Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch choices, decisions decisions.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
I do also think that depending on your set-up/hp/tq output if you get the correct ACT combo you will likely have success but i would lean towards a heavier PP and def. a sprung/puck type disc not a full face to lighten up the inertial weight.

We have had problems w/ the RPS on a prev. customer car

We have 2 other Evo's that ran/run the Exedy twin and they both loved it and hold upwards of 400+ TQ (MD). The thing to remember once again is that the discs on this clutch are sprung as well allowing for a bit more forgiveness out of a DD.

Now i run the QM Twin w/ solid hubs and slow stop and go traffic an be a bit chattery.......but it does like to be slipped at a higher rpm so at the track it's all good
The heavier pressure plate contributes to lockouts, especially when paired with a street disc - organic.

The HD pressure plate and disc with higher friction coefficient over clamping load is the perfect combination which is why ours works as well as it does. Stocklike pedal effort with 575tq holding capacity.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The heavier pressure plate contributes to lockouts, especially when paired with a street disc - organic.

The HD pressure plate and disc with higher friction coefficient over clamping load is the perfect combination which is why ours works as well as it does. Stocklike pedal effort with 575tq holding capacity.
Great to hear!

I had to learn the hard way
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
ACT HDTTP as previously mentioned thoughout the forum. There are also a handful of positive reviews within the Service & Review Section of the forum.
So, does ACT supply this disc special for you, or is this an off the shelf unit? Is it a 6-puck design or is it a full-faced disc? Any pictures?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:04 PM

I didn't notice if anywhere TTP mentioned if their cerametallic disc was full-face or a puck style disc. Anyone?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:44 PM
Former Sponsor

go with an exedy twin hd, This is the only clutch that should be on any car under 450 horse
Old Oct 16, 2008, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eitan
I didn't notice if anywhere TTP mentioned if their cerametallic disc was full-face or a puck style disc. Anyone?
precisely, this is exactly what I want to know. If it is 6 puck, how is it different from, say, the G6

Originally Posted by inneedof
go with an exedy twin hd, This is the only clutch that should be on any car under 450 horse
I think an exedy twin hd is a bit overkill for a sub-400hp daily driver application
Old Oct 16, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This past weekend I had the pleasure of drivng an EVO with an Exedy Stage 2 clutch. This was the clutch I had planned on installing when my stocker finally lets go. Well..... that drive was an eye opener. I nearly chipped a tooth taking off and my calf muscles still hurt from the 5 minute drive. You can cross the stage 2 off your list unless you want your left leg to be 3x the size of your right leg.

I've driven a Exedy twin car as well. The clutch felt excellent..... just a bit more grabby than stock. However.... the twin disk clutches are noisy. They sound like marbles in the tranny when shifting or idling. Most owers say you get used to it and eventually don't even notice it but I hate strange noises even if they are to be expected. The Quartermaster twin is said to be even more noisy than the Exedy twin so both of those are off the list.

A friend of mine has the ACT HDSS with ACT FW. It also feels great and shifts fine. It has stock like feel with a tad bit shorter engagement. I've had bad luck with ACT clutches in the past and refuse to buy anything from them now but I will say I know alot of people that swear by them. I swear at them.

I will probably end up with an Exedy Stage 1 to replace my stock clutch. I know they have bad reviews but those reviews normally come from people that are dumping the clutch at every stoplight.

My stock clutch has provided multiple 1.6 short times, an 11 sec timeslip, and held for two seasons worth of road racing at the 350whp level. That being said it only 12 launches on it and may never see another hard launch. I'm sure just about any stock like clutch will be fine for me.

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Oct 16, 2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

I have lockout on my acd hdss from day it was put on.. I wouldn't say it lockout, its more like a pause before you can shift at high rpms.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:43 AM

Same here with my ACT. I adjusted the pedal and that helped a LITTLE. quartermaster FTW!!
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the ACT HDSS, it worked well on the stock turbo. but since having the 35r, i always got locked out and now my tranny is toast

im upgrading to the quartermaster twin
Old Oct 22, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

I have an Exedy Twin HD clutch. It's 'ok'.

After 16K miles of use and quite a few track days, it still holds fine. However, the two discs do not engage evenly anymore, making launching the car a bit tricky. I don't know if this is due to uneven wear, or one of the clutch discs not fully disengaging. Either way, it can get annoying. As some have said, the twin discs also do sound like a bunch of marbles being tossed around in your tranny. The additional noise may or may not bother the stock ECU's knock sensing routines. I generally can't hear the clutch over my exhaust, though, so it's all good.

If I had to do it again, I might go with something else - hard to say, since, apart from the few quirks, the clutch has performed flawlessly.

l8r)
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

I wish I would of listen before about act clutches. I learned the hard way ..I'm saving up for a exedy now.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

I had the cusco twin. Another variant of that exedy twin.
It lasted me 60k miles. I had 2 full years of racing.
I also think theres too much friction for daily driving with a twin disc clutch.

I just ordered the ACT hdss kit. The clutch kit and the labor of installing it will equal the price of just the twin disc. My friend had the same clutch with no problems. I'm hoping it'll be the same.

I know I'm going to have to shift a lot slower now.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

another thing with act hdss with the lockout or as I would explain it, that little pause between most important 1-2 and 2-3 is the fact that your times at the 1/4 will suffer a good sec I think.

I'm a second slower consistently a 20g,cams, etc than i was with stock clutch/turbo/pump gas.

i log my runs, and omg, boost just drops..

its a shame, but yeah i'm goign with exedy twin/shep tranny

I love my act on my talon though.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

81k miles on the ACT HDSS, never had the lockout issue. I don't drag race, but do road race and the thing just keeps on going!

Quick Reply: clutch choices, decisions decisions.