Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Teaser pictures of the new RPS billet twin plate carbon clutch

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2008, 01:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple quick ???. From the pics it looks like carbon coated metal discs. wouldn’t that make them prone to warping from heat and defeating the point of using carbon? Also would it be available in a smaller 7.25 version? Is that a aluminum flywheel? What is the weight of the unit?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dogboxracing
Couple quick ???. From the pics it looks like carbon coated metal discs. wouldn’t that make them prone to warping from heat and defeating the point of using carbon? Also would it be available in a smaller 7.25 version? Is that a aluminum flywheel? What is the weight of the unit?
perhaps thats why there billet? maybe someone with more knowledge on metals or the properties of billet can chime in?

i think a smaller 7.25" version would defeat the purpose as i doubt it could be packaged in such a small size and still hold 700wtq unless it was a triple disc...
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Wow....!
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

I have a Carbon triple plate in my car, it can't be better, but how long does the carbon clutches lasts ???
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

total weight?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by MZP@TeamD
The old set up was using factory style pressure plate(it's bellit aluminum now) and the base of discs and floaters were made out of steel(it's also aluminum) .We had some problems with the car moving forward on the lunch and some high rpm shifting issues,not to mention that new style is using hydraulic t/o bearing.When i pick up the clutch from RPS, ROB the owner of the RPS brought up a good subject,he was saying that one of the biggest problems with the hi performace cluthes is warpage of the discs and floaters,cooling them down after each dyno run or drag race run or back on the pits after road racing by just depressing the clutch pedal to separate the discs and floaters from flywheel and pressure plate helps a lot.
There were at least three versions of disc for the original pull version. I have one here that is just like the pictures in post one. It has the same alloy backed discs and floaters. Same rivet pattern. Problem with this clutch is heat of carbon when slipped can get astronomical and that heat has to disapate through the backing material. while steel warps more than alloy, alloy still warps as well. The alloy plates are lighter and will shift better. But this simply is not a good drag race clutch or auto cross clutch for most. In auto cross the heat will build up no matter what. In drag it could work if driven with minimal slip and huge cool downs.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Ihad the last RPS twin carbon clutch...

held up to some fantastic high RPM launches..one after the other.

however, the center clip on the pressure plate eventually gave way and that was the end.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo L
price comes with the territory, make enough power and you will NEED to spend that much on a clutch.

The exedy twin carbon (MSPR $3058) holds 500wtq the RPS billet twin carbon holds 700wtq (msrp $3295). Which one do you really think is overpriced? Unless your referring to exedy's non carbon units but then you can't really compare.

Is there a clutch out there for much less money that will be good enough for most peoples power goals? Hell yes, but for the people that wanna get nasty with the power the twin billet is pretty sick I'm looking forward to driving impressions
I was actually talking about the Exedy twin Carbon/Carbon and the price i have have to say is lower than $3058. People have tested the exedy carbon hundreds of times and know it works on cars over 500wtq and RPS just CLAIMS it holds 700wtq. Only time will tell and i am very interested in the results.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 11secEVO7
Ihad the last RPS twin carbon clutch...

held up to some fantastic high RPM launches..one after the other.

however, the center clip on the pressure plate eventually gave way and that was the end.
That must have been old design. The one I have has bullet proof locking system. You have to unbolt PP from fly to get it back apart.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SickSilverNLow
I was actually talking about the Exedy twin Carbon/Carbon and the price i have have to say is lower than $3058. People have tested the exedy carbon hundreds of times and know it works on cars over 500wtq and RPS just CLAIMS it holds 700wtq. Only time will tell and i am very interested in the results.
i was referring strictly to MSRP pricing and on that point i was accurate. of course both clutches can be found for less nobody pays mspr...
Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

i was referring strictly to MSRP pricing and on that point i was accurate. of course both clutches can be found for less nobody pays mspr...
hahaha....very true, no one does pay msrp.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

i just noticed the flywheel and pressure plate as well as floaters have carbon on them too, not sure but last time i installed an exedy those parts where not carbon, can anybody confirm this for sure? It's been a while since i did a clutch job, and IIRC i wanna say carbonetics does not have carbon on pressure plate or flywheel either... TTT for confirmation...
Old Aug 16, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

i just noticed the flywheel and pressure plate as well as floaters have carbon on them too, not sure but last time i installed an exedy those parts where not carbon, can anybody confirm this for sure? It's been a while since i did a clutch job, and IIRC i wanna say carbonetics does not have carbon on pressure plate or flywheel either... TTT for confirmation...
reread title of thread
Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
reread title of thread
Your an idiot if you think your talking down to me, most carbon clutches DON'T have carbon pressure plates and flywheels so come correct and do some research next time you wanna talk trash you clown