Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

a few questions about evo mods.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few questions about evo mods.

first, yes i am new to the evo8 but not to motor building/tuning/fabrication,etc.

anyway, i just wondered why you guys dislike the aftermarket "cone filter" on stock evo's?

also, what spark plugs do you reccomend running on an evo that is mostly stock(just boost controller)?

is the "re-flash" idea good if i still want to retain my warranty and is it traceable if flashed back to stock?

thanks, I love this car!
Old Aug 31, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Hello?........
Old Aug 31, 2008, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Open element filters are okay, but a lot of guys think the benefit of the larger airlfow capacity is negated by the fact that it's not taking in cold air like the stock intake is designed to do. Intakes in general are harder to tune for because they can distrupt the MAF sensor. Personally, I've never had a problem with an aftermarket intake.

Spark plugs - you can either use the stock ones, NGK iridiums, or NGK BPR7ES's. The latter is the cheapest route, but you must change them every 5,000 miles or so.

As far as reflashing goes, I dont know for a fact if the dealership can detect whether or not the ECU has been tampered with, but as long as you flash it back to stock before visiting them, you'd be covered. I wouldn't worry about that. I've never heard of anyone having an issue with warranty work over an ECU flash.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

I built my own heat sheild and 4" intake duct to my cone filter. After a hard 2 hour drive on a hot day, the filter is still cool to the touch. At most it may be slightly warm. Sometimes, it's actually cold. But the point is, it's the best of both worlds. More airflow, as well as cool airflow
Old Aug 31, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

well thanks for the responses. i appreciate it.

i have been reading a lot about cones messin with peoples full throttle and hesitation and whatnot. which is why i opted for a k&n drop in.

do any of you recommend a certain flash for a mildly modded evo over another? i am buying the tactrix cable from a local tuner for 85 and dont want to run just any old jokers flash ya know. is that jestr place the best one to go to for the flash?

thanks again guys!
Old Aug 31, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check out http://www.mellontuning.com/ he is the go-to guy for ecuflash or you can pm him here on evom....
Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Please utilize the search feature, or check out https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=330085
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:22 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by alloutDSM
check out http://www.mellontuning.com/ he is the go-to guy for ecuflash or you can pm him here on evom....
thanks
Old Sep 1, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

well i decided to test this "myth" out about the cone filter giving people crap, and here is what i found:

with all things remaining the same( boost controller still set at 20-21 psi) i hooked up the cone adapter and cone filter and......
the car ran like garbage.
the turbo was louder and bov and such, but the boost response was crap and under full throttle........ it was hesitating and jerky and just very very weak.

so i put the stock airbox back on with the stock filter and all. and...
bam! back in business. immediate response, much much MUCH more hop/tq!

so in conclusion;
a cone filter with adapter on the stock setup with boost controller= weak *** power and crappy acceleration.

K&N drop in is the only way to go unless you go get tuned for the other option.

hope this helps others out.

-nathan
Old Sep 1, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TeamValorRacing
well i decided to test this "myth" out about the cone filter giving people crap, and here is what i found:

with all things remaining the same( boost controller still set at 20-21 psi) i hooked up the cone adapter and cone filter and......
the car ran like garbage.
the turbo was louder and bov and such, but the boost response was crap and under full throttle........ it was hesitating and jerky and just very very weak.

so i put the stock airbox back on with the stock filter and all. and...
bam! back in business. immediate response, much much MUCH more hop/tq!

so in conclusion;
a cone filter with adapter on the stock setup with boost controller= weak *** power and crappy acceleration.

K&N drop in is the only way to go unless you go get tuned for the other option.

hope this helps others out.

-nathan
if you would have searched... you would have found this out .. putting a cone filter on an untuned car will not yield any positive results... you have to be tuned for every performance modification that you do to an EVO... period.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 07:52 PM
Account Disabled

yep, anytime you modify the maf signal or VE you really need to have the fuel/timing dialed back in.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boost3dxEvO
if you would have searched... you would have found this out .. putting a cone filter on an untuned car will not yield any positive results... you have to be tuned for every performance modification that you do to an EVO... period.
wow. search would turn up bits and pieces of mixed info???? i never knew that .

listen, not all of us have 2+ hours to spend searching a topic for a mixed result final. some of us have other things to do. so thats why its best to go out and get the info that someone couldnt simply type in a response.

thats why the "search" feature didnt work for me,
and thats why i did the test and posted 100% confirmed results so that if anyone did search this, they would get a conclusion and not a "problem with possible solutions that was never solved" thread.