Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch got stuck engaged

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch got stuck engaged

So, yesterday I was out doing pulls for tuning. I was focusing on the two step launch boost and did two back to back hard launches. The first launch slipped a little and then grabbed, the second launch grabbed immediately and spun the tires slightly. I then proceeded to shift into second but could not. After taking the the car out of first it would not go into any gear. My first thought was that the clutch had moved to a point where I needed more movement in the pedal to release the clutch. I have only 800ish miles on this clutch. So after coasting to a parking lot I found someone with a wrench and adjusted the throw on the clutch. Still no go. Next thought was that the clip holding the pressure plate fingers came off and would not release the pressure plate. Anyway I was at least 20 miles from home, I needed to figure out how to get home, so I started the car in second and power shifted my way home desperatly timing stop signs and stop lights. I did not want to stop the car as I would have to turn it off and start in gear again as this is the only true way I could start from a stop. Finally got home, didn't have to stop, man what a hary ride. So a buddy comes over and we look over everything and verify that the clip is still in place and everything seems to work properly with the clutch pedal. Bled the clutch line again. We were dumbfounded. Our final thought was that the clutch was stuck somehow to the flywheel or pressure plate. We went for a quick drive around the neighborhood. I started accelerating and once boost hit I pushed the clutch pedal in and with a quick snap the rpms went to redline. The clutch was free. woohoo. Everything seems fine, clutch sounds normal and engages smoothly.

Has anyone ever run into this before?

Should I be worried about surface damage to any part of the clutch?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like a potential slave cylinder problem.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:33 AM

Is this a stock clutch? Was clutch pedal hard and not able to push it all the way down?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

this was a newly replaced clutch. not oem. it functions fine now. slave cylinder functions fine. clutch pedal ahd normal feel during the issue.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:43 PM

sounds like you may have welded disc to pp. It happens on clutches that are slipped alot and get alot of heat. Most of the time they will come apart. Which clutch do you have?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Spec Stage 3. like I said in the original post it has come apart and functioning well, just want to know if there is a potential problem from this happening.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:25 PM

Good possibility of this happening again. If you are going to be launching car it is a good idea to look into multiple disc clutch