt onto exhaust. Secondly, the larger turbo kits usually give you an O2 housing as I know mine and many others do so no need to change one now and in fact may make it incompatible with certain turbo kits in the future. Just a few other things to consider. I woulod go 3 inch always. It's just not worth it to go smaller.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

isnt the 2.65" on the 02 sensor housing flange and then opens up more on the other side?? just curious....I too am with the other guys, My heart is set with the HKS DP,UR 3" catdelete, and HKS 30th exhaust.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Guru
Well the O2 housing change is good idea but I made my downpipe to just mate up to it for two reasons. Number one, people want something that is easy to install and with just 4 bolts, this way is easier. I made it integrated with the cat delete so just bolt onto exhaust. Secondly, the larger turbo kits usually give you an O2 housing as I know mine and many others do so no need to change one now and in fact may make it incompatible with certain turbo kits in the future. Just a few other things to consider. I woulod go 3 inch always. It's just not worth it to go smaller.
I saw your downpipe and it looks very nice and I have always liked your little mini-cat in the bung trick

Does it clear the brase?
Old Dec 3, 2003, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Yes it comes with the gaskets bolts and the spacers and longer bolts to make the braces clear. It's all plug and play. It also is integrated with cat delete so no extra flanges to cause turbulence. No CEL either and the extar bung means you can either cap off the standard O2 bung (cap provided) or use it for a wideband O2. Very handy.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:54 AM
Account Disabled

Have you guys taken the stock 02 housing off? Not much to be gained there by replacing it if you are keeping the stock turbo......
Old Dec 3, 2003, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

You're absolutely right Adam. Only DSM 4g63's suffer from a smaller O2 that needs porting badly. I think mitsu learned and made it bigger.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

I have the HKS. unbelieveable craftsmenship. I got mine for $300 from AM Motorsports here in MD. It is flowing to a hi flow cat and tanabe ultra medallion. Just my 2 cents
Old Jan 16, 2004, 09:48 PM

Re: Reply to Eric

Originally posted by Mojo Powered
Hi Eric, this is Memed, I'm a friend of Mohammad's. We had met at a dyno at BM Tranny last spring, I had my black GTI with me that day, not sure if you remember me.

Anyway, I just wanted to say a few things since I have some experience on downpipe choice myself from my car. First of all, I have to say that my K03 turbo is as tiny as a turbo can get, running at 1.3bar. You can hear it whistling from inside the cabin with windows up. So it is running at full efficiency if not slightly over. My downpipe choice was to go with 2.5inch over a 3inch because of overspooling problems with the 3inch. When you're running that much pressure on such a tiny turbo, the last you want to have is overspooling.

However, I think evo's turbo is a decent size turbo compared to k03s or even k04s. Yes, you guys are right about the possibilityof losing low end torque with a 3" but I think the spoolup is much more abrupt and quicker with much less backpressure. So yes, the boost is not phased in smoothly or as smooth as it would be w/ a 2.65". But it will definitely help you to reach full boost easier. So in my mind, it'll make up for that roughness with added flow at higher rpms.

On the other hand, there's also the theory I was discussing with that Russian guy at the dyno (sorry can't remember his name) about accelerating exhaust gas flow. That could theoretically be achieved by a decreasing diameter catback. Actually, that theory even proved itself when Mohammad put down slightly more power with his 4" to 3" downpipe to a 2.5" setup. I remember as a comparison you had a 3" full turboback with pullies and you put down slightly less that day.

As a summary, although I am not be an expert, I'm all for a bigger diameter exhaust considering that evo is not a smooth car to start with. It's running 19.5 psi stock so in my mind, it makes more sense to me to go all out and go 3". Especially, if you get a full 3" downpipe like Vishnu or AMS. Matching that with a 2.5" or 3" catback should yield even better results.

In my mind, Mohammad's 4-3-2.5 setup is definitely ideal. I wish we had such a solution for the evo. Wouldn't you think that'd be the best setup to have accelerated exhaust gas flow with the least back pressure. Remember that these are turbo engines, we don't need that much of back pressure on high revving (6K+ rpm) high boost cars.... NA engines are a totally different story.

Memed
I think you've got it spot on for this story. Lets say the exhaust gasses are traveling through a 3 inch diameter pipe and then it goes to 2.75. As the exhaust gasses get to that point (or smooth transitional section) they will have to speed up in order to get all of the gas that occupied the 3 inch pipe out the back of the car. Ever notice how a very wide river flows slowly while one more narrow will flow faster? It's the same idea. As others have said, unless you are modding to the max on the stock turbo or are doing a turbo upgrade, the HKS is fine. Also something that has to be taken into consideration is what your cat-back or DP-back exhaust diameter is. As CACalomino said, you want to avoid "going from big to small to big again" and avoid going from small to big to small again.

I hope all that made sense. There is no one answer to whether 2.65 or 3 inches is better for the downpipe.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

I'm looking at this poll $400 for the HKS man either prices really dropped or you shpping at all the wrong places. $300 is a good price now and $325 is about average.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Not anymore, HKS raised their prices across the board and lowered vendor discounts. I'll find out what my new discount on the downpipe is.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

If I am keeping the stock Cat would the HKS do the trick. Does anyone actually have any hard facts or numbers to show me which of these two DP's will flow th best while retaining the stock cat and using an 80mm cat back?

Quick Reply: HKS Downpipe vs. RMR Downpipe