Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

coming in HOT...Spark Tech!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was looking forward to this, too, as I was willing to spend a little more money to get a great system, but $700 is not what I consider "affordable" either for a stock-based turbo setup. For a big turbo setup with lots of money into it, then I think this would be fine, but I was really hoping for something around $500, since you can get the regular one for not much more than this. I'm sure it's a great product, and I'd like to have it, but I'll have to try a used HKS DLI for $250 or so.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Pro Drag 4 did awesome today Craig. !Ill get the dyno vids up soon
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I was looking forward to this, too, as I was willing to spend a little more money to get a great system, but $700 is not what I consider "affordable" either for a stock-based turbo setup. For a big turbo setup with lots of money into it, then I think this would be fine, but I was really hoping for something around $500, since you can get the regular one for not much more than this. I'm sure it's a great product, and I'd like to have it, but I'll have to try a used HKS DLI for $250 or so.

I had the HKS and never really saw a improvement. Taking my gap down to 15 seemed to do the trick
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

That isn't normal with other cars, but I will find out first hand. If I can run more than a .019 gap, then I'll be happy. If not, I'll sell it and wait for a used non-CDI SparkTech (could be quite a while!!).
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Warrtalon...buy a used DLI and WHEN not IF it fails you'll have to pay a flat bet another $250 plus depending on where and what time it leaves you stranded you'll be out a few hours. With no box to burn out this system is extremely reliable. Our coils are warrantied for 1yr workmanship 2yrs. Try getting that kinda service from HKS
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul Nelson
The Pro Drag 4 did awesome today Craig. !Ill get the dyno vids up soon
Great to hear Paul..we need video
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Not looking for service - just looking for a normal-priced, affordable ignition amplifier. $700 is just too much for spark for my level of modding, and you can see that it's a theme already from multiple replies. I have no doubt it's a top-notch system that will perform wonderfully and that will receive great customer service from you. I just wish it could have been manufactured with lower cost (notice I'm not saying you are charging too much - I just wish it didn't have to cost that much).

I don't know many people who don't have towing service for $8/mo or whatever from their insurance, so not too worried about that. I don't think it's necessary to say things like that.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SparkTech
I suppose it could be built cheaper.....but that has been done before

We use Mil-spec wire....this stuff is found in F-16's, 747's and even the space shuttle.
That grey stuff covering the wires is also Mil-spec and rated to 392deg F. If under your hood of your Evo got that hot you wouldn't be in it
When I purchase a part for our car Performance, reliability, and service are TOP decision factors....am I missing something here?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sure that's what everyone would prefer, but most have limited funds in which case cost relative to gains is heavily-factored - that's how the free market works. For some, $700 will be worth it for their particular setup, but for many, it will be too much despite the great performance, reliability, and service.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

I know Chad at CBRD tried the hks DLI when they were going for there record run on pump gas stock ecu, maf.
He told me the car would take more boost without misfire than when using the hks.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok then go buy a 500 dollar hks or type unit and have issues with it from not working or burning out.... come on man. your better then that.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Save more?

I know it sucks looking at the price tag of $700 for a NON-CDI vs. 300 dollars more for the COP system with CDI. It doesn't make sense at all but it is what it is. It's a free market in America and you are free to be disgusted and challenge their price by making your own. No one is holding a gun to your head and saying "You need this and MUST pay $700 for it."

I chose to save a little more and go with something I know is going to perform when I need it and not make me a charred body encased in my car.

-E
Old Aug 15, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Don't think anyone is disgusted - it just seems high for what you get relative to the CDI system. If I end up with no alternative and actually require such a thing, I'll do the CDI one due to the close proximity in price, especially since the $700 is only an introductory price.

Evodan, I'm better than what? I always look for good deals, and I don't even require an ignition like this, so why would I spend $700? I am going to spend $200-250 on an HKS, not $500 - didn't you see what I wrote above? Anyway, if it doesn't give me what I'm looking for, then I'll sell it and leave things stock.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 07:10 PM
Former Sponsor

I hear your point...Quality, Performance, and Reliability has it's price.

The flat bed comment is a valid point considering the reliability factor of the DLI.

I realize your not bashing the product and appreciate the compliments Here at Spark Tech we are continually developing new products to meet the needs of our customers.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Craig-

Quick question, does this work with the AEM EMS?

-E

Quick Reply: coming in HOT...Spark Tech!!