Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch choices, decisions decisions.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Evom project cars receive free parts from various vendors. The Fidanza clutch was one of them. It was a positive review because it was free. They asked us to install it, however we were too busy at the time.
I am the author of that article and I take your comments as a direct insult to my integrity.

I wrote what I wrote because it was true, not because anyone held a gun to my head to make it all sparkly, shiny and pretty. The FD 3.2 clutch kit is a great choice for your daily driver, and I say that pretty sure I have just killed it at 20k miles. It performed flawlessly for the entire time I've had it. So basically we have Scott, once again trying to take someone's leg out to push his product.

Must be a reason why Buschur and AMS don't carry ACT's clutches on their website...

Last edited by Vapor; Oct 23, 2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

i got the act 6 puck. i like it
Old Oct 23, 2008, 04:37 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vapor
I am the author of that article and I take your comments as a direct insult to my integrity.

I wrote what I wrote because it was true, not because anyone held a gun to my head to make it all sparkly, shiny and pretty. The FD 3.2 clutch kit is a great choice for your daily driver, and I say that pretty sure I have just killed it at 20k miles. It performed flawlessly for the entire time I've had it. So basically we have Scott, once again trying to take someone's leg out to push his product.

Must be a reason why Buschur and AMS don't carry ACT's clutches on their website...
Profit margin? Political problems with Dirk Starksen? Whorery of ACT products on ebay? Who knows, I do not have these answers. We sell them all, including Carbonetics, Tilton, EXEDY, ACT, Quartermaster, Fidanza, ClutchMasters and install over 100 per year.

Charles Juckett asked us to install the unit in your car, however our installation schedule calendar did not jive at the time.

To reiterate, TTP-Engineering is a dealer for Fidanza. We can get them for our customers, however choose not to. Our OWN tech lost his in the first 600 miles as the disc disintegrated and ruined the flywheel also.

Having to go through that ordeal will definitely leave an impression on a dealer of such a product.

We apologize if we offended you with our post John.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Oct 23, 2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 04:38 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evokel
i got the act 6 puck. i like it
As many do...

Glad you like it. I believe we sold and installed it for you if memory serves us right.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 05:16 PM
Former Sponsor

TTP can you please pm me the price of your act and the flywheel combo shipped to 10550. Thx
Old Oct 23, 2008, 05:36 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Dsmhater
TTP can you please pm me the price of your act and the flywheel combo shipped to 10550. Thx
With all due respect, we can do that, however this is not the proper venue for that type of request. Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tilton carbon carbon...its that hotness
Old Oct 23, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
I've had the ACT HDSS and Gruppe-S flywheel combo in my Evo for 30,000 miles.

I get very slight high-rpm 4th-5th lockout and rarely (but it happens) 1st-2nd lockout (only above 7500rpm). The latter only happens when I launch.

Other than that, the clutch has performed FLAWLESSLY, with over 100 launches and 3 seasons of auto-x.

I'm planning on stepping up to a Tilton twin as my next clutch.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Well you're right on the 1st count, not so on the 2nd.

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...oducts_id=2009

I guess if you live and die by everything a shop says then I guess what they carry on their site or don't is going to be important. Lots of shops don't carry things for some of the reasons that Scott at TTP listed.

Last edited by t51splbb; Oct 23, 2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 07:48 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc

I'm planning on stepping up to a Tilton twin as my next clutch.
Baller status +1

no lockouts at 8500rpm...should be fine when I go higher too.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Profit margin? Political problems with Dirk Starksen? Whorery of ACT products on ebay? Who knows, I do not have these answers. We sell them all, including Carbonetics, Tilton, EXEDY, ACT, Quartermaster, Fidanza, ClutchMasters and install over 100 per year.
maybe. But more likely, probably due to the lock out problems. Everyone knows ACT is great for 1g and 2g DSMs, as well as for just about every application out there. It just seems a bit coincidental by your explanation, or logical by mine. I suppose everyone can draw their own conclusions.

Charles Juckett asked us to install the unit in your car, however our installation schedule calendar did not jive at the time.

To reiterate, TTP-Engineering is a dealer for Fidanza. We can get them for our customers, however choose not to. Our OWN tech lost his in the first 600 miles as the disc disintegrated and ruined the flywheel also.

Having to go through that ordeal will definitely leave an impression on a dealer of such a product.

