Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

With my supporting mods in my signature is the exedy twin disc a good idea with an MR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With my supporting mods in my signature is the exedy twin disc a good idea with an MR

So the question is with my mods which should be in the signature. Is the exedy twin disc a good idea on the MR 9. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Jon at TRE doesn't recommend anything over a 2900lbs. pressure plate on the Evo 6 speed. I am not sure how the twin-disc impacts that thought, but my guess is Jon might say no.

With the mods you have an ACT 2900lbs. clutch should do fine. I have more hp than that with a Green, and I have 30,000+ miles on mine 2900lbs. unit.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

I think its overkill, but it wouldnt hurt i guess
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the twin disc. It's probably killing my trans but there's no other way to hold the power. You don't need it at 360 dynojet whp unless you drag the car alot, in which case the 6 speed will die quick anyways.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

never mind this question, observant reading is the key haha

Last edited by camoner; Aug 12, 2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor

I thought I made it clear in my post. Perhaps you didn't like the answer/suggestion?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Exedy Twin HP will be perfect for your setup and it will hold up even with upgraded turbo. And it is much more streetabe than the 2900. Go for it!
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Exedy Twin HP will be perfect for your setup and it will hold up even with upgraded turbo. And it is much more streetabe than the 2900. Go for it!
I don't think Jon recommends that for the 6 speed. And since when is the 2900lbs. not streetable? It doesn't rattle like the twin discs can.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an EXEDY TWIN HD on my MR..I would reccoment this for a car at STOCK POWER LEVELS all the way up to 600whp or so..The clutch is not noisey at all, barely noticable at all even with a quiet exhaust, less chatter then most of the single disc clutches I have driven INCLUDING STOCK OEM, awesome pedal feel and engagement, not heavy at all, awesome shifting and engagement under racing conditions, plus it is rebuildable..I will not buy a different clutch for the evo for as long as I have the car unless I am forced to or something terribly wrong happens..The clutch would be awesome for your mods dude, I don't know why someone would reccomend a limit on the pressure plate rating on the 6 speed and not the 5 I have a hard time understanding the reasoning behind that though.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 03:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Petey Turbo
I don't know why someone would reccomend a limit on the pressure plate rating on the 6 speed and not the 5 I have a hard time understanding the reasoning behind that though.
I am pretty sure Jon recommends the 2900lbs. limit it because of the inherent weakness of the MR 6 speed gears 4, 5 and 6. It's cheap insurance as clutches are cheaper than tranny's.

If you want a technical answer, I would ask or PM Jon (GEARS on EvoM).
Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

I brought up this clutch specifically because sean ivey recomended it to me, and he has done awesome work for me so far, and he's a good guy but, I did wanna see if there are any other opinions so I will pm his guy, and then post the reply
Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

The gears only weakness is they're lack of mass, they heat up when driving in the same gear under heavy load for extended periods of time. I can honestly say that I truley believe any type of clutch will have absolutely zero effect on this problem and the only time you need to worry about the smaller gears in the MR transmission is when you get them hot enough to harden.
Just my opinion though.
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
I am pretty sure Jon recommends the 2900lbs. limit it because of the inherent weakness of the MR 6 speed gears 4, 5 and 6. It's cheap insurance as clutches are cheaper than tranny's.

If you want a technical answer, I would ask or PM Jon (GEARS on EvoM).
Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

AMS Performance recommends the Exedy Twin also. I am looking for that same clutch for my IX MR. I don't think AMS would try to mislead me either. With all the work they did, the cars going great. Yea i'm sure they would perfer the 5-speed, but I think the 6-speed is a bit stronger than everyone thinks. I beat the crap outta mine and at 25,000 miles its still perfectly fine.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Gears 1-3 are of a larger width on the MR then they are on the 5 speed, sadly the gears after that suffer from heat problems due to their smaller size..It's not really a stregnth issue, it's an engineering mistake that cannot be corrected due to the tight tolerences around the effected gears so no upgrades are available.
Originally Posted by YzBrad99
AMS Performance recommends the Exedy Twin also. I am looking for that same clutch for my IX MR. I don't think AMS would try to mislead me either. With all the work they did, the cars going great. Yea i'm sure they would perfer the 5-speed, but I think the 6-speed is a bit stronger than everyone thinks. I beat the crap outta mine and at 25,000 miles its still perfectly fine.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
I don't think Jon recommends that for the 6 speed. And since when is the 2900lbs. not streetable? It doesn't rattle like the twin discs can.

that is a poor reason to decide against a clutch

we dont drive BMWs

Quick Reply: With my supporting mods in my signature is the exedy twin disc a good idea with an MR