Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is it possible to dyno my evo fwd only?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I am ready to be flammed hard on this one but I had to ask. I did a search and found no answers. If you pull the e-brake it disengages the rear wheels correct? Would it then be possible to dyno the car fwd only? I know this poses a lot of other questions like how much power coud you safely run to the front and how much actually makes it there through the transfer case....
I only ask because the closest 4wd dyno is 500 miles away and I work for a company with a dynojet dyno. It would be nice to have a look at my tune.

Take it easy on me.

An alternative would also be, can you remove front axles to dyno rear only?

Last edited by Kurt; Aug 27, 2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Technically you could remove the driveshaft to the rear, however I don't recommend it as I'm not sure how many other issues you might have once you get to that point, I'm thinking this probably wouldn't work as expected anyway as long as the transfer case is doing its job, it'll attempt to transfer power somewhere other than the wheels your wanting it to go to.

In other words, go about it the right way as you'll probably end up doing damage.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

I remember seeing some while ago a red front wheel drive VIII. The guy got ripped off apparently bought the car like that while not knowing, and dynoflash Al was doing burnouts everywhere with it.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Dude, I would just go to the 4wheel dyno. God knows how the front wheels are going to do if you disconnect the shaft and what not...don't take a chance of paying for gas to drive there vs 1000+ in damage to the drivetrain and having to tow the car back..
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its doable, but probably will lead to other problems down the road... I wouldnt try it on my own car and i've done plenty of stupid testing for fun, so I def wouldn't try it on yours since you baby her.

Cheers!
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Well I will say I know it can be done with no damage on the DSM's. But a local tuner used to tune his son's 2nd gen DSM on 2wd dynopack. Evo owners did ask if it could be done and he did say no. The DynoPack reps informed him that it would cause damage to the center diff especially ones equipped with ACD's
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

now, that is the craziest idea i ever heard on this forum lol
Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:31 PM

Well how exactly does the ebrake disengage the rear end from running? No one has answered that, does it completely stop the rear from turning? I had my car on the hoist a while back and was looking for boost leaks and had forgotten the ebrake on and only the front tires would turn.

Last edited by partsman t; Aug 27, 2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by partsman t
Well how exactly does the ebrake disengage the rear end from running? No one has answered that, does it completely stop the rear from turning? I had my car on the hoist a while back and was looking for boost leaks and had forgotten the ebrake on and only the front tires would turn.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 01:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by partsman t
Ill save you!!!

The back wheels will never disengage from using the e-brake. So dont do it!
E- brake just applys a set of drum brakes (inside the discs) to the rear wheels keeping the car from moving NOT DISENGAGING THE AWD SYSTEM.

your best bet, use a vacant road and do a couple road pulls. I would say have a tuner do the tune just to be safe

Good luck

Evan Smith

Last edited by Vivid Racing; Aug 27, 2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 01:57 PM

It states right in my owners manual that when e brake is pulled power is disengaged from rear wheels. Like I said before I have had the car on a hoist with e brake pulled and front wheels turn rears do not.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

You can do it. You will need a welded center diff. Disconnect the t-case, drop the drive shaft and enjoy wheel spin. We just did it on my buddys 1g.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

believe it or not ams used to dyno cars this way before they got their awd dyno. they would disconnect the rear driveshaft.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, but to drop the driveshaft, you need to have a 50/50 split between your front and rear wheels. There are two ways to do this. The first is using a welded center differential. The second is to use a viscous coupling eliminator.

If you just drop the drive shaft and nothing out, you will burn up your viscous coupling and/or center diff.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like a headache, just make the drive man

Quick Reply: Is it possible to dyno my evo fwd only?