Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch choices, decisions decisions.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2008, 04:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by john.schuber
I've heard poor things about fidanza, but there is a positive review of the 3.2 on this site before you click on the forums. AMS will not even carry ACT because of all the problems associated with them like lock out, not to mention they're very hard on your transmission ( not my words, that is what AMS told me when I was purchasing a new clutch from them.) EXEDY HD cermetallic twin seems to be a winner. I think you REALLY need to go to a place that is used to putting in these clutches in our cars. They can be very trick so hopefully you live by one of the respected shops on the forums. As a last resort go to a respected dealer but you will be paying through the nose. A proper install is more important then getting the right clutch. I would also recommend getting SS clutch lines. My vote is for the exedy or the tilton twin cermatallic. GOOD LUCK!
Evom project cars receive free parts from various vendors. The Fidanza clutch was one of them. It was a positive review because it was free. They asked us to install it, however we were too busy at the time.

TTP-Engineering installs over 100 clutches in the Evo 2003-2008 annually. Its one of the jobs we are notorious for.

You cannot throw any ol clutch into the Evo and expect it perform well. If you select the right clutch for the car, whether single, twin or triple, all of them will work flawlessly without lockouts.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I LOVE my exedy twin HD and I would HIGHLY reccomend you get one..I can give you the name of a place for a CORRECT install as well for a great price..Get the twin HD or SD..
Old Aug 20, 2008, 06:50 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur Racing is a reputable dealer and installer. They stock Exedy, HKS, Fidanza, etc. I think if Buschur knew that a clutch was no good, they wouldn't sell it. Jarrod told me the Fidanza 3.2 was a good clutch, I think for a daily driver you wouldn't need anything more. A few track events and daily abuse and I think you would be fine.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 07:55 AM
Account Disabled

Every vendor stocks and or sells certain lines of products. Take it into consideration when making your decision. Do not let vendor politics with manufacturers cloud you from selecting a great clutch.

We have personally seen Fidanza failures. One of which happened to be our ASE Certified tech's own personal car. In 600 miles the cerametallic disc crumbled to pieces and destroyed the fidanza flywheel in the process.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

What makes the ACTs you sell not fall victim to lockout? I didn't have a problem with my ACT locking me out until I put my Red on. I don't know if its from having more power or what but the ACT gave me nothing but headaches at the shootout. I tried adjusting it but nothing helped. Anything over 7k and I had to wait almost a full second before I could get it into the next gear.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:09 AM
Account Disabled

Evey clutch is going to have its ups and downs. I have heard great things about Exedy and then I have heard they fall apart. I heard ACT was a good street clutch and then that was continuously followed by negative lock out issues. I don't think any clutch for that matter is going to be completely perfect. I think its hard to believe how in 600 miles the clutch failed. I have been on my stock clutch and I'm around 52000 miles and it holds nicely.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

I have the Fidanza 3.2 kevlar clutch and the Fidanza lightened flywheel and will never by anything besides Fidanza. This clutch feels stock but holds a good amount of power. IMO shelling $1600 + for any of the Exedy's is a waste of money. Price gouging at its finest.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:19 AM
Account Disabled

I think its a waste of money if you're daily driving on the streets with little or no track abuse. Exedy has proven solid as an overall one time fix.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

well guys you are making it very tough. ttp has mad a strong argument for all of the clutches and i would like to hear about their act clutch that doesn't lockout and why it doesn't lock out. I also think that proper installation is key in any product and their are a lot of clutch failures because of installation error.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:29 AM
Account Disabled

True. But before going with TTP, check around with other vendors (Buschur, AMS, etc) They have been in the game a long time and would definitely be able to take care of you.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:30 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 2highpsi
What makes the ACTs you sell not fall victim to lockout? I didn't have a problem with my ACT locking me out until I put my Red on. I don't know if its from having more power or what but the ACT gave me nothing but headaches at the shootout. I tried adjusting it but nothing helped. Anything over 7k and I had to wait almost a full second before I could get it into the next gear.
The disc composite and pressure plate clamping force are both contributors to high rpm lockouts.

With the proper singledisc unit, lockouts are a thing of the past.

With the EXEDY twin, plan on replacing the discs annually at $500 a pair + an average of $550 install and $50 in fluids.

Once the EXEDY twin overheats, the plates and discs warp and you experience lockouts even more often than the singlediscs.

Mellon has an ongoing thread regarding his continued problems with his EXEDY twin.

Our 2008 Evo X also is equipped with the TTP HD ACT unit and we can no-lift shift off redline in all gears.

We have installed, tuned with and driven Tilton twin hybrid, Tilton twin cerametallic, Tilton twin carbon, Exedy twin HD, Exedy twin SD, Cusco twindisc, ATS and Carbonetics twin and triplediscs, all ACT models, Fidanza singlediscs, clutchmasters single discs, EXEDY singlediscs. We have been there, done all that and our information comes from my own personal experience both on my own Evo's, as well as our hundreds of customers that employ us to install, tune and drive their own cars at the track.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Aug 20, 2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:04 AM
Account Disabled

So then if we are to go with ACT, what is the part #?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:09 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TheDream
So then if we are to go with ACT, what is the part #?
ACT HDTTP as previously mentioned thoughout the forum. There are also a handful of positive reviews within the Service & Review Section of the forum.

Here are a few examples of those using our ACT HDTTP clutch.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ighlight=hdttp

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&highlight=ttp

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Aug 20, 2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:20 AM
Account Disabled

How about their flywheels?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The disc composite and pressure plate clamping force are both contributors to high rpm lockouts.

With the proper singledisc unit, lockouts are a thing of the past.

With the EXEDY twin, plan on replacing the discs annually at $500 a pair + an average of $550 install and $50 in fluids.

Once the EXEDY twin overheats, the plates and discs warp and you experience lockouts even more often than the singlediscs.

Mellon has an ongoing thread regarding his continued problems with his EXEDY twin.

Our 2008 Evo X also is equipped with the TTP HD ACT unit and we can no-lift shift off redline in all gears.

We have installed, tuned with and driven Tilton twin hybrid, Tilton twin cerametallic, Tilton twin carbon, Exedy twin HD, Exedy twin SD, Cusco twindisc, ATS and Carbonetics twin and triplediscs, all ACT models, Fidanza singlediscs, clutchmasters single discs, EXEDY singlediscs. We have been there, done all that and our information comes from my own personal experience both on my own Evo's, as well as our hundreds of customers that employ us to install, tune and drive their own cars at the track.
I do also think that depending on your set-up/hp/tq output if you get the correct ACT combo you will likely have success but i would lean towards a heavier PP and def. a sprung/puck type disc not a full face to lighten up the inertial weight.

We have had problems w/ the RPS on a prev. customer car

We have 2 other Evo's that ran/run the Exedy twin and they both loved it and hold upwards of 400+ TQ (MD). The thing to remember once again is that the discs on this clutch are sprung as well allowing for a bit more forgiveness out of a DD.

Now i run the QM Twin w/ solid hubs and slow stop and go traffic an be a bit chattery.......but it does like to be slipped at a higher rpm so at the track it's all good

Quick Reply: clutch choices, decisions decisions.