Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

cam gear settings

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2010, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Testing will be the most reviling.

Going some blind -2/0 or what ever might give you an idea of what direction to go, but you'll want to actually test it to verify it works best.

I've done a fair bit of cam testing on my car (Comp 280+ and stock IX) and I can say for certainty that a lot of the traditional thoughts just didn't pan out, particularly on the exhaust cam. I lost power every where going off 0 on my particular setup, and it reflected in in the VDR graph and the AFR. Pretty surprising as I expected powerband shifts and it flat out just lost power everywhere.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Guys,
recently my mech have adjusted a tooth forward on the intake cam side and my car now seem response better and also improved on mid range power as well...The idling is much choppier and the whole car is shaking.
I do like the sound but my main concern is will such adjustment harm my engine in long run as mine is stock cams,engine and pulley.

The knocking level shown on my PFC ecu commander now shows 55 ~ 98 which its never as high as now before...

Do i need a re-map or adjust the tooth back to stock setting???

Lastly,i do hope to upgrade either a td06hr 20 turbo or a set of gsc s2 cams but don't know which to put in first as i hope to get a more responsive low end power which enjoyable in city and sometimes track driving?

Please help

Thanks

James
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jameswwt

Lastly,i do hope to upgrade either a td06hr 20 turbo or a set of gsc s2 cams ...
Return the cam timing back to where it is supposed to be.

Get the GSC cams and forget about a 20G turbo. Save your money and consider a superior turbo option.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 01:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 313 Likes on 127 Posts
+1 with Ted

Return the cam setting, and get the S2's. When you install the cams, get some cam gears.
Retune it once they are installed and your tuner can adjust the cam timing to suit your driving style and requirements
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Ted B & RSMike...
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Thanks Ted B & RSMike...
np.

whats your goals for the car?
If you just want it to be fun, and not too laggy, i would recommend a 2nd hand evo9 turbo, run plenty of boost through it (25-30psi).
I wish i had done that to my car instead of the FP Red. Thats why i'm going 2.3+Mivec for my engine build. More response.

If you want more power (at the cost of response) then look at a FP green/red/black etc. But then you'll need to invest alot into your supporting mods, clutch, injectors, gearbox strengthening (especially transfer) etc etc

In saying that, with a good set of cams and 18-21psi (with an evo5 setup) you should be able to pull 230-250kwatw (aussie dyno numbers).

Cheers, Mike
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best cam set for hks 272 and hks 3030s ???????
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

well,im hoping to achieve 350whp if possible with just putting in a S2 Gsc cams...
But still, my main target is to get the car more responsive and have great mid range power as well.

Btw,can i just change to a new evo 7 valvesprings beside forged springs and rev up to RPM7.2K?

Its very difficult to find a 2nd hand evo 9 turbie...
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSMike
np.

whats your goals for the car?
If you just want it to be fun, and not too laggy, i would recommend a 2nd hand evo9 turbo, run plenty of boost through it (25-30psi).
I wish i had done that to my car instead of the FP Red. Thats why i'm going 2.3+Mivec for my engine build. More response.

If you want more power (at the cost of response) then look at a FP green/red/black etc. But then you'll need to invest alot into your supporting mods, clutch, injectors, gearbox strengthening (especially transfer) etc etc

In saying that, with a good set of cams and 18-21psi (with an evo5 setup) you should be able to pull 230-250kwatw (aussie dyno numbers).

Cheers, Mike
Hi Guys,Ted & Mike,
can i just upgrade a td05h 20g turbo for just picking up a little low end power/torque instead of cams???
My target now is 330whp for high boost and 300 for low boost at 1 bar...
Is this setup ok???
Pls kindly advise...
Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Hi Guys,Ted & Mike,
can i just upgrade a td05h 20g turbo for just picking up a little low end power/torque instead of cams???
My target now is 330whp for high boost and 300 for low boost at 1 bar...
Is this setup ok???
Pls kindly advise...
you want the upgrade the td05 to a 20g?
how much boost do you want to run for your high boost setting?
you should be able to make 300whp on about 18psi if the engine is in good condition on an evo5 turbo. If you only want 330whp, i'd say to buy an evo9 turbo and just wind up the boost till you reach your goals (or run evo 5 at high boost, 21psi +). You can pick them up from the forums here for pretty cheap if you can't find them in Aussie.

then pickup something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Turbo-Install...ht_1951wt_1137
Old Aug 17, 2010, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey ted ...
wat wud u recomend for bf272 and bb6765 turbo ?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:29 AM
EvoM Guru

That would be a waste of time and money. That turbo will cost you low end, and will give little in return. Ask me how I know. If someone gave me an option between GSC S2 cams and a '20g', I would take the cams and run.

Originally Posted by haseeb
hey ted ...
wat wud u recomend for bf272 and bb6765 turbo ?
I would run them straight up ... at least at first.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Really thank you so much Teb & Mike...You guys are more experience than my mech...Unfortunately as mentioned on my other post,my engine piston 4 & 2 compression were low and will it because ive move 1 tooth forward on the intake on my stock cams and engine which is causing high knocking and low compression?
Btw,do my 560cc injector able to cater for the stage 2 cams? im not pushing to the extreme as im hoping to get 320whp for putting in the cams...

Last edited by jameswwt; Aug 17, 2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:03 PM
EvoM Guru

stock injectors will run out of flow at about 330whp. but only if you have a upgraded fuel pump (walbro 255lph). If you dont have a good fuel pump, you'll run out much quicker.

if your car wasn't tuned for the 8degrees extra cam timing (1x tooth?) then anything is possible.
I wouldn't be planning on upgrading anything if your engine isn't in good condition. Get the engine sorted first, then mod afterwards.
If you're on a low budget, and you can't fix your low compression problems easily, just put in a good condition 2nd hand engine.

Cheers, Mike
Old Aug 17, 2010, 04:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Actually, each cam gear tooth is something like 17 crankshaft degrees (IIRC). In short, deliberately setting anything one tooth off is not a smart idea. I strongly recommend changing mechanics in favor of one who understand what this concept means and won't go around changing things.

Quick Reply: cam gear settings