Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rattle from Megan DP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2008, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What ever is causing the rattle must be fixed as this will set off the knock sensor and kill your power. Try spacing the lower tie bar like everyone has suggested and if that dose not work, then remove the test pipe and inspect the inside baffle for damage.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jzapatajr
Um, the sway bar is actually ABOVE the DP. By adding washers, it would just make it worse. Maybe you are thinking about the tie bars...
My bad, thats what I meant, the TIE bars. Thanks bro!
Old Aug 26, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

I have the same DP as you.

Just lower the front tie-bar with washers (two 1/2" washers) or replace the bolts with longer ones and use a large nut as a larger spacer.

I have two layers of insulation and my fits without hitting, see below.

Old Aug 26, 2008, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Philthy748
Are you sure it's not the test pipe... I've developed a annoying rattle sound since I've had mine installed... I only hear it on decel and if I rev the motor high at idle, sounds very raspy too...
I don't like the Megan DP because of the sound. Mine is very raspy too. I was told it's because of the thin metal they use.

FYI.... I never had clearance issuses on my install. The DP cleared all the bars.

The only thing my exhaust rattled on was the heat shields. I just pounded them out a little and no problem. Off hand I can't remember if there were any heat sheilds around the DP or Test Pipe.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

the gasket and flange where it meets the cat or test pipe rattles against the heat shield above them i just cut the heat shield off near that area. if its the bars get longer bolts and washers for spacing.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 06:03 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by meltdown
I don't like the Megan DP because of the sound. Mine is very raspy too. I was told it's because of the thin metal they use.

FYI.... I never had clearance issuses on my install. The DP cleared all the bars.

The only thing my exhaust rattled on was the heat shields. I just pounded them out a little and no problem. Off hand I can't remember if there were any heat sheilds around the DP or Test Pipe.
Sounds like someone had a nasty leak. Mine is not raspy at all it is LOUD and I love it. My whole exhaust is megan from the block back and the sound is ftw.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jzapatajr
Ok. By adjust... do you mean bend them? Because that is what I was thinking I might have to do. I just don't know what to use to accomplish that. They seem very strudy.
i meant bending the hangers. maybe your hanger was off when they shipped it. i know that happens sometimes.

not sure what to bend it with...
Old Aug 26, 2008, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jp7
Sounds like someone had a nasty leak. Mine is not raspy at all it is LOUD and I love it. My whole exhaust is megan from the block back and the sound is ftw.
We've checked, reinstalled and checked again. No leaks.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
just lower the tie bars with washers or buy the kit from buschur racing
Old Aug 27, 2008, 09:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas guys! I will keep them all in mind as I work to rectify the problem.
I forgot to mention that the car has swift lowering springs, so that may be the cause of it not having enough clearance for the sway bar.

Last edited by jzapatajr; Aug 27, 2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by srajeremy
the gasket and flange where it meets the cat or test pipe rattles against the heat shield above them i just cut the heat shield off near that area. if its the bars get longer bolts and washers for spacing.
UPDATE: So you were right. It was hitting the heat shield exactly were you said. I just bent it back and that was it.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I appreciate it!