Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

cam gear settings

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 07:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo-B
So my question(s) for you are:
Install cams and injectors at the same time. So long as your starting scaling and latency settings are fairly close, the car should run fine at part throttle, closed loop.

I like the timing of the GSC cams and don't really have any 'magic bullets' for alternate settings. You may find a little more peak power with the intake cam retarded maybe 1-2 degrees, but it may come at the expense of midrange and spool.

The resources I use when it comes to cam timing are twofold, the 25 years of experience I have with cam tuning, and the EVO cam timing tuning experiences to which I've witnessed and contributed here. There are some cam sets that need help with the cam timing (e.g. HKS), and others that are timed to settings that consistently give strong all-around performance (e.g. GSC, Kelford) for most applications.

Here is some worthwhile reading for those who want to learn how camshafts really work:

Engine Camshaft Basics - David Vizard

Lobe Centerline Cam Science - David Vizard
The following users liked this post:
VictorGarage (May 24, 2019)
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
Install cams and injectors at the same time. So long as your starting scaling and latency settings are fairly close, the car should run fine at part throttle, closed loop.

I like the timing of the GSC cams and don't really have any 'magic bullets' for alternate settings. You may find a little more peak power with the intake cam retarded maybe 1-2 degrees, but it may come at the expense of midrange and spool.
I have pretty good values for the injectors(at least I think) so I guess there is no harm in doing them as well and I have no interest in losing any spool. So my cam gears are truly for show!! LOL!! Thanks for the reading topics and thanks for your help Ted!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:24 AM

Hi Ted,

Recently I changed motors as my original one got a little tired. The old motor pulled well and made 255awkw.

We dyno'd up the car with the new motor and only made 245awkw with a chunk of midrange missing from around 3500rpm to redline. Total difference, 10awkw evident through the midrange to topend looking at my dyno charts.

I have a strong feeling its to do with the cam gear settings. I wasnt too sure if they were adjusted previously on the old motor when we ran 255awkw. My previous tuner claims they were, however the cam gear settings were now 0,0 when installed in the new motor when it ran on the dyno.

It would be appreciated if you could advise some optimal starting point settings to bring back my midrange to topend. Really miss it!

Vehicle: Evo 8 2L Stock build with ARP head studs non Mivec
Mods: E85, 260deg Tomei Poncams both In and Ex, Tomei adjustable cam gears In and Ex, Evo 9 Turbo, 24psi

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Try:
1 deg adv inlet
2 deg ret exh
The following users liked this post:
Panosevo (Aug 8, 2024)
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:21 AM

Thanks Ted, will let you know how I go. Getting it Dyno'd on Monday.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

hey ted
just ordered a set of GSC 274/274 S2 cams. I know i will loose some spool up but i would like to know what settings you would recommend for my set up?

set up:
05 VIII
upgraded springs/retainers/lifters
ported head
+1mm oversized valves
hks cam gears
arp head studs
act clutch and light weight flywheel
ams IC and piping
hks intake
invidia TBE
255 walbro
spark tech CDI COP
still on stock VIII turbo with 10.5 hot side (will upgrade soon)
AEM EMS
Old Nov 18, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The resources I use when it comes to cam timing are twofold, the 25 years of experience I have with cam tuning, and the EVO cam timing tuning experiences to which I've witnessed and contributed here. There are some cam sets that need help with the cam timing (e.g. HKS), and others that are timed to settings that consistently give strong all-around performance (e.g. GSC, Kelford) for most applications.

Here is some worthwhile reading for those who want to learn how camshafts really work:

Engine Camshaft Basics - David Vizard

Lobe Centerline Cam Science - David Vizard

David Vizard is the guru on small engine tuning...Great source and reference.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for evo8, evo9 turbo hks 264/264 camshaft what is the cam gear setting suggestion ?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VGergo
for evo8, evo9 turbo hks 264/264 camshaft what is the cam gear setting suggestion ?
what do u think on +1 -2 ?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 07:26 AM
EvoM Guru

It depends on what you are trying to get from those cams. Those are small cams, and cannot bring big power improvements. For the street, I might try +1/-1.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

It depends on what you are trying to get from those cams. Those are small cams, and cannot bring big power improvements. For the street, I might try +1/-1.
yes the car is for street . I bought it cheap with the fidanza cam gears. Trying to get some more mid range and high out put without/ or with little spool up loss.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:21 AM
Evolving Member

hey Ted,

whats the best setting for all around performance out of Kelford 272? I tried +2/-2, and was having a hard to set the idle.

set up:
EVO 8 2.0L
+1mm oversize valves
Full Race TS HTA86 1.04 AR T4
Ported Intake mani + 65mm TB
Double pumper
1000cc injector

Last edited by gepzz; Feb 14, 2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:03 AM
EvoM Guru

That isn't surprising. Use 0/0 for that cam set, 0/-2 for strict drag race work with larger turbos.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:59 AM

Has anybody a good setting for cosworth 272/272, for best idle and low, mid power?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Ted. I was misinformed, and it was 2 marks each, thus +4/-4. What do you think of that setting.

Quick Reply: cam gear settings