Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Motor work?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor work?

Hey guys Im about to do some updrades on my 03 Evo and I have some questions. I know that people will see this thread as pointless but there are reasons for me asking.
My current set-up
  • 9 turbo
  • Intake w/ LICP & UICP
  • Perrin TBE
  • HKS 272s
  • Walbro 255
  • Hallman MBC
  • BOV
  • 880s
  • BR Race FMIC
  • Ported and Coated o2 housing
  • Exedy Twin-Plate Clutch
  • Jestr Tune

I am ready to pull more power out of my Evo and I have decided to add the following parts........Red turbo, HKS EVC 6, race gas tune, and Megan o2 housing. Now my car has about 72,xxx miles on it and with those miles and the hell im going to but it through on the new setup Im wondering should I do some internal work? I have looked into pistons, rods, valve springs and retainers, and bearings. I have head studs but they have never been installed and I have read thread after thread on people saying you should have them and people saying not to. I also would like to know if I should port the exhaust manifold, do anything to the throttle body and the intake manifold.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:47 PM
Former Sponsor

you should be good for awhile, but i would start planning out a motor build if i were you. Start collecting parts when you see good deals come around.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

need more input please
Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
preferably yes.... 4g63 is bullet proof , but sometimes it can only hack so much

you should be straight with your new set up for a few months ...

sooner or later its gonna go BOOOM! jus piece together a rebuild kit when you can and when its complete well do a rebuild
Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

You should stick to pump gas maps only once you get a race gas map you have to keep on going in to upload the pump gas map and that is a pain and over time could harm things.

Building a block is not cheap even if you have the skills and times to do the job yourself. Good luck on getting a red anytime soon.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drano7823
...I have looked into pistons, rods, valve springs and retainers, and bearings. I have head studs but they have never been installed and I have read thread after thread on people saying you should have them and people saying not to. I also would like to know if I should port the exhaust manifold, do anything to the throttle body and the intake manifold.
- Pistons - no, unless you are prepared to have potential issues with the stock ECU
- Rods - no, unless you're going with new pistons
- Valve train - no, unless you're going with a bigger cam, or want to rev higher (not a great idea on stock pistons and rods)
- Head studs - yes
- port the exhaust manifold - sure, why not.
- TB and intake manifold - send it out to have it ported by wilson (through Buschur) and up to a 65mm TB

l8r)
Old Aug 22, 2008, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Of course, I vote for you to have MIL.SPEC port your intake manifold and throttle body

Then again, I'm kinda biased in that regard.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Are you still on the stock tranny/tc? Those, especially the tc might be worth looking into before building the motor.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06evors
Are you still on the stock tranny/tc? Those, especially the tc might be worth looking into before building the motor.

Yes he is and no I dont think he needs to build the drivetrain.

Nick, Depends on what your looking for, want a great spooling turbo like a green/red or something a little step up to a 35r?
If you have the extra cash around, with your milage it wouldnt be a bad idea to just go ahead and do some bottom end internals.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for everyones input....I am still currently on the stock transmisson and transfer case. I looked into Shephard doing some tranny work for because I know sooner or later this will be a issue. As we all know the 03's are known for having the worse problems with the TC. This is why I try to stay far far away from launching my Evo. I know some people may think building the motor right now is uncalled for but I think its needed. I dont DD my Evo and I have taken it pretty easy on the car. So with this new set-up im looking to well simply run the **** out of it (lol). MIL.SPEC how much would it be for you to port the intake manifold and the throttle body? But I really want to start building my motor (bottom end) so what parts should I start looking for exactly? and if someone is selling something I could use please let me know.....Thanks for the input Zack and its good to hear from you.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
You should stick to pump gas maps only once you get a race gas map you have to keep on going in to upload the pump gas map and that is a pain and over time could harm things.

Building a block is not cheap even if you have the skills and times to do the job yourself. Good luck on getting a red anytime soon.
we've (ecuflash community) had on the fly map switching for a while now, no need to reflash for a racegas map
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

bump for more info
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Nick I would start with a new turbo+manifold setup.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

What manifold could I mate with a Red turbo? or are you saying new turbo meaning 35r or something in that aspect?