Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Installed Boost Gauge...Now

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2003, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Boost Gauge...Now

Well, I just got done installing my boost gauge. Overall pretty easy, except I burned my rugs on both sides from the light I was using to see under the dash...hahaha

So I took for a ride to see what I have been actually boostin, and come to find out that I see a spike from 20-21 for a fraction of a second than tapers off to about 17psi. Is this normal? And is this OK?

FYI....I have 3"UR TB with test pipe, Buschur Intake, and WORKS ecu Reflash

Thanks in Advance

Ed
Old Aug 25, 2003, 06:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You may want to get a boost controller to avoid spikes like that (even if you keep it set at stock boost settings). Though it's still within the acceptable range, it's never really a good thing to spike like that. There's always the question (as you probably can't monitor it atm) of whether the engine is getting enough fuel during those spikes. Running lean like that even briefly can cause serious damage in the long run (or sometimes even immediately).
Old Aug 25, 2003, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

do you have an upgraded bov? i'm sure you've heard how the stock one sucks.....
Old Aug 25, 2003, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

i don't think it is uncommon to see 20-21 PSI with the full TB exhaust, but since i only have a CB exhaust i wouldn't know for sure. i see 19PSI on my car, then it tapers to 16PSI.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

I got a AMS CB, RMR intake, and im boostin 19 psi. I'm gonna install a Forged BOV, and HKS downpipe in a couple days. Maybe i'll get a little boost spikeage too.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the reply everyone.

I also wanted everyone to know that I tapped the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and I know that some peps have had problems with the gauges workin from this. Well after running for a little while last night, I turned the car off, and turned it back on and low and behold the gauge didnt work....WTF, I check all connections, everything is fine and then all of a sudden it starts workin again. So I dont think much of it turn the car off and come back to my car like 3 hours later, start her up, the gauge works immediately. So I figured out that the gauge only acts funny upon start up after the car has been runnin for a while. THIS IS WEIRD....does anyone have a logical explaination for this???
Old Aug 26, 2003, 07:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know my APEXI guage does the exact same thing. I'm tapped off the FPR also.

Sometimes I'll fire the car up and its fine, other times it take a few minutes for it to start working.

I dunno what the hell it is.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

You have to tap the boost pressure line before the fuel pressure solenoid valve. If you follow the fuel pressure vac line back to the intake manifold, you must tap into that short line between the intake manifold and the solenoid valve. If you tap into the fuel pressure regulator line after the fuel pressure solenoid valve the gauge will not work when starting the car when warm. When the car is started up when warm the solenoid valve is closed to help with warm starting. Hope that is your problem. If so it is easy to fix.

Brian
Old Aug 26, 2003, 08:03 AM
In Timeout

Does anyone have a pic of where this is? I am installing mine this Thursday and do not know where that is

Originally posted by TURBODAWG
You have to tap the boost pressure line before the fuel pressure solenoid valve. If you follow the fuel pressure vac line back to the intake manifold, you must tap into that short line between the intake manifold and the solenoid valve. If you tap into the fuel pressure regulator line after the fuel pressure solenoid valve the gauge will not work when starting the car when warm. When the car is started up when warm the solenoid valve is closed to help with warm starting. Hope that is your problem. If so it is easy to fix.

Brian
Old Aug 26, 2003, 08:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Check the pressure line for kinks.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 09:27 AM
Former Sponsor

TURBODAWG

Thanks for the reply. That was the mistake I made. I had tapped it after the regulator selinoid. Switched the "T" into the short hose off the manifold and its working like it should.

Thanks

Last edited by sr20det91; Aug 26, 2003 at 09:30 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

are you referring to the short line on the other side of the manifold??

But overall this isnt a big issue with the way the gauge works...is it?
Old Aug 26, 2003, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

The one on the left side of the manifold, near the front. It feeds the FPR selinoid.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

I think I know what you are talking about....it is really short...probably like 3-4"
Old Aug 26, 2003, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Here are photos showing where to tap.

Move to the passenger side of the intake manifold's surge tank

Notice the solenoid/sensor at the very left. This has two lines running to it. One from the surge tank where you should run the new line. Then a pass through line to the FPR. This is probably
where they tapped. Hence the delayed readings

Quick Reply: Installed Boost Gauge...Now