We apologize if we offended you with our post John.
you need not repeat for my sake, I know very well the situation. In fact, I had nothing but good to say about you until you took a shot at my character. I work in this industry and referred business to you. My reputation is important to me, as I'm sure it's important to you. You wouldn't even know me if I fell out of the sky and landed on your head, yet you went off at the mouth (keyboard?) to plug your product. Then you offer a half hearted (at best!) apology... nice. I know when I have Evo work to refer in the Orlando area now where I won't be sending it.

Originally Posted by t51splbb
Well you're right on the 1st count, not so on the 2nd.

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...oducts_id=2009

I guess if you live and die by everything a shop says then I guess what they carry on their site or don't is going to be important. Lots of shops don't carry things for some of the reasons that Scott at TTP listed.
Suspiciously enough, AMS lists it for the Evo X but NOT for the 8 or 9. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:44 AM
Account Disabled

maybe. But more likely, probably due to the lock out problems. Everyone knows ACT is great for 1g and 2g DSMs, as well as for just about every application out there. It just seems a bit coincidental by your explanation, or logical by mine. I suppose everyone can draw their own conclusions.
We are as well speaking from firsthand experience with the unit as it has been used on a shopcar here.

If you do not select the proper clutch for the car, no matter who the manufacturer, you can and may have a number of problems.

In case anyone missed the point, we are retailers of Fidanza, however our recommendations come from personal experience with each and every model. We do this everyday. We install and drive about 8-10 clutches monthly for just the Evo.

You had mentioned an attack on integrity. If we were not aware you wrote the article, it does not make sense to say we attacked your integrity if we were not aware you were the author.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Oct 24, 2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Suspiciously enough, AMS lists it for the Evo X but NOT for the 8 or 9. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........
Well aside from all of the grassy knoll theories........you said ACT wasn't listed on there....my link shows that it is. The rest is just semantics with regards to whether or not they list Evo 8/9 kits or if it's just the X.

Since I have a mind of my own.....I buy things based on what I believe to be the facts, not what XY shop gets the better margin on and wants to promote......or because XY shop got mad at ABC manufacturer and decided that they weren't going to stock or promote a product.

The only thing suspicious is that the more you post on this topic, the more it appears that you are not as unbiased as you make yourself out to be and seem to have an agenda to promote Fidanza. Maybe I'm wrong, but since we're on the internet and as long as I can type it, there must be some truth to it.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

You had mentioned an attack on integrity. If we were not aware you wrote the article, it does not make sense to say we attacked your integrity if we were not aware you were the author.
So you were just talking out of your ***? Perhaps then you should check your sources before issuing blind attacks, else you live through PR blunders like this one. Either way it was uncalled for, and as you just admitted, unfounded. Thanks for the attempt at apologizing though
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by t51splbb
Well aside from all of the grassy knoll theories........you said ACT wasn't listed on there....my link shows that it is. The rest is just semantics with regards to whether or not they list Evo 8/9 kits or if it's just the X.

Since I have a mind of my own.....I buy things based on what I believe to be the facts, not what XY shop gets the better margin on and wants to promote......or because XY shop got mad at ABC manufacturer and decided that they weren't going to stock or promote a product.

The only thing suspicious is that the more you post on this topic, the more it appears that you are not as unbiased as you make yourself out to be and seem to have an agenda to promote Fidanza. Maybe I'm wrong, but since we're on the internet and as long as I can type it, there must be some truth to it.
I was just pointing it out. You can draw your own conclusions as to why they list for one and not the other, or why Buschur doesn't sell ACT. Or why TTP must modify a product in order to sell it as "won't lock out". In my experience, the most logical answer is the best one.

No where will you find me saying Fidanza is THE BEST choice. Its one of a few solid choices out there for mildly modified Evo's. It just happened to be the one given to me, I reviewed it and gave my honest opinions on it. As previously mentioned, it has nearly given up the ghost on me at 20k, which is likely due to my willingness to let my boss, girlfriend, best friend, etc drive my car, but that's guessing. 20k is pretty short for a lifespan of a clutch, and who's to say why it didn't last longer. I haven't decided whats replacing it yet, but I am leaning towards a twin plate or RREs no name clutch. I'll be happy to pay for either out of my pocket, and post a review if you'd like

All I have ever posted is my observations, nothing more, nothing less.

Quick Reply: clutch choices, decisions decisions.