Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch choices, decisions decisions.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch choices, decisions decisions.

well after months of research and searching i simply cannot find a clutch to suit my needs. my mods are in my sig and i am taking the proper precautions and planning ahead for my clutch upgrade when my stocker is toasted. I mostly autox but will probably hit the track and road course within the next year and probably go with cams and a green. After researching everything and seeing that im probably not going to go with ACT because of the high rpm lockout and all of the problems people are having with them. I then decided the exedy twin was the clutch. Never any problems, lasts awhile, takes abuse... the works. Now all of the sudden people are dropping their trannys every week to fix these broken ring clips and mellon is having trouble and people are toasting them after 1500 miles and such. That had me very scared because this is my daily and i cant afford to have my car sitting (or paying to have a clutch installed 2-3 times.) i just recently heard about the quartermaster twin and thought this might be the solution, but after hearing about how its not good for a daily driver and it wont last with a lot of normal driving and stuff like that, i became discouraged again because now im leaning away from that clutch as well. is anyone in the same position as i am? what clutch should i be looking at that i havn't already come across already. Im just thinking aloud here and am hoping others have some say in the matter. thanks again.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

I have had the ACT with the extreme duty pressure plate, an exedy triple (I know its not the twin), and now have a quartermaster twin. And for the mods you have in your signature I would definetly go with the ACT. I think the high rpm lockout is overexagerated. I never had much of a problem. I only think ya should get the ACT because I've had REAL bad luck with the exedy (splines of the clutch disc stripping out twice) and I believe the quartermaster may be a bit too aggressive for daily driving.

here is a thread about the problems I had with the exedy
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=360629

here is a thread comparing the weight of the exedy triple vs the quartermaster twin.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=363622

Last edited by Johnboy1065; Aug 18, 2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Victim of the high rpm lockout with ACT here, and it lasted 9500 miles, but with lots of racing (all types).

My favorite of the 5 different clutches I've used is the Exedy Twin HD, and I haven't had any of the problems you've mentioned - those are not common, and dropping trannies every week is an exception.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

I like my stocker, maybe when its time for me to replace I will get another one.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone using the RPS street clutch that TTP sells for 599? Any thoughts on it?

I've also heard the RoadRaceEngineering "No name" clutch is really good too.

I'm about to purchase a clutch, and am also very confused about which one I should buy.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:52 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the exedy twin disc HD served me well for hundreds of hard launches before it showed signs of wear (locking out) and requiring pedal adjustments. Now I have the tilton twin carbon and love it so far...never been able to shift this fast.

Last edited by Mellon Racing; Aug 19, 2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

alright well i guess thats good news in exedys favor. i know some of the problems are uncommon but seeing a bunch of threads about people having trouble makes me nervous. any other ideas?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:48 AM
Account Disabled

you have to keep in mind that people don't typically make a thread that says "I love my new clutch" so I'm sure you're only hearing the worst of it.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:49 AM
Account Disabled

Check out the Fidanza 3.2, I heard a lot of good things
Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

the way i feel about it.. its an agressive car. Ive heard nothn but good things from the exedy twin HD and thats what im gonna run when the time comes... shouldnt be too much longer.. TOB is loud as hell(grind).. clutch is still strong as of right now.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Go with the exedy twin if u can, I have the ACT and the "rpm lockout is real" it happens to a lot of us that have this clutch apparently. In the street the ACT is fine but in the track its a no no, either way I've searched for an answer to this problem and some members that have upgraded their shifter bushings, have said that it eliminates this issue, I personally don't know this for a fact but I have the bushings on hold ready to install so we will see.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:46 PM
Account Disabled

We do not endorse RPS clutches.

We do however have a special ACT HD-TTP specialty version with no lockouts and 575tq holding capacity. It is the comparable singledisc to the EXEDY twin and half the price WITH matching ACT performance flywheel.

Send us a PM if interested.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

i know most people here will disagree, but when it was time to get a new clutch for me, i went with the clutchmasters stage 3 and fidanza flywheel. decided against the act bc of all the lockout stories, this is before i knew about the quartermasters, and i couldnt afford the exedy.

i dont have any personal experience with the twin disks but most of what ive heard is good things. most people say clutchmasters dont hold for sh** but ive had no problems with mine.

im running the same mods as you, and its my dd. no prob holding the power and easy for dd since its not a puck clutch. had it for a yr now and 10,000 miles, no compaints.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

I just ordered TTP's clutch disc to replace my ACT single organic disc that served me well for hundreds of launches and no lift shifts. I upgraded my cams taking me to 450wtq and past my current clutches torque rating which resulted in 2nd and 4th gear no lift shift lockout. The ACT single organic disc is an excellent clutch but personally if I had to do it all over again I would have went ahead and gotten the TTP version. Good thing I plan on having some gear changes done to the tranny anyways.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

I've heard poor things about fidanza, but there is a positive review of the 3.2 on this site before you click on the forums. AMS will not even carry ACT because of all the problems associated with them like lock out, not to mention they're very hard on your transmission ( not my words, that is what AMS told me when I was purchasing a new clutch from them.) EXEDY HD cermetallic twin seems to be a winner. I think you REALLY need to go to a place that is used to putting in these clutches in our cars. They can be very trick so hopefully you live by one of the respected shops on the forums. As a last resort go to a respected dealer but you will be paying through the nose. A proper install is more important then getting the right clutch. I would also recommend getting SS clutch lines. My vote is for the exedy or the tilton twin cermatallic. GOOD LUCK!

Quick Reply: clutch choices, decisions decisions